Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,955,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So who does Maher give his money to?

As others have mentioned, the items Oprah gave away were not something her show paid for. The sponsors gave them gratis. We know the organizations Oprah has founded and supports.

If Maher can sit in judgment and talk about greed and pontificate how the money should have been spent better somewhere else (even tho that is nonsensical - these were free items donated from manufacturers for marketing purposes) . . . let's have an account from Maher about his life of ascetism and how he has eschewed "greed" . . . and given all his money to the homeless.

Easy to stand in judgment when no one is gonna call him to task.

I am not purporting to know what Maher does with his money. Just saying . . . if he is so big on talking the talk and criticizing others . . .he should be willing to walk the walk and give us all an example of his altruism.
He gives to plenty of environmental and animal causes:

Best Friends Animal Society
Comic Relief
Dogs Deserve Better
Global Green
Robert F Kennedy Memorial
Save the Chimps
Somaly Mam Foundation
The Humane Society

Read more: Bill Maher's Charity Work, Events and Causes

The above reference literally took 10 seconds... more than it took to write your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 PM

10,039 posts, read 9,526,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You missed the point. People are going ape-**** crazy about material "things." Didn't you watch the video?
Of course I did. But your previous post was directed toward Oprah and Ellen, so that's why I posted what I did.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,193,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Bill quickly points out what Americans really worship.

Bill Maher's Christmas Message to Oprah Winfrey - YouTube
Wow; maybe I should be paying more attention to Bill Maher. He's got the audacity to say it like it is. I never liked the materialism of Oprah's "giveaways" & he is spot on here. I'm inspired by this piece- seriously we need more people like him....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies