Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It is a fine line. Most people make decisions that deplete their net worth. Others don;t make a decision unless it increases their net worth.

That sort of all or nothing?
No, the sort of all or nothing that draws a line in the sand between doing nothing and being a workaholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
I find the fact that people are attacking this man purely because he say he's worth alot, to be quite telling.

You don't know his age, his specialty or even how he made all the money.

But here's easy numbers- Anesthesia averages 350-400k out of residency. If you buy into a larger practice and rise over say, 20 years then the math works out. You also have good cash flow which allows money for other investment opportunities such as private hospitals, med spas and such.

So a guy that came out in the 80's in the golden era (especially if he was vasc or cardiothoracic) would be sitting pretty today based on nothing but his hard work.
Who's attacking him, Grey? Many of us think he's full of s***. That's all. I think his story of a young trailer-borne man who has worked his way to being worth $20, no make that $25 million is great. I applaud everyone who has gotten ahead by hard work and sacrifice.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
He's not ashamed of being a 1 percenter, that's what I took from it.
He disparages people that don't want to work hard, not people that work hard and just don't make a ton of money.

It's more about being a 1 percenter who worked hard and isn't ashamed of it- as well as celebrating those that know the value of hard work (getting all Ayn Rand here) and have a good living but not at that level.

Make the line- those willing to work and those not willing to work hard.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
He's not ashamed of being a 1 percenter, that's what I took from it.
He disparages people that don't want to work hard, not people that work hard and just don't make a ton of money.

It's more about being a 1 percenter who worked hard and isn't ashamed of it- as well as celebrating those that know the value of hard work (getting all Ayn Rand here) and have a good living but not at that level.

Make the line- those willing to work and those not willing to work hard.
Very subjective line that can be interpreted many different ways.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
I find the fact that people are attacking this man purely because he say he's worth alot, to be quite telling.

You don't know his age, his specialty or even how he made all the money.

But here's easy numbers- Anesthesia averages 350-400k out of residency. If you buy into a larger practice and rise over say, 20 years then the math works out. You also have good cash flow which allows money for other investment opportunities such as private hospitals, med spas and such.

So a guy that came out in the 80's in the golden era (especially if he was vasc or cardiothoracic) would be sitting pretty today based on nothing but his hard work.
I don't have an issue with self made millionaires. If they worked hard, then that's great. I DO have an issue with meanspirited, hateful people of all classes who think they're better than everyone else because of their political beliefs or social standing--and who make blanket assumptions about anyone who's different from them.

1,568 posts, read 1,552,021 times
Should someone who works 40 hours a week expect to reap as much as someone who works 75 hours a week?

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I went into the Army after getting a college degree, Big J. I could have found gainful employment making more money than I made in the Army every year I have been in the Army. My wife has also made enough money to support our family every year I have been in the Army.

I know this is *quaint* in this day and age, but I have elected to stay in because I figure someone has to fight these wars. It's called patriotism. Anyhow, again, you miss the point -- you need to quit making assumptions about people's personal lives based on their political beliefs.
That's called sacrifice. No one here would demean you for that. Well, not until you decide that because someone else didn't make that choice they're somehow the bad person. The divisive 99%/1% argument.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I don't have an issue with self made millionaires. If they worked hard, then that's great. I DO have an issue with meanspirited, hateful people of all classes who think they're better than everyone else because of their political beliefs or social standing--and who make blanket assumptions about anyone who's different from them.
You said a mouthful, friend.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You said a mouthful, friend.
Thanks.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Very subjective line that can be interpreted many different ways.
Very true.

Maybe I've been in Texas too long, but folks drop salaries routinely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies