Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,353,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is nothing wrong with "going crazy over the dumbest damn things". Life is enhanced by have a passion for something... anything. Life without excitement is boring.

And what you get excited about is your choice...one object is no better than another. One person might get excited about visiting the Louvre, another person prefers a strip joint. That's OK. One is not better than the other.
Seriously? The Louvre is not better than a strip joint??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 10:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,639,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I have watched and my analysis differs from yours. The clip started with the audience's orgasmic response to Oprah's giveaways, which I have always found a bit disturbing, but the clip was not about Oprah. It was about the over the top obsession with 'things', that so many Americans exhibit - particularly around the Christmas season.

As to Maher's charitable activities, a quick Google search brought up this site: Bill Maher's Charity Work, Events and Causes

Keep in mind that unlike Oprah, Maher has never presented himself as a spiritual leader or used his show to encourage others to inspect their inner selves to become better people. One would not expect him to be a paragon of charitable causes.
One would expect someone who criticizes and openly mocks the "worship of money and greed" to handle his own affairs very differently than those he is mocking.

I appreciate your link to his charitable work, wh/ (unfortunately) doens't give figures . . . and which I find interesting has nothing to do with mankind but rather with animals (not that I am knocking taking care of our furkids!) Just interesting to note.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,639,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
But do you think that "materialism" has become the "religion" of many people?
I think there has been a trend in some circles towards "conspicuous consumerism" in the last 20 years. And yes, that is absurd when at-risk children whose mommies are on welfare are buying kids $200 sneakers . . . and yes, that is absurd when folks getting vouchers for their rent lease luxury cars in the boyfriend's name . . . or the Keeping up with the Joneses down the street run up $50K credit card debt pretending they are making bigger salaries than they really are . . . but as far as "worshipping" money. . . I don't think so.

Most folks are struggling to simply maintain a middleclass lifestyle these days, wh/ is why a luxury item being given to them during an Oprah show brought tears to people's eyes.

When you are scraping around trying to keep your house from going into foreclosure while trying to find a job . . . "worshipping" money is not hardly at the forefront of your mind. Keeping your family fed is - and any unexpected gifts that come your way are welcomed, indeed.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:36 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,353,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
One would expect someone who criticizes and openly mocks the "worship of money and greed" to handle his own affairs very differently than those he is mocking.

I appreciate your link to his charitable work, wh/ (unfortunately) doens't give figures . . . and which I find interesting has nothing to do with mankind but rather with animals (not that I am knocking taking care of our furkids!) Just interesting to note.
I disagree. The people he is mocking are those who profess to celebrate the Christian Christmas - they are "followers of Christ" and as such should not be so obsessed with material things. Maher professes no such thing and is, in fact, an atheist. One would not expect him to handle his affairs in the same way as does a believer in Christ.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
Quote:
I disagree. The people he is mocking are those who profess to celebrate the Christian Christmas - they are "followers of Christ" and as such should not be so obsessed with material things. Maher professes no such thing and is, in fact, an atheist. One would not expect him to handle his affairs in the same way as does a believer in Christ.
"Mocking". Interesting word. Maybe that's my problem with Maher. He mocks people. Anyone on Main Street USA can "mock" people. It's not a particularly nice thing to do. And it certainly doesn't illustrate any original thinking or creativity.

Thank you. I've been looking for a name for his shtick. He "mocks" people. Excellent.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:13 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,894,444 times
Quote:
Seriously? The Louvre is not better than a strip joint??
I guess they both display forms of art. LOL!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:17 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,894,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think there has been a trend in some circles towards "conspicuous consumerism" in the last 20 years. And yes, that is absurd when at-risk children whose mommies are on welfare are buying kids $200 sneakers . . . and yes, that is absurd when folks getting vouchers for their rent lease luxury cars in the boyfriend's name . . . or the Keeping up with the Joneses down the street run up $50K credit card debt pretending they are making bigger salaries than they really are . . . but as far as "worshipping" money. . . I don't think so.

Most folks are struggling to simply maintain a middleclass lifestyle these days, wh/ is why a luxury item being given to them during an Oprah show brought tears to people's eyes.

When you are scraping around trying to keep your house from going into foreclosure while trying to find a job . . . "worshipping" money is not hardly at the forefront of your mind. Keeping your family fed is - and any unexpected gifts that come your way are welcomed, indeed.
Did I miss Oprah giving away gift cards for grocery stores or offering to make some mortgage payments?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:33 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,218,969 times
Quote:
There is no obsession. Instead, there is happiness over receiving something for free. Who wouldn't be happy about that? Furthermore, many non-Christians celebrate Christmas, so who's to say that the folks celebrating their free gifts were even Christians anyway?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:37 PM

78,808 posts, read 61,019,259 times
Oprah is the 1%, however....since she supports the correct party....she get's a pass.

Interesting parallels to the anti-war movement. They hated Bush but not Obama...and the entire movement died when Obama continued Bush's policies. Hmmmmmmmm.

And so now we have this whole "eat the rich" movement...but with exemptions for political orientation.
Another interesting faux movement hijacked in an election run-up....to be forgotten right after.

P.S. I love Oprah and see nothing wrong with her gift giveaways. However, the points about conspicuous consumption are right....just maybe not the targets.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:37 PM

25,894 posts, read 16,612,665 times
Bill Maher's right on the money. Oprah is one of the worst things to ever happen to this country. Her and her promoting her crap culture. People like her cheapen life and we get such a short one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies