Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 09:36 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBelle View Post
Ahh, so this is a case of "I know what's best for you" syndrome? The democrats sure love to dictate.
Is this an argument for the abolition of the electoral college and a move to a popular vote system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 09:47 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
Quote:
Didn't bother to click the govtrack link, eh? It clearly shows 71% in favor, 29% opposed. Another poll by Rasmussen shows 65% oppose birthright citizenship. The only fail is your post, bud.

Rasmussen Reports: 65% of Likely U.S. Voters Oppose Birthright Citizenship for Children of Illegal Aliens

Carry on in your quest for purposeful ignorance.
Considering the article will be 7 on 11/22, I wonder what the percent of like U.S. voters for this is now.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:58 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,451,233 times
I'm for closing the loophole within the 14th Amendment. Every one keep bringing up my ancestors and mentioning slavery. Yes, it was intended to make the newly freed slaves citizens of the country. The problem is they didn't make it specific enough toward us. So if Trump wants to amend that and make it specific to that history, I'm cool with it.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:03 AM

13,606 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Didn't bother to click the govtrack link, eh? It clearly shows 71% in favor, 29% opposed. Another poll by Rasmussen shows 65% oppose birthright citizenship. The only fail is your post, bud.

Rasmussen Reports: 65% of Likely U.S. Voters Oppose Birthright Citizenship for Children of Illegal Aliens

Carry on in your quest for purposeful ignorance.
I opened your govtrack link. I didn't see any poll. I saw a bill that was introduced in 2011 and failed to advance multiple times since then. But since Republicans now control all branches of government, why don't they just do it? Maybe because they realize that Congress doesn't have power to amend the constitution.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:13 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
80 Co-sponsors for the Birthright Citizen Act of 2011, and not ONE democrat supports it. Why? The country overwhelmingly is in support of ending birthright citizenship, republicans and democrats alike by a margin of 7-3. Why aren't the democrat members representing their constituents on this issue?

H.R. 140: Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011 (GovTrack.us)
This so-called "birthright citizenship" is a misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment. The 14th Amendment referred to the children of freed slaves. It did not refer to the children of foreign nationals who give birth to children on U.S. soil, and who are NOT "subject to the jurisdiction of the United State."

Old 10-31-2018, 09:15 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I opened your govtrack link. I didn't see any poll. I saw a bill that was introduced in 2011 and failed to advance multiple times since then. But since Republicans now control all branches of government, why don't they just do it? Maybe because they realize that Congress doesn't have power to amend the constitution.

You obviously don't know how many votes it takes to pass a bill through congress and there's a fair share of Republicans who are RINO's in congress so the Republican remain divided in congress. Congress has been divided for some time now and that's why bills fail to advance.

There is no need to amend the Constitution just take it to the Supreme Court for correct and intented interpretation of the wording "and" subject to the jurisdiction thereof.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:33 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,228,419 times
Democrats and the left hate white people and the rule of law, that is why they encourage mass violation of the latter to destroy the former - White Genocide through demographic warfare.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:39 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There is no need to amend the Constitution just take it to the Supreme Court for correct and intented interpretation of the wording "and" subject to the jurisdiction thereof.
That already happened with United States v. Wong Kim Ark.

"The case highlighted disagreements over the precise meaning of one phrase in the Citizenship Clause—namely, the provision that a person born in the United States who is subject to the jurisdiction thereof acquires automatic citizenship. The Supreme Court's majority concluded that this phrase referred to being required to obey U.S. law; on this basis, they interpreted the language of the Fourteenth Amendment in a way that granted U.S. citizenship to at least some children born of foreigners because they were born on American soil (a concept known as jus soli). "

Last edited by notnamed; 10-31-2018 at 09:55 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
because the democratic congress can only vote the way the democratic boss tells them to do

Old 11-04-2018, 03:08 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,438,260 times
Because the democrats in the US are in the majority.
You are quoting the minority party in america who cheats their way into power .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies