Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 03:34 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
... and where does Buddhism stand on homosexuality?

The fact is, no where in the entire canon of Buddhist teaching and law - the collective canon known as The Tripitaka of which a book known as The Dhammapada is part - are gay people or homosexuality ever condemned, prohibited, criticized, or regulated.

The Buddha never spoke out against gay people or homosexuality.
That means it wasn't even a consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:35 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
... and where does Buddhism stand on homosexuality?

The fact is, no where in the entire canon of Buddhist teaching and law - the collective canon known as The Tripitaka of which a book known as The Dhammapada is part - are gay people or homosexuality ever condemned, prohibited, criticized, or regulated.

The Buddha never spoke out against gay people or homosexuality.
So you answer my question with a question? Do you have the other interpretations or not?

Where do I mention anything about Buddhism? I picked the next two most prevalent religions in the US and gave their stance on homosexuality. I merely did this because there's always this attack against Christians....simply to show that Christians are not the only ones with such viewpoints. Your deflection was stealthy indeed...but not stealthy enough.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Not legally it isn't, which is all that matters.
If it isn't legal to prohibit ssm, how come all but what is it, 6, 7 states Do ban it ?

What you really mean is that in your opinion and some courts, it's unconstitutional to bar ssm.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:38 PM

521 posts, read 860,206 times
If homosexuals want to get married, let them. I don't care what they do in the privacy of thier own home. Plus, if they want to go through the same bitter cycle we all do that are married, that's on them. They, too, can be stuck with the same person the rest of their lives and have their credit destoyed if they choose to divorce.

Also, let them adopt. Why would we keep these poor kids in foster care when there are loving parents ready to accept them into their home?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:43 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
This is the same with Christianity, too. Despite what the bible says, many support gay marriage and perform such unions. Do you have other versions of the Torah that dispute what I've stated is the written word on Judaism and homosexuality?
I believe - and let me state that I am NOT a Torah/Talmudic scholar - that the so-called prohibitions against certain male homosexual acts was a reaction against ritualized same-sex temple prostitution practiced by the Cana'anites back in Biblical times. I have heard even Orthodox Rabbis state there is no blanket prohibition against gay people in Judaism. Certainly not against Lesbians, although very pious Orthodox Jews would consider Lesbianism as "unchaste behavior".

This I do know:

Homosexuality is legal is Israel. Civil Rights laws protecting LGBT people in Israel are for the most part stronger than they are in most places in the US. Yes, there are big Gay Pride parades in major Israeli cities. Although same sex marriages performed within Israel are not yet legalized - it is still be debated in The Knesset - same sex couples who get married in a place where it is legal, such as Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Argentina, New York, Iowa, Massachusetts, etc. will be legally recognized as married couples in Israel.

Closer to my home, the local synagogue (Congregation Kol Tzedek of West Philadelphia) and it's Rabbi will marry same sex couples.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
I believe - and let me state that I am NOT a Torah/Talmudic scholar - that the so-called prohibitions against certain male homosexual acts was a reaction against ritualized same-sex temple prostitution practiced by the Cana'anites back in Biblical times. I have heard even Orthodox Rabbis state there is no blanket prohibition against gay people in Judaism. Certainly not against Lesbians, although very pious Orthodox Jews would consider Lesbianism as "unchaste behavior".

This I do know:

Homosexuality is legal is Israel. Civil Rights laws protecting LGBT people in Israel are for the most part stronger than they are in most places in the US. Yes, there are big Gay Pride parades in major Israeli cities. Although same sex marriages performed within Israel are not yet legalized - it is still be debated in The Knesset - same sex couples who get married in a place where it is legal, such as Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Argentina, New York, Iowa, Massachusetts, etc. will be legally recognized as married couples in Israel.

Closer to my home, the local synagogue (Congregation Kol Tzedek of West Philadelphia) and it's Rabbi will marry same sex couples.
............................so you don't have anything that disputes the *actual* Scripture as it reads in the Torah? OK, good to know. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
I think homosexuals are icky
You are entitled to your opinion.

Thank you for sharing your views with us.

This is a free country and we freedom of speech. If you wish to extrapolate a reasoned and intelligent argument why you hold such a view, you would be most welcomed to do so.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
............................so you don't have anything that disputes the *actual* Scripture as it reads in the Torah? OK, good to know. Thanks.
Why should I care what some book, purported to be the proclamations of some imagined, hateful sky fairy, has to say about homosexuality?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I am an Eurasian-American and a Buddhist and a member of the Theravadin Buddhist community. I do not think it would appropriate for me to speak for my Jewish friends and neighbors. I feel more comfortable discussing Buddhist teachings and tenants on any subject, including LGBT issues; my scholarship is focused more on Buddhism.

Perhaps we can get an opinion from someone in Jewish Community here?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:01 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Throughout our nations history marriage has been between a man and a woman, but over time society has become more tolerant and accepting of same-sex marriage which is currently legal in 6 states. Do you consider this progress or a step back away from our traditional values and for what reason?
I am against gay marriage because I think a family with a husband and a wife is better suited for raising children. I have no problem with gay unions where one can receive health care benefits. etc. from their partners. Procreation is an important part of humanity and being gay does not help bring babies into the world.
Be careful, Obamacare will eventually be singling out gay lifestyles as being costly because of increased healthcare needs, just like smoking, obesity, transfats....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies