Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 02:00 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
You can end up on unemployment for a time and still be succesfull.

99 weeks is enough but 26 weeks isnt.
Dude, you are wasting your time communicating with these people? Most of them hide behind their keyboards and play armchair quarterback but in reality, they lack any real world judgment and knowledge. If Rush didn't tell them it's ok, then they will fight tooth and nail against it. The problem here lies with how people complain about things like UE and free lunch programs for hungry kids but never ever complain about the billions we spend on the military. Do we really need to spend 600 billion a year on our military budget? We have enough fire power to kill everyone on the planet twice.

This recession is very different from past recessions. Even big time corporations have their hands out. These corporations only care about the bottom line. They would soon destroy a town of 5,000 people, their families and livelihood by outsourcing jobs to India and China just to save a few bucks. But they want your loyalty to keep buying their crappy products. Your story is happening all over the country. People work and give their all just to find themselves out on the street after years of service. I learned a long time ago that a job does not define me. These companies don’t care about you. What happened to Americans believing in its people?

I commend you for your attitude and I hope everything works out for you. I have a master's degree in communications, so I definitely understand what you are saying. Why would someone hire me to work at a fast food joint? When any half educated person knows that I will leave as soon as another opportunity presents itself. From a business standpoint, I would not hire anyone who is well educated to work in my fast food place. It's a waste of time and resources. I know they aren’t in it for the long haul, so now I have to start the process (advertising, interviewing, hiring, training, etc.) all over the again. But these people have business acumen? Hmmmm. Keep your head up and keep grinding. Something will happen for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 02:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
People can be against UI because increasing the duration of unemployment insurance increases the rate of jobs which sit vacant. If you look at the current beveridge curve for the US, you see how as weeks of extensions are added, the job vacancy rate rises, despite high unemployment. Should we have unemployment insurance? Absolutely. Should we have 99 weeks? Absolutely not. Three months is an adequate number. Increasing UI does nothing but motivate people to not work, as the numbers clearly show.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:03 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Don't know if you've connected the "dots" to the correlation of extended UE benefits and joblessness.

What is it - 99 weeks now? That is ABSURD and creates a permanent UE class, PAID to do nothing.

Why not have UE benefits for life?

Yeah, you don't get to dictate who posts in what thread.
Yeah, most hard working, well educated people would rather collect a paltry UE check instead of working. That's the reason they go to school for 6 years and have impeccable resume's so when the time comes to get UE, they are in hog's heaven. You should take this on tour.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
That is total BS...

There are numerous jobs available in America, they are called blue collar jobs..

But unemployed people have the attitude that they are not going to take just ANY job, it has to be one at roughly the same pay level as their last one and that doesn't dirty their baby soft hands....
Where are all these blue collar jobs?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Where are all these blue collar jobs?
Illegals apparently are having no problem finding the jobs and remittances to Mexico were WAY up in 2011, obviously the immigrants are doing far better than ever with billions of dollars left over after expenses to send out of this country.

http://remittancesgateway.org/index....104-in-october

Remittance flows entering Mexico totaled $1,911.5 billion dollars in October, 2011, or 10.4% more than the same period of last year, informed the Bank of Mexico, (Banxico).

Immigrants have so much money left over after paying their hospital and doctor bills, groceries, rent and over living expenses, they can send out $1,911.5 billion in just one month. They have more than 10% more money than last year.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:11 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
How Can Anyone Be Against The Unemployment Extension?

Because 99 weeks is more then enough.

If people can't find any type of employment in America after 99 weeks, TS.
OK, if 99 weeks is more than enough time to find work, Obama must have us in a pretty good economy right?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM

354 posts, read 855,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Dude, you are wasting your time communicating with these people? Most of them hide behind their keyboards and play armchair quarterback but in reality, they lack any real world judgment and knowledge. If Rush didn't tell them it's ok, then they will fight tooth and nail against it. The problem here lies with how people complain about things like UE and free lunch programs for hungry kids but never ever complain about the billions we spend on the military. Do we really need to spend 600 billion a year on our military budget? We have enough fire power to kill everyone on the planet twice.

This recession is very different from past recessions. Even big time corporations have their hands out. These corporations only care about the bottom line. They would soon destroy a town of 5,000 people, their families and livelihood by outsourcing jobs to India and China just to save a few bucks. But they want your loyalty to keep buying their crappy products. Your story is happening all over the country. People work and give their all just to find themselves out on the street after years of service. I learned a long time ago that a job does not define me. These companies don’t care about you. What happened to Americans believing in its people?

I commend you for your attitude and I hope everything works out for you. I have a master's degree in communications, so I definitely understand what you are saying. Why would someone hire me to work at a fast food joint? When any half educated person knows that I will leave as soon as another opportunity presents itself. From a business standpoint, I would not hire anyone who is well educated to work in my fast food place. It's a waste of time and resources. I know they aren’t in it for the long haul, so now I have to start the process (advertising, interviewing, hiring, training, etc.) all over the again. But these people have business acumen? Hmmmm. Keep your head up and keep grinding. Something will happen for you.
Thanks! I agree with everything you said. I used to work for a large defense Contractor when I first got out of School and it was crazy how little work we all did and how much the government was waisting on us.

As far as the corperations go a lot of people think that the companies look after their own best interest but in reality that is not true. Individuals in the companies look after their own interest and usually the companys make devastating short term decisions because of that. Some Manager might look good because he outsourced a USA factory to India and saved all this money but usually it turns out that the India Factory is costing them more then their American factory (Quality, Transportation, Inflation, Etc.) in a few years. By then the Manager that got his nice raise is off to some other company.

The guy that choose to eliminate our jobs went after the most expensive employees not because it was the best decision for the company but because it made him look good because he was saving the company more money then they thought he would. In a couiple of years it will come back to haunt them but by then he will be retired.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
This is not true. UE benefits are unbelievably easy to obtain. Our neighbor got terminated from a long-time job because he was thrown in jail for assault and couldn't perform his job. He spent some months in jail and the charges were later dropped. He has been on 99 weeks of unemployment and is manipulating the system beautifully. How do I know? Because he came to us for a part-time job in August because his benefits were going to run out in December. We offered him full time and would have made a place for him because he has a minor child, but he didn't want to mess up his benefits or the under the table job he had.

When he didn't report our part-time job, his UE benefits were terminated. He then applied for benefits again because, after all, we weren't working him full time, so we should pay the difference. We were shocked when we received the notice of his claim.

We tried to hire a skilled guy for our jobs two hours south of us that would have provided for his family--a wife and two children--but he only wanted to work under the table so he didn't mess up his UE.

Sanrene is right. UE is necessary, obviously, but we are creating a monster. It is surprising to us, as an small employer, that people who really need a job don't want to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
UE benefits do not create a permanent Unemployed Class because Unemployment Benefits are Temporary. You have to make a certain amount every year and loose your job through no fault of your own to recieve them.

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Yeah, most hard working, well educated people would rather collect a paltry UE check instead of working. That's the reason they go to school for 6 years and have impeccable resume's so when the time comes to get UE, they are in hog's heaven. You should take this on tour.
Most WOULD rather collect that UE check instead of taking what they consider to be "slave wages" and "not equal to their worth".

Most HARD WORKING people would rather take anything that pays a wage than sit on their rears living off of someone's else's dime.

354 posts, read 855,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Illegals apparently are having no problem finding the jobs and remittances to Mexico were WAY up in 2011, obviously the immigrants are doing far better than ever with billions of dollars left over after expenses to send out of this country.

Mexico: Remittances grow 10.4% in October

Remittance flows entering Mexico totaled $1,911.5 billion dollars in October, 2011, or 10.4% more than the same period of last year, informed the Bank of Mexico, (Banxico).

Immigrants have so much money left over after paying their hospital and doctor bills, groceries, rent and over living expenses, they can send out $1,911.5 billion in just one month. They have more than 10% more money than last year.

Of Course the Illegals are doing well in this Economy! You can pay them under the table. Why wouldn't they do well in an economy where everyone is looking to cut costs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies