Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes, but the city is preventing anyone with a tent or a sleeping bag, perfectly legal items to carry, from entering the park.

Prevent the set up, but don't stop them from entering.

Thats where the court case lies, and the fact that they had their private property destroyed because the city wouldn't allow them to pack up their goods and take them with them. They simply destroyed everything.

I don't see a reason why they can't camp out in a public park, don't homeless folks sleep there?
It's all in context Memphis1979. The protesters with tents have intentions.
Although I do think raiding in the middle of the night was wrong.
They should have given them an ultimatum with a date and time.

NYPD has been waffling back an forth (thanks to the mayor) on clearing the camp, then leaving it alone, then taking equipment, then leaving it alone and now raiding it and clearing it themselves.

Other cities are getting their camps cleared as well.
I wonder if some more "phone calls" were made to mayors ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
I don't say this often, but thank you founding fathers for our legal system. It seems to be the one last protection between us and big brother.
Most Americans love Big Brother, but won't admit it.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:21 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's all in context Memphis1979. The protesters with tents have intentions.
Although I do think raiding in the middle of the night was wrong.
They should have given them an ultimatum with a date and time.

NYPD has been waffling back an forth (thanks to the mayor) on clearing the camp, then leaving it alone, then taking equipment, then leaving it alone and now raiding it and clearing it themselves.

Other cities are getting their camps cleared as well.
I wonder if some more "phone calls" were made to mayors ?

The spin on the protestors has cast a negative light on them.

I did hear someone the other day say something interesting. When was the last time we had massive protests? The 60's and 70's really.

No massive, ground up, large percentage of the population has protested in almost 40 years.

People forgot how, this is part of the learning process. (someone please don't mention the TEA party, they were mostly organized by Republicans, and all and all a small percentage of them protested)

Old 11-15-2011, 05:33 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
The spin on the protestors has cast a negative light on them.

I did hear someone the other day say something interesting. When was the last time we had massive protests? The 60's and 70's really.

No massive, ground up, large percentage of the population has protested in almost 40 years.

People forgot how, this is part of the learning process. (someone please don't mention the TEA party, they were mostly organized by Republicans, and all and all a small percentage of them protested)
So because the Tea Party events didn't involve rapes, assaults, thefts, illegal camping, gun fire or health concerns due to horrible conditions you don't feel they were real protests? I'm very much glad that our Tea Party events didn't look anything like today's OWS, we're better than that.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 PM

773 posts, read 504,127 times
Ha ha ha ha!!!!

The judge just ruled against the loons. They can no longer stay there.

Bye bye crazy loons.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:42 PM

212 posts, read 126,652 times
They can still protest at Zuccotti park.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...manhattan-park

Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 PM

656 posts, read 648,821 times
re-Occupy Zucchini Park and occupy K Street, all day everyday. Stop the lobbyists.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:45 PM

212 posts, read 126,652 times
Occupy Wall Street protesters return to park, but can’t camp out

World News: Occupy Wall Street protesters return to park, but can

Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 PM

773 posts, read 504,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_156 View Post
They can no longer "stay" there.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
So because the Tea Party events didn't involve rapes, assaults, thefts, illegal camping, gun fire or health concerns due to horrible conditions you don't feel they were real protests? I'm very much glad that our Tea Party events didn't look anything like today's OWS, we're better than that.
No, TEA party protests had a start and end time. They were "rallies" not protests.

Protests, like those in the civil rights era and Vietnam war era never ended, they had major rallies, but it was a non stop protests, all the time, everywhere. Massive numbers of people camped out on the lawn in front of the white house, and in campuses across the country.

OWS is similar to that, because it had no party start, it was just people mad, and they didn't want to take it anymore. The TEA party was organized by Republican backers, it was nothing but Republican rallies, and thats all it ever was. And, as we see now, they've pretty much shut up because their message was silly and incoherent. Keep your government hands off my government healthcare, but don't tax me? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies