Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:08 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times

Advertisements

Dow Chemical CEO Andrew Liveris

Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength has been meeting with congressional leaders this week, continuing their push to raise taxes on the very richest Americans. “We want to pay more taxes,” said California millionaire Doug Edwards, a former marketing director for Google. “If you’re fortunate, and you make more than a million dollars a year, you ought to pay more taxes.” The group even told anti-tax zealot Grover Norquist that he should take his extreme positions and “move to Somalia.”
In a speech before the U.S. Council for International Business yesterday, Dow Chemical CEO Andrew Liveris joined the tax-me-more crowd, saying, “I can tell you the highest taxpayers, including me, should be paying more“:
Come on, everyone over a certain threshold of money — and you can define what it is — but I can tell you the highest tax payers, including me, should be paying more,” Liveris said during a speech on Wednesday night…”Come on, we are underpaying for our future.”
CNN Money noted that “while his speech did garner applause a few times, his call to raise taxes was not applauded.”
Poll after poll has shown that the American people favor higher taxes on millionaires, while several ultra-wealthy citizens like Liveris, Edwards, and investor Warren Buffett have all said that they should be paying more to support the country. A survey by the Spectrem Group found that “68% of millionaires (those with investments of $1 million or more) support raising taxes on those with $1 million or more in income.”
We can’t lose sight of the fact that Liveris’ company, Dow Chemical, makes its money flaunting environmental rules and corrupting the EPA. But when it comes to taxing the rich, Liveris is on the right side of public policy, along with a majority of both his income cohort and the American people. In fact, the only ones adamantly standing against such an increase at the moment are congressional Republicans.

Corporate CEO: The Rich, 'Including Me, Should Be Paying More' In Taxes | ThinkProgress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:51 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,854 times
I wonder how many are falling for this silly PR campaign???

This is almost as silly as the President whining about "loopholes" as if the Government is impotent to do anything about the loopholes it created!

"We want to pay more taxes" - right, and the Great Pumpkin will fly out of the pumpkin patch and the BCS championship game will be Wash. State vs Kentucky!

Hey, Mr. Dow CEO - NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU FROM "PAYING MORE TAXES"!!!:ma d:

I'll be glad to show you the US Treasury website where you can walk the talk!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/390514_10150462558230802_207770190801_10589403_575 106184_n.jpg (broken link)

He wants higher taxes so his upwardly mobile competition can pay them while he can avoid them.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/for...ormId=23779454

Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
I wonder how many are falling for this silly PR campaign???

This is almost as silly as the President whining about "loopholes" as if the Government is impotent to do anything about the loopholes it created!

"We want to pay more taxes" - right, and the Great Pumpkin will fly out of the pumpkin patch and the BCS championship game will be Wash. State vs Kentucky!

Hey, Mr. Dow CEO - NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU FROM "PAYING MORE TAXES"!!!:ma d:

I'll be glad to show you the US Treasury website where you can walk the talk!
Same tired argument everytime. They don't want just themselves to pay taxes...they want all the wealthy to pay more taxes. They believe that is fair. You guys keep missing that. How is that possible.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:58 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Same tired argument everytime. They don't want just themselves to pay taxes...they want all the wealthy to pay more taxes. They believe that is fair. You guys keep missing that. How is that possible.
Perhaps when they show proof they are paying more on an individual basis, their case will be made. Until then, it's assumed that they want their competition to pay more while he can offshore and hire more tax accountants to avoid "his fair share".

Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
How is it possible that you keep missing the fact that NOTHING is stopping them from paying more? How is it further possible that you dont comprehend that a higher tax rate does NOT = more tax revenues because it simply provides more incentive to shield and delay cashing out? Even your own OP quote criticized the hypocracy..

A survey by the Spectrem Group found that “68% of millionaires (those with investments of $1 million or more) support raising taxes on those with $1 million or more in income.”

People with $1M or more, are NOT the same people with $1M or more in income

Why do you keep embarassing yourself by putting your lack of knowing the difference between wealth, and income on display for public viewing? Ooh it gets even funnier because you post pretend "news" stories where the authors of the story dont know the difference either.

Complete embarassment to the nation!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
God, he even LOOKS like a liberal. That in and of itself is enough to discredit the guys opinion as absolutely worthless in the context of current affairs (ie. Liberals want more of your money to waste on pet projects, which happen to benefits companies creeps like this represent.)

Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How is it possible that you keep missing the fact that NOTHING is stopping them from paying more? How is it further possible that you dont comprehend that a higher tax rate does NOT = more tax revenues because it simply provides more incentive to shield and delay cashing out? Even your own OP quote criticized the hypocracy..

A survey by the Spectrem Group found that “68% of millionaires (those with investments of $1 million or more) support raising taxes on those with $1 million or more in income.”

People with $1M or more, are NOT the same people with $1M or more in income

Why do you keep embarassing yourself by putting your lack of knowing the difference between wealth, and income on display for public viewing? Ooh it gets even funnier because you post pretend "news" stories where the authors of the story dont know the difference either.

Complete embarassment to the nation!!!
Thank you.

You know - there are a lot of things I "want" to do.

I "want" to lose 30 lbs, go on a month-long trip to Australia & New Zealand, etc.

But, without taking the ACTION of better diet and exercise or being disciplined enough to save the money for the trip - it's all just an empty "want".

I freely admit I'm a bit cynical - and I'm VERY cynical when "CEOs & Millionaires" start crying they "want" to pay more taxes. Well, go ahead and pay more - be the example!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:46 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
You can bet that this guy has the best tax attorneys and accountants money can buy.

I would bet that he has things setup and will continue to be setup so that he pays a very minimal amount. There is an angle here. These CEO's and Corporations now rely on and try to buy competitive advantages from the Government.

No longer capitalism, that is a Corporatist Oligarchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies