Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:03 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I am completely against the extension. Rather than go take an available job, many are sitting at home collecting a check and working the system... meanwhile many available jobs are unfilled.

Time to force them into action.

Time for people to become accountable for themselves again.
Wow, you really have no clue, do ya, make sure you go down to your local unemployment office and share your ideas with the people there, make sure our health insurance is up to date first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 01:03 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
You could not be more wrong! For the first time in a very long time there is not enough jobs to go around. So even if you forced everyone to move and didn't care if they were qualified for the jobs they took there still wouldn't be enough jobs for the entire workforce.
That is total BS...

There are numerous jobs available in America, they are called blue collar jobs..

But unemployed people have the attitude that they are not going to take just ANY job, it has to be one at roughly the same pay level as their last one and that doesn't dirty their baby soft hands....

Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 PM

354 posts, read 855,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Thats its not your money as you claimed .But hey, Im sure in your eyes your " entitled" to it.
I am entitled too it. I work in the formal economy. I could get paid under the table and never pay a cent to the goverment but I choose to work for a legit company. I pay taxes and get ALL the benefits associated with that.

Want to explain to me now I am not entitled too it?

Old 12-09-2011, 01:05 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
I really wonder how many of the people that are against the Unemployment Extension really understand what unemployment is. Unemployment is not an "Entitilement Program" because you have to pay into it and there is no guarentee you will ever get iany of it back. I have worked since I was 16 and for the first time in my life at the age of 30 I find myself unemployed through no fault of my own.

In Pa workers pay unemployment taxes out of each check. Your Employer pays taxes also on each employee. The Employer's taxes are based on a sliding scale determined by the number of their Employees end up on unemployment, the amount of money that they are paid and the length of time their former employers stay on unemployment. Basically your Employer pays what your unemployment taxes do not cover.

Who cares if Employers that layoff people have to pay a little more in unemployment taxes? My company has been slowly eliminating positions. I was in the first batch and there were 5 of us that were laid off. That company had 300 employees and less then a dozen of the jobs required a college education. 3 of the employees (Including Myself) that were laid off had the jobs that required college degrees. The other 2 were long term employees. One woman was there for 30 years. Another woman was there for 40 years. She basically started there when she was 20 now she is 60 and they are throwing her out. Who is going to hire her at 60? They ended up having to hire someone to pick up some of her job duties a few months later and it turned out to be the girl that used to babysit the President of the company's kids.

To keep 6 million WORKERS and their families out of financial ruin it will cost 48 Billion to extend the unemployment extension one more year. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have costs approximetly 1.29 Trillion so far. The Federal Government made at least 72 Billion dollars worth of improper payments for goods and services in 2008 alone. The governemnt also spends 25 Billion dollars every years just maintaining vacant properties that they own.
Waaaa fricken waaaa.

In 2004 I was laid off after over 11 year at my company as head of Field engineering, and then head of R&D. Needed to downsize.... I was out of full time employment for 18 months, the first 1, I accepted unemployment. Then I started working part time jobs... There were some weeks, I worked 4 differing part time jobs, to make ends meet. Later 40's, single dad, 2 children who depended on me, mortgage, car payment, kids needed daily meds and doctor visits every several months..

I made it. I did what I had to do to earn money and keep going. No government dole for my family.

If you WANT something, MAKE it happen, don't wait on someone, or something else. I am back to work and have my 5 year award on my desk. I started at the bottom, making about 1/3 what I used to make. Big deal. I started at the bottom once, I can do it again, and again.

Government spends money to maintain vacant properties , hey, form a company and BID on maintaining those properties for the government.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
Quote:
I am entitled too it. I work in the formal economy. I could get paid under the table and never pay a cent to the goverment but I choose to work for a legit company. I pay taxes and get ALL the benefits associated with that.

Want to explain to me now I am not entitled too it?

And therin lies the problem. Ya know computers can be used to look for jobs too.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:07 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
There's all kinds of shovel ready jobs in Washington, they're taken but they're shovellin

1,707 posts, read 6,212,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Wow, you really have no clue, do ya, make sure you go down to your local unemployment office and share your ideas with the people there, make sure our health insurance is up to date first.
Unfortunately you have fallen for the "victim" mentality that many in this country seem to have. I have far more experience in my immediate family of business cutbacks, layoffs, and people having to actually get off of their butts and go find a new occupation than many here.

There is plenty of opportunity in this country.

354 posts, read 855,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
That is total BS...

There are numerous jobs available in America, they are called blue collar jobs..

But unemployed people have the attitude that they are not going to take just ANY job, it has to be one at roughly the same pay level as their last one and that doesn't dirty their baby soft hands....
If you were in charge of hiring would you hire a 30 year old with a Masters Degree and 8 years experiance working in his chosen field for $55,000 a year when there are millions of unemployed blue collar workers who have experiance working blue collar jobs out there?

If you are you are a fool because the educated employee is going to leave as soon as they get something better.

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times
Burger flippin' and retail jobs can not sustain an economy.
That is where the bulk of jobs are.

People in this country want to work, but if they built an environment based on a bank executives job, a bank tellers job, a teacher, an OTR driver...those jobs are few and far between and they can not sustain their households on flippin' burgers.

It is not rocket science.

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Hmm, let me see if I can translate this properly.

Go to unemployment office, with information on available jobs, and expect to get a. beaten down by people who would rather get free money and don't want to work, or b. get run over by people looking to grab that information and go get jobs?

I vote a.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies