Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:18 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
They had to keep charging him with something. Sooner or later they were going to find him guilty.

Scary stuff this kind of trial. I don't support what "Blago" did, and I think he was breaking the law. But if you bring him to trial once, and he walks, then you shouldn't get to try, try again.
Give me a break. This is how our judicial system works. The first time they tried him it ended in a hung jury. That doesn't mean he was found 'not guilty' and decided to just keep on trying him until the charges stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 04:21 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Give me a break. This is how our judicial system works. The first time they tried him it ended in a hung jury. That doesn't mean he was found 'not guilty' and decided to just keep on trying him until the charges stuck.

Must be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. His first jury didn't convict him, they found reasonable doubt, or doubt enough in the prosecutions case.

They shouldn't be able to prosecute him again. I understand this is how our legal system works, but that doesn't mean its right.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times

Coldplay-Viva la Vida - YouTube
I still say this is Blago's song. Listen closely, he could be singing it.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Must be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. His first jury didn't convict him, they found reasonable doubt, or doubt enough in the prosecutions case.

They shouldn't be able to prosecute him again. I understand this is how our legal system works, but that doesn't mean its right.
No. They had a hung jury.

Quote:
A hung jury or deadlocked jury is a jury that cannot, by the required voting threshold, agree upon a verdict after an extended period of deliberation and is unable to change its votes due to severe differences of opinion.
Hung jury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Exactly, they couldn't agree on his guilt.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Exactly, they couldn't agree on his guilt.
All but one of the jurors felt he was guilty in the first trial. All but one. This lead to a hung jury and a retrial ensued. This is how our legal system works for everyone charged with a crime, not just Blago. This isn't "scary stuff". He didn't "walk" after the first trial. And they didn't keep charging him with new crimes until they found one that stuck either. Had he been found not guilty during the first trial, they would not have been able to retry him. They did not find him not guilty.

So essentially, 23 of 24 jurors found him guilty over the course of two trials. Pretty damning stats.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
All but one of the jurors felt he was guilty in the first trial. All but one. This lead to a hung jury and a retrial ensued. This is how our legal system works for everyone charged with a crime, not just Blago. This isn't "scary stuff". He didn't "walk" after the first trial. And they didn't keep charging him with new crimes until they found one that stuck either. Had he been found not guilty during the first trial, they would not have been able to retry him. They did not find him not guilty.

So essentially, 23 of 24 jurors found him guilty over the course of two trials. Pretty damning stats.

Even one juror should be enough.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Even one juror should be enough.
To clear him of all crimes? No. It afforded him a new trial, which was fair.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,098,661 times
Well Im in Illinois and I never voted for him and Im glad he's going to do some time

I can only imagine the corrupt deals going on right now to shield the rest of the criminal Chicago mob that includes 0bummer...

I bet 0 will pardon him in exchange for silence...

Rahm, Daleys, Cullerton, Madigans, and 0bummer are all at least as criminal as Rod...

Old 12-07-2011, 06:20 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Well Im in Illinois and I never voted for him and Im glad he's going to do some time>cut<
I agree with you and I didn't vote for him either...I didn't vote in that race because Judy Baar Topinka was an even bigger flake than Blago and I couldn't stand the sight of either one of them.

IL hasn't had a good Gov in it's history..Big Jim was a slimey bottom feeder,Edgar was just a step below a used car salesman on the food chain and Quinn isn't worth two dead flies as far as his caring about the state,it's taxpayer's will or it's budget.

Illinois is truly unique in the fact that it truly does not matter if the politician is an R or a D,chances are nearly 100% that they are a crook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies