Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 09:48 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,443,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

wow

I wish I viewed the world threw rose colored glasses.
Have an enchanted life.

I'm done with this thread.
Well, this doesn't even make a lick of sense, but ... okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:55 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

Interlocking arms do not pose an immediate threat to police, let alone a threat warranting "intermediate force."
They don't have to pose a threat to police to justify use of force - they have to be resisting arrest.

By your logic, police can't enforce a law until the law breaker poses a threat to the police. That is not how it works.

I don't mean to be snide, but what is your background in criminal law?

The school said 10 protesters arrested were given misdemeanor citations for unlawful assembly and failure to disperse. Eleven were treated for the effects of pepper spray, which burns the eyes and nose, causing coughing, gagging and shortness of breath.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:59 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
They don't have to pose a threat to police to justify use of force - they have to be resisting arrest.

By your logic, police can't enforce a law until the law breaker poses a threat to the police. That is not how it works.

I don't mean to be snide, but what is your background in criminal law?

The school said 10 protesters arrested were given misdemeanor citations for unlawful assembly and failure to disperse. Eleven were treated for the effects of pepper spray, which burns the eyes and nose, causing coughing, gagging and shortness of breath.
Be prepared for no answer to her qualifications as well as being told you have comprehension issues, as do the rest of those who "just don't get it".

Old 11-27-2011, 02:53 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
No, she is assuming, correctly, that police do not have the right to pepper spray anyone that they see breaking a law. You guys can quote the student code of conduct or statutes on blocking sidewalks as much as you want. The fact that they were breaking both makes no difference, at all. The cops should have arrested the students involved without using weapons such as pepper spray.
LOL... You just can't make your crap up as you go along, you're not congress. Tell us how they were going to arrest 10 people arm-locked...?

Old 11-27-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I already explained this to you.

Case law from other jurisdictions can be considered. It is not binding.

Nor does your case address the use of force issue. How I'm applying it? The court applied it. To understand why, all you'd have to do is read the findings, which I linked to in my very first post in this thread. But since it's unlikely you will read it on your own, here you go: There's further explanation at the source if you bother to read it.

No. 09 Don't speak for me.
You don't seem to understand that this wasn't a single person. There is a difference when it turns from a single person into a group or a crowd.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-27-2011 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 11-27-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
No, she is assuming, correctly, that police do not have the right to pepper spray anyone that they see breaking a law. You guys can quote the student code of conduct or statutes on blocking sidewalks as much as you want. The fact that they were breaking both makes no difference, at all. The cops should have arrested the students involved without using weapons such as pepper spray.
4th amendment:

Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:

To use the degree of force they did in this case, yes they do. Read the cited case law and the three criteria the courts use to determine if the use of force was warranted. In this case it was not.
Quote:

That's just a silly leap you took there. I never said nor implied that. Go back and read.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,040 times
That case explicitly mentions the suspect's passive resistance as opposed to his active resistance - you still haven't answered my question - is the interlocking of arms considered active resistance?

If so, then the facts of the Young case do not necessarily correspond to the facts in this incident.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:

is the interlocking of arms considered active resistance?
The students were not resisting arrest. They hadn't been placed under arrest. They were protesting. Nor had Young been placed under arrest.

I just don't understand why you people won't just read the damn case. It's all right there.

These are the 3 criteria the court uses to determine whether the use of force is allowable:
In evaluating the government's interest in the use of force we look to:

(1) the severity of the crime at issue,

(2) whether the suspect posed an immediate threat to the safety of the officers or others, and

(3) whether the suspect was actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight.
These criteria arise from Miller, 340 F.3d at 964.

In the case of the UC Davis incident:
(1) The crime was not "severe."

(2) The students did not pose an immediate threat to the safety of the officers or others.

(3) The students were not actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight. They were not placed under arrest before they were pepper sprayed.

Last edited by Jill61; 11-27-2011 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 05:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
It's the Americans who get lumps in their patriotic throats and tears in their star-spangled eyes who don't like to see people protest...much less get away with it! Teach the protestors a lesson they'll never forget! And let that serve as a lesson to anyone else who even thinks about protesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies