Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 06:30 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
There are numerous reasons why someone can go back to work
Learn a new skillset
No, I am going to learn a new job skill, one that doesn't require me to be amubulatory.
Then become a white collar pencil pusher.

It's real easy to complain, and make excuses. It's another to take charge and do something. I work in IT, because I trained myself. I spent 10 years in the U.S. Navy, starting out is an Engineman on a Diesel electric submarine, converting to a machinest mate, trained in diesel engines, HPAC air compressors, R12 refrigeration, hydraulics, pnuematics, and other mechanical skills. Then I was permanently injured.

Based on YOUR post, I should sit around and complain about life being unfair and I can't do what I was trained in? If I was still able to walk and stand, I would probably still be tearing down large engines and rebuilding them, I enjoyed working on them.

If you can't work at what you know, learn something new.
Oh, isn't it easy when YOU don't have to do it.
A friend went to school for two years to be an IT...he's 59...his chances of getting a job? 0

Some people have gone to school for a certain job...then it was outsourced...how long should people go to school; while they need their bills paid and their kids fed????

Only terribly uninformed and/or nasty people believe that making Americans suffer as mucgh as possible will make this country strong...or the people that want this to be a Third World country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 06:40 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Oh, isn't it easy when YOU don't have to do it.
A friend went to school for two years to be an IT...he's 59...his chances of getting a job? 0

Some people have gone to school for a certain job...then it was outsourced...how long should people go to school; while they need their bills paid and their kids fed????

Only terribly uninformed and/or nasty people believe that making Americans suffer as mucgh as possible will make this country strong...or the people that want this to be a Third World country.
Actually, if you cared enough to read MY post you will see that I did do that. And no it WASN'T easy.

Try comprehending the message you are replying to. You will see I am INFORMED, I was that person, I learned a new skillset, I HAVE had to get a new job, I HAVE had to start at the bottom again, and it has nothing to do with making people suffer, it has everything to do with standing up on your own 2 feet.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:40 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
When the funds you contributed run out, then it becomes an entitlement program as there aare no finds other than public funds to continue it.

Mind you I'm not against the extension as I know there are many in need, but it is an entitlement for most.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
How Can Anyone Be Against The Unemployment Extension?

It's easy. The extension actually increases unemployment.

And wasted war spending is totally unrelated. We should end ALL wars.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I think the more accurate statement is, "There aren't any jobs you feel aren't beneath you to work". There are plenty of jobs, show me a single city that has a local paper with the help wanted ads totally blank.

Now we are getting somewhere.. This translates, why should I work, if I am going to get paid more for not working? You also realize that while you may start out with a lousy paycheck, it's a start and MOST companies have a path of advancement that will allow you to earn bigger and better paychecks. """

NO, there aren't jobs...and it's very hard to devote 60 hours to schooling AND work....Oh, I'm sure YOU being so special could do it but YOU aren't 59 and some other people ARE!

""It's also been reported in every paper across the country that there are jobs that require no prior training. You may actually have to WORK, but you earn your own paycheck instead of expecting someone ELSE to work and pay taxes so you can sit around drawing a check that pays more than actually getting a job."""

NO, the unemployed HAVE paid taxes and are now using THOSE TAXES to support them when through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN they lost their jobs.

"""Well at 47, I started a new job, at the bottom, , and have worked my way up. ""

47 isn't 59...I hope your new job doesn't involve numbers.

"""If my neighbors lose their homes because they can no longer collect unemployment, then it's their loss."""

And yours, foreclosed homes in your nieghborhood lower YOUR house's value...sorry, that's looking ahead at long term consequences......hard for you...

""" I was able to keep my home, car, feed and clothe my kids, and everything else working multiple part time crap jobs, until I was hired at a decent full time job, and even then, in the beginning, I had to work some part time jobs here and there to survive, since I started at the bottom, and then worked my way up."""

Do you really think you're the ONLY person to ever do that....I hope not, that would be almost a mental disease.

"""It's easy to complain,""

and you're doing it.....if you lump ALL those who LOST their jobs into one group of lazy people...you wouldn't do that to millions of Americans, would you??

""... it take intestinal fortitude to get up and do what needs to be done. I know, I did it personally. """

And so did millions of others...YOU are NOT special.

""""Oh and yes, I have a permanent disabling injury that prevents me from standing.walking any time or distance, and take 60mg of morphine a day to deal with the pain. In fact that's why I am not asleep right now, even WITH the pain meds, I hurt enough that I cannot sleep at the moment. sooner or later, the extra vicodin will kick in, and I will be able to get a few hours of sleep, and get up to go to work.
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Glad you're not complaining!

Bolding above mine.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:00 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Republicans should be solidly behind an extension as it is BO's policies that are causing such high unemployment.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:35 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Historically speaking, the scale of the extensions during the current downturn is very large compared with the extensions enacted in the past. During most of the post-WWII recessions, Congress has implemented federal emergency programs, but these programs typically provided benefits for a total of around 60 weeks. Given past experience, the duration of UI eligibility in the most recent downturn (that is, a total of 99 weeks) is quite generous.

The key finding is that there is a large spike in the exit rate from unemployment at the time UI benefits expire. Using a statistical technique called a regression analysis, Moffitt translates this large spike as indicating that, on average, a one-week extension of benefits leads to an increase in the duration of unemployment of 0.15 week. Using the same administrative data set, studies by Bruce Meyer and Lawrence Katz and Meyer extend Moffitt’s work and find a similar spike in the exit rate at the time benefits are exhausted.

There is no doubt that the recession was the cause of the longer duration of unemployment. However, the literature suggests that at least part of the increase in the duration was actually caused by the extensions of UI benefits.
http://www.philadelphiafed.org/resea...-insurance.pdf

Old 12-10-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Even if your source WAS unbiased it still dos NOT prove that ALL who lost their jobs are lazy and don't want to work....that assumption would be stupid.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:46 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Glad you're not complaining!

Bolding above mine.
WHAAAAAAAAAA Glad you ARE complaining, it shows everyone how you think.

So there aren't any jobs? I say you are wrong. Show me a single city ion the U.S. where the help wanted section is totally blank. THEN I will agree that in that 1 city, there are no jobs.

No 47 isn't 59, 47 and handicapped presents it's own unique issues, issues I didn't let get in the way of my doing what needed to be done. BTW, my math is very good, and while there is a difference of 12 years, there are in fact other extenuating circumstances that make a difference.

I am not complaining, I was illustrating that by NOT complaining and taking charge, I found a way do deal with the situation.

It's easy to make excuses, and I see you are making a lot of them. I haven't made one, and I haven't complained once. If you think that my statement that there are jobs and if I can do it so can your friend is complaining, then I can suggest several very good English tutors to assist you with your comprehension skills.

The bottom line, there are MANY jobs available. They may not be what you WANT, but they are there. Like I said, pick up your local paper and look in the help wanted. Have a Happy Chanukkah!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
UE numbers are down..plenty of jobs created last month.
We're on the road to recovery and don't need extended benefits anymore because there's jobs for everyone. Just look at that 8%+ number..that means 92% ARE working so rejoice..the crisis is over.
We should be at 5% or so by June (for the summer re-election campaign)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies