Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet there are millions of people who aren't even legally here who have NO trouble at all finding a job. The problem is too many Americans think they're too good to work apparently. People cross the border and are working -- in fact remittances to Mexico were WAY up in 2011, the immigrants, legal and illegal are doing great in this economy.
Are you kidding me????
These illegals make $4-5/hour, with no cost to the "employer". These types of employers are just as guilty as the gangster bankers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 PM

354 posts, read 855,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What are these jobs? Are they $7 an hour fast food jobs? You can't feed a family on that.
And how many of them will be taken up by people that are already employed, or cancelled before they are filled. And again how many people live in greater Boston?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Get Hired Search 60,608 jobs in Greater Boston

Boston-area jobs and career advice - Boston.com
How many are legitimate jobs and not recruiters collecting paper? What are the ages of the postings? You are really stretching it.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:59 PM

354 posts, read 855,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No, and like I said, I have no doubts that I could find a minimum wage paying job today if I wanted. Most places that pay minimum wage really don't expect their employees to stay forever.

In fact I'm pretty sure I could find a fast food job today and be promoted to some kind of manager within a couple months.
But most employers, even minimum wage employers would want you to work 26 weeks right? According to you it takes less then 26 weeks to get a job if only the unemployed were motivated to find work. So why would you hire someone for a couple of months when so many are unemployed that would last longer?

Old 12-09-2011, 03:01 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Thats when one finds another job. Most likely in a supervisor position.

Hey its easy to say " I cant" doing something isnt easy , its life.
Lets just hope you don't have a serious health issue where you can't go back to work...

And there are quite a few...

Difference is it's called Social Security Disability...

Old 12-09-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Where are all these blue collar jobs?
9 Blue Collar Jobs That Are Luring People Away From College

Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Are you kidding me????
These illegals make $4-5/hour, with no cost to the "employer". These types of employers are just as guilty as the gangster bankers.
Maybe if the liberals and the government would allow employers to check a persons immigration status......

Why is it the Democrats want to do away with E-verify?

Old 12-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Maybe if the liberals and the government would allow employers to check a persons immigration status......

Why is it the Democrats want to do away with E-verify?

Probably the same reason NEITHER side is doing one thing about this problem.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:31 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I really wonder how many of the people that are against the Unemployment Extension really understand what unemployment is. Unemployment is not an "Entitilement Program" because you have to pay into it and there is no guarentee you will ever get iany of it back. I have worked since I was 16 and for the first time in my life at the age of 30 I find myself unemployed through no fault of my own.

In Pa workers pay unemployment taxes out of each check. Your Employer pays taxes also on each employee. The Employer's taxes are based on a sliding scale determined by the number of their Employees end up on unemployment, the amount of money that they are paid and the length of time their former employers stay on unemployment. Basically your Employer pays what your unemployment taxes do not cover.

Who cares if Employers that layoff people have to pay a little more in unemployment taxes? My company has been slowly eliminating positions. I was in the first batch and there were 5 of us that were laid off. That company had 300 employees and less then a dozen of the jobs required a college education. 3 of the employees (Including Myself) that were laid off had the jobs that required college degrees. The other 2 were long term employees. One woman was there for 30 years. Another woman was there for 40 years. She basically started there when she was 20 now she is 60 and they are throwing her out. Who is going to hire her at 60? They ended up having to hire someone to pick up some of her job duties a few months later and it turned out to be the girl that used to babysit the President of the company's kids.

To keep 6 million WORKERS and their families out of financial ruin it will cost 48 Billion to extend the unemployment extension one more year. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have costs approximetly 1.29 Trillion so far. The Federal Government made at least 72 Billion dollars worth of improper payments for goods and services in 2008 alone. The governemnt also spends 25 Billion dollars every years just maintaining vacant properties that they own.
The answer is simple. Because endless unemployment benefits prolong unemployment.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The answer is simple. Because endless unemployment benefits prolong unemployment.
No, lack of jobs prolongs unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies