Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
No.
So why did you go on and on babbling about all of the taxes the poor pay unless you wanted to hijack and distract from the discussion?
Quote:
They both pay the same taxes in highly disproportionate amounts.
You mean like 51% of americans paying ZERO income taxes?
Quote:
Are there any wealthy that pay the same proportion in taxes as the poor?
Yes, but most people in the upper income brackets dont get to pay ZERO income taxes. So according to you, we should punish everyone who pays a lower rate just because a very small percentage of them get to pay less?

Tell me what do you think of the Obama debt commissions recomendation that MORE people pay, and that higher tax rates wont solve the debt problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:36 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Why do some people always focus the debate on the messenger and never the message.
In this case, it'a appropriate. The man said he feels he should be paying more taxes. There is NOTHING preventing him from doing so. Someone already posted the form he can use. But there is NO indication that he has done what he says he wants to do. Why is that? Likely because he'd prefer to stand in front of a microphone and SAY he wants to pay more, gaining him the admiration of sheeple everywhere, instead of actually paying more.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,263,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Same tired argument everytime. They don't want just themselves to pay taxes...they want all the wealthy to pay more taxes. They believe that is fair. You guys keep missing that. How is that possible.
that's the thing. they want EVERYBODY to pay more. noone is stopping them from paying more. they can donate whatever they want taxed. but who the f is he to sit there and demand someone else's money? my boss is a millionaire, he worked 21 hours yesterday non-stop. do you honestly believe that 40% or 50% or 60% of what he earned yesterday should be taken from his wallet just because this ahole thinks it's his right to control how much HE thinks they should pay?

like i said, he wants higher taxes on himself... fine. tell him to donate it. but he's not satisfied with that, he wants to control everybody else to his liking.

you want "fairness," then talk about a flat tax rate. that's fair.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
So you are for raising taxes . Sounds like you agreee with the CEO that taxes should be raised, the only difference is that he wants to raise it on 1% of Americans and you want to raise it on 51%, but the fact is that you both want to raise them.
Thats not what the CEO is saying. He is saying "the RICH" should be paying more, but "the RICH" paying more wont solve the deficits. Even the Obama debt commission stated this is true.

You dont need to raise rates to raise tax revenues, you increase the economy and to do that you LOWER the rates which increases the GDP which increases tax revenues. He's very clearly not discussing lowering rates is he?

You need to spread the tax liability around, not INCREASE them. Thats not the same.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-18-2011 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-18-2011, 01:41 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats not what the CEO is saying. He is saying "the RICH" should be paying more.
That's what I said. The CEO wants to raise taxes, on the rich, you want to raise taxes on the middle and poor class. You both want to raise taxes, just on different groups. His group is 1%, yours is 51%.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:51 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Lightbulb hmm...

Quote:
So why did you go on and on babbling about all of the taxes the poor pay unless you wanted to hijack and distract from the discussion?

You mean like 51% of americans paying ZERO income taxes?
So tell us -

How much should taxes be raised for the 51%?

This should be easy, since you've avoided the hard questions.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:54 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,215,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I know a forensic accountant...yes I believe ur correct...do you think Paulson engineered some of this? I know its been going on since the 70's.....

while people post partisan b.s. on here the US is being raped and pillaged 4sure.... I tried to finish tax law in law school....too dry but thats where the big money is bcs tax lawyers work for the people w. money in Zurich...who pay zero taxes in US and are billionaires.
I believe he did... Along with Larry Summers from Goldman/Clinton's Treasury Secretary and good ole Ben Bernanke.

I believe Bernanke cannot do the right thing... his whole career is based on the theory that these bailouts will succeed... BUT the math just doesn't work and all we will end up with is a devalued currency.

If we had let the Bankers bets fail and have a proper wind down and administration of these bankrupt companies, we could have put in place new rules (Glass Stegall) or old ones to ensure it won't happen again. We could have began rebuilding.......

Now we are faced with a lost decade, like Japan has dealt with for years.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I believe he did... Along with Larry Summers from Goldman/Clinton's Treasury Secretary and good ole Ben Bernanke.

I believe Bernanke cannot do the right thing... his whole career is based on the theory that these bailouts will succeed... BUT the math just doesn't work and all we will end up with is a devalued currency.

If we had let the Bankers bets fail and have a proper wind down and administration of these bankrupt companies, we could have put in place new rules (Glass Stegall) or old ones to ensure it won't happen again. We could have began rebuilding.......

Now we are faced with a lost decade, like Japan has dealt with for years.

yes, I agree. Thank u for an educated post.

In Hawaii I met alot of small business owners "forced out" of japan....so where should we ex-patriates go, now we see our 401ks are being absconded with by UBS bank, etc.... yes tis is going to be a deep depression I agree.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
That's what I said. The CEO wants to raise taxes, on the rich, you want to raise taxes on the middle and poor class. You both want to raise taxes, just on different groups. His group is 1%, yours is 51%.
No.. He wants to raise the RATES, I want to make it so more are paying.. You can do that by LOWERING rates which boosts the economy. THATS NOT THE SAME.
Quote:
So tell us -

How much should taxes be raised for the 51%?

This should be easy, since you've avoided the hard questions.
1% would be more, correct? You are a realtor, you can do elementary math, right?

Old 11-18-2011, 02:13 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Thumbs up wow.

Quote:

1% would be more, correct? You are a realtor, you can do elementary math, right?
You can't. You've proven this, shall I repost that?

Let me get this straight....

You'd like the 51% to pay 1% more than they currently pay in income taxes.

Interesting.

This is the funniest thing you've said all day. We now officially have tears in our eyes.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies