Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_156 View Post
Hours later, the National Lawyers Guild obtained a court order allowing the protesters to return with their tents to the park, where they have camped for two months. The guild said the injunction prevents the city from enforcing park rules on the protesters who are now looking for squatters rights, despite park rules banning camping overnight.

Read more: Court Allows 'Occupy Wall Street' Protesters To Return To Park Following Arrests, Eviction By Police | Fox News

Court Allows 'Occupy Wall Street' Protesters To Return To Park Following Arrests, Eviction By Police | Fox News

I don't say this often, but thank you founding fathers for our legal system. It seems to be the one last protection between us and big brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't say this often, but thank you founding fathers for our legal system. It seems to be the one last protection between us and big brother.
Do you still feel the same way now that the judges ruling was overturned and they cant return with their tents?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,046,308 times
Ruling really makes sense - right to protest, but not to camp out.

Seems the residents of the area are not happy with what the police did though. They wanted them out, yes, but not doing it in the middle of the night without any warning. They are expressing a view that the police actions & barricades are creating more havoc in the neighborhood than the protestors themselves now.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:44 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Ruling really makes sense - right to protest, but not to camp out.

Seems the residents of the area are not happy with what the police did though. They wanted them out, yes, but not doing it in the middle of the night without any warning. They are expressing a view that the police actions & barricades are creating more havoc in the neighborhood than the protestors themselves now.
If you tried to evict them in the middle of the day it would be a nightmare, the element of surprise is used for a reason and it worked well.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:46 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
i don't think the police had the right to destroy their property if that is what they did. i do understand, though, how people in these cities just want to get back to their lives and how the protestors need to be actually doing something constructive, which they aren't at this point.

attention has been drawn to the issue but they need a cohesive message, perhaps something like this which i found when i was looking into JFK:

John-F-Kennedy.net - John F. Kennedy vs The Federal Reserve

that's pretty eye opening , isn't it?

here's part of the message:

So, what can be done? My father taught me that you should always stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand up alone.

If "We the People" don't take some action now, there may come a time when "We the People" are no more. You should write a letter or send an email to each of your elected representatives. Many of our elected representatives do not understand the FED. Once informed they will not be able to plead ignorance and remain silent.

Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution specifically says that Congress is the only body that can "coin money and regulate the value thereof." The US Constitution has never been amended to allow anyone other than Congress to coin and regulate currency.

Ask your representative, in light of that information, how it is possible for the Federal Reserve Act of 1913, and the Federal Reserve Bank that it created, to be constitutional. Ask them why this private banking cartel is allowed to reap trillions of dollars in profits without paying taxes. Insist on an answer.

Thomas Jefferson said, "If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

Old 11-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Do you still feel the same way now that the judges ruling was overturned and they cant return with their tents?

Vacate means they dismissed it for now. The lawyers can go before the courts and try the case, and if they win the city loses.

There is no reason any free person shouldn't be allowed to carry their belongings through a public park. I'm not familiar with the laws of NYC, but if it were my city, I would expect the courts to uphold the rights of the protestors.

All this means is that its going to trial. And yes, the legal system is slow, and the city has fast lawyers, but in the end, they'll get their right back.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Vacate means they dismissed it for now. The lawyers can go before the courts and try the case, and if they win the city loses.

There is no reason any free person shouldn't be allowed to carry their belongings through a public park. I'm not familiar with the laws of NYC, but if it were my city, I would expect the courts to uphold the rights of the protestors.

All this means is that its going to trial. And yes, the legal system is slow, and the city has fast lawyers, but in the end, they'll get their right back.
Where you go wrong is
1) They were not carrying items through the park, they were setting up camps
2) The ruling was overturned by the very same judge that issued the restraining order.
3) They have no RIGHT to take property that doesnt belong to them.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:

The courts will uphold the protestor's rights, but they do not have a right to camp in that park.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:

That is not the rule being broken.
Camping out is.

Camping out and carrying something through a park are two different things.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is not the rule being broken.
Camping out is.

Camping out and carrying something through a park are two different things.

Yes, but the city is preventing anyone with a tent or a sleeping bag, perfectly legal items to carry, from entering the park.

Prevent the set up, but don't stop them from entering.

Thats where the court case lies, and the fact that they had their private property destroyed because the city wouldn't allow them to pack up their goods and take them with them. They simply destroyed everything.

I don't see a reason why they can't camp out in a public park, don't homeless folks sleep there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies