Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 05:14 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
It's the Americans who get lumps in their patriotic throats and tears in their star-spangled eyes who don't like to see people protest...much less get away with it! Teach the protestors a lesson they'll never forget! And let that serve as a lesson to anyone else who even thinks about protesting.
????? There are legal and civil ways to protest. Breaking the law is not it. And in America, everyone's rights are protected. Not just those of protesters. Once the exercising (illegally) of their rights start encroaching upon and impede the rights of others, that is where the authorities here step in. So many foreigners, I have found, are so ignorant of the USA. And yet they accuse us of being ignorant of them!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 05:33 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,437,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post

????? There are legal and civil ways to protest. Breaking the law is not it. And in America, everyone's rights are protected. Not just those of protesters. Once the exercising (illegally) of their rights start encroaching upon and impede the rights of others, that is where the authorities here step in. So many foreigners, I have found, are so ignorant of the USA. And yet they accuse us of being ignorant of them!!
Based on the majority of the replies in this thread, I'd say most of them are pretty ignorant. Hell, most won't even do the most basic things to cure their ignorance. And that's a damn shame.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:39 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Actually, it doesn't matter how much warning they gave. Pepper spray shouldn't be used on peaceful protesters. The cops would have been better off ignoring the circle kids, or at most simply unlinking them and arresting them, which is what police normally do.

I always find it odd that the "small government" types think it's okay for cops to do whatever they wish, and that citizens have no rights that hold against them.
I find it odder that people feel that this small group of peaceful protesters have more rights than all of the other people who's lives they are disrupting by tying up parks, sidewalks, streets and everything else they do to interrupt everyone else's lives.

One of these days the people they are inconveniencing, is going to take action, and it won't be pepper spray.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:23 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
Quote:
1.The best way to make protesters unlawful is to charge them with rapes, murders, thievery, vandalism, communism, cannibalism, arson, making death threats, etc.
2. Have the mass media relay the above message to the nation.
3. Have the police move in and use force.
4. America will cheer and be thankful that the unemployed, free-loading, stinking, commie, scum, vermin, poor excuses for humans, etc have been removed.
Goon Bless Amerika!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
1.The best way to make protesters unlawful is to charge them with rapes, murders, thievery, vandalism, communism, cannibalism, arson, making death threats, etc.
2. Have the mass media relay the above message to the nation.
3. Have the police move in and use force.
4. America will cheer and be thankful that the unemployed, free-loading, stinking, commie, scum, vermin, poor excuses for humans, etc have been removed.
Goon Bless Amerika!
Haven't heard about cannabalism, but I wouldn't put it pass the OWS!! And are you saying that is all made up? All lies? We have videos. Even the OWS itself is saying it wants to do acts of "civil disobedience" and disrupt people's lives to "get their message out".

And the best way to make protestsers unlawful is when they break the law.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:35 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
Quote:
Haven't heard about cannabalism, but I wouldn't put it pass the OWS!! And are you saying that is all made up? All lies? We have videos. Even the OWS itself is saying it wants to do acts of "civil disobedience" and disrupt people's lives to "get their message out".

And the best way to make protestsers unlawful is when they break the law.
They also sold sensitive weapons secrets to the USSR.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I find it odder that people feel that this small group of peaceful protesters have more rights than all of the other people who's lives they are disrupting by tying up parks, sidewalks, streets and everything else they do to interrupt everyone else's lives.

One of these days the people they are inconveniencing, is going to take action, and it won't be pepper spray.
Already happened :
Occupy Oakland - Man Runs Over Protesters - YouTube . The driver is my hero!! Those idiot protesters who think they have a right to break the law and impede on the rights of others should be arrested. The cops did the right thing at the scene.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:45 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
The students were not resisting arrest. They hadn't been placed under arrest. They were protesting. Nor had Young been placed under arrest.

I just don't understand why you people won't just read the damn case. It's all right there.

These are the 3 criteria the court uses to determine whether the use of force is allowable:
In evaluating the government's interest in the use of force we look to:

(1) the severity of the crime at issue,

(2) whether the suspect posed an immediate threat to the safety of the officers or others, and

(3) whether the suspect was actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight.
These criteria arise from Miller, 340 F.3d at 964.

In the case of the UC Davis incident:
(1) The crime was not "severe."

(2) The students did not pose an immediate threat to the safety of the officers or others.

(3) The students were not actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight. They were not placed under arrest before they were pepper sprayed.
I've read the damn case - your problem is that you are making assumptions regarding the facts at hand in regard to what happened to UC Davis - those facts matter when applying the criteria you outline - you assume they weren't resisting arrest, I disagree, and I suspect the police reports will disagree with that as well.

Are you sure the students hadn't been given a lawful order to disperse, and then refused that lawful order, and interlocked their arms in anticipation of the police placing them under arrest? The police could therefore articulate that the protesters by interlocking their arms were resisting arrest... The pepper spray was thus utilized to effect an arrest.

After all, has an arrest occurred prior to a person being taken into physical custody? The police don't arrest a person and then detain them, they detain a person and then arrest them (or it occurs simultaneously). By your logic, the police can't use force until they have a person in their physical custody - but they can't use force to get a person into physical custody...

The authority of the justice system is paramount to a functioning society - ignoring the police (or the court) is in and of itself a serious offense - the underlying offense that leads to the exertion of police authority is irrelevant when determining if force should be used to effect that authority.

If a person believes the police don't have the authority to arrest them, the proper venue to address that problem is in court, not by resisting arrest.

Last edited by rimmerama; 11-27-2011 at 09:55 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
The police are shown politely giving individual warnings of what was to come if the protesters did not move as commanded. What else were the police supposed to do? The protesters would not let the officers leave. They defied the orders which were within the law.

Protesters should be allowed to protest; but not block other peoples' passage.

I think the police were well within the law. As a law abiding citizen, I like to think that as long as they are acting within the written law, the police are in charge; not some group of people I may not agree with.

Breitbart.tv » Video Proof: UC Davis Protesters Were Warned Before Pepper Spray Incident
You don't use force against people who are not physically resisting you. You simply cuff them and drag them off to jail. Pepper spray was meant to subdue people resisting arrest, not people just sitting there doing nothing. The cops should be fired. If I was in charge they would be fired.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
You don't use force against people who are not physically resisting you. You simply cuff them and drag them off to jail. Pepper spray was meant to subdue people resisting arrest, not people just sitting there doing nothing. The cops should be fired. If I was in charge they would be fired.
How do you drag them off with their arms interlinked? Hit them with a baton? What force would you have used in this situation to effect arrest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies