Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 10:27 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
People should be able to do anything they want in their cars so long as they take responsibility for the damage resulting from the inevitable accidents.
You realize that people are getting KILLED because of other people on their cellphones, right? How does one take responsibility for taking someone's life?

How is killing someone "inevitable" if cellphones were used in cars, causing distractions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes, and thats what insurance is for. But you run the risk of being crippled or hurt for life just by walking out the door. Or in an accident with a driver changing the radio station, or countless other ways to die.

The point is, should we protect everyone, from everything?

Auto accidents and fatal incidents are at historic lows. All this while texting is increasing. Yes, texting does increase the chances of one having an accident. But so does every other thing you do in your car. We can't outlaw them all, and this one is no more risky then many other things we do daily.

If I drive and talk on my hands free device on the interstate, with no one around me, and I'm doing the speed limit, why should a police officer be able to give me a ticket for doing that? Have I hurt anyone? Have I caused any damage?

That is EXACTLY what the NTSB is suggesting, that you can't even use a hands free device. It is overkill, for a problem that isn't a major problem.

You run more risk slipping in the tub and breaking your neck then being involved in a wreck with someone who is texting, talking, or anything else in the car. Should we outlaw water baths?

This is a free country. And if I want to do something slightly risky, but I have weighed the time and options for when to do it, and I don't harm anyone, then its none of anyone elses business.
It's pretty much a necessity to take a shower in my bathtub. I've also pretty much got taking a shower down very well, I tend to know how to keep my balance in a tub. Even then, there are many products on the market that make people's showers and tubs safe. So, even in the bathtub, people are conscious of safety. Are you mad about that?

But anyway, a bathtub is not comparable to a road in which people are driving vehicles at speeds and then throwing in the factor of distractions.

The damage of being a victim to a distracted damage is much more dangerous than the bathtub that I have at home and the possibility of slipping in it.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Actually guys it's probably a lot more distracting to talk to someone in your car than to talk to someone on a hands free device. We have a habit of looking at each other when we talk. Watch next time you are in a car...the diver will constantly look at the passenger and/or over their shoulder or into the mirror to catch reactions and make eye contact.

I would NEVER allow a cell jamming device in my car. Using the phone in the car, for emergency and semi emergency reasons, was the reason I got my first cell phone back in the day. And now it's also my GPS. And at the very least I'd want my passengers to be able to use theirs if they had to. Anyone thinking it's a good idea is a fool. Yup.

I know it's a silly thought and way out in left field but I always imagine a scenario where a driver witnesses something (hit and run, kidnapping, whatever) and follows the perp and thinks "damn, IF ONLY I could call the cops right now and let them know what's going on!".
I don't do that. I make it a habit to keep from looking at the person in the car if we are talking. I think a lot of people have developed the talking culture in a car. In fact, it is quite strange to be talking to someone in a car and have that feeling of, "Oh, I've got to make sure I keep my eye on the road even though it is awkward not looking at this person who is talking to me." In fact, there are times when you can tell that the person in the car with you is quieting-down in order to let you focus on driving.

Also, a quick glance in the rear view mirror isn't going to hurt anything (for most people), we look in our rear view mirror all the time.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
I know 20 yrs ago we didnt see so many headons . Now it seams like once a week there is an accident caused by someone crossing the centerline. 4th july weekend we had 3, all caused by someone crossing the centerline.
Exactly.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What difference does it make how the driver was distracted or not giving full attention to their driving?

What part of Reckless Driving don't you understand?

What happens today if you run a red light and kill someone if you are NOT talking on your cell phone?
It's called preventative measures. Why are people so against prevention? LOL

Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I know a guy who says he drives great drunk, and he's never had an accident in 25 years of doing it, he has a high tolerance to alcohol so he probably does drive fine on the same amount of alcohol that would make others be very dangerous, I guess that's okay too, we can punish him after he hurts someone. BTW, this same guy never talks on the phone while driving, he thinks it's too dangerous.
And if he kills someone while drunk driving or ANYthing that caused his driving to be impaired, throw him in jail for life.

If he has driven drunk for 25 years and never caused an accident, where is the harm? It's just that simple emotional "OMG someone ~could~ get hurt".

Let's punish people FOR their crimes, not because of what it COULD lead to.

This is not a one sized fits all situation.
Driving while _________ is VERY dangerous and there should be plenty of education about it. Regardless of driving while drunk, high, talking on cell phone surfing on phone, texting, watching a movie, applying make up, etc.. is ALL very dangerous. How can we all jump on this bandwagon, yet, we don't see anything to stop women from applying make up on in the car. You know why? Because it'll be discriminatory.

And if some chick IS putting on her makeup while driving.. and she's doing fine, then again.. there's no big deal.

But then again, I'm crazy and I am for liberty and freedom. So what do I know

Old 12-17-2011, 11:21 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
And if he kills someone while drunk driving or ANYthing that caused his driving to be impaired, throw him in jail for life.

If he has driven drunk for 25 years and never caused an accident, where is the harm? It's just that simple emotional "OMG someone ~could~ get hurt".

Let's punish people FOR their crimes, not because of what it COULD lead to.

This is not a one sized fits all situation.
Driving while _________ is VERY dangerous and there should be plenty of education about it. Regardless of driving while drunk, high, talking on cell phone surfing on phone, texting, watching a movie, applying make up, etc.. is ALL very dangerous. How can we all jump on this bandwagon, yet, we don't see anything to stop women from applying make up on in the car. You know why? Because it'll be discriminatory.

And if some chick IS putting on her makeup while driving.. and she's doing fine, then again.. there's no big deal.

But then again, I'm crazy and I am for liberty and freedom. So what do I know
The problem is there is a good chance that one day his luck will run out, and he will hurt or kill someone, and that can't be taken back, putting him in jail would be little comfort to the people who lost their loved one, or the person severely injured.

This person is actually a good example that the having laws does work, he only drives drunk in the city of Detroit, he does this because he knows the cops there are stretched way too thin, and are far too busy to concentrate on impaired drivers. If he knows he will be going somewhere outside the city limits he will find a designated driver, the police outside the city are plentiful and will pull people over at any hint of impairment, so he avoids his very stupid behavior for fear of punishment.

No one likes having laws, and feeling freedoms be taken away, but sometimes we have to be able to protect people from the stupid behavior of others, too many people think they could never cause a problem because they are "good drunk or distracted drivers, and nothing will happen to me." The consequences are too great to wait for them to happen, and then punish.

I agree there should be plenty of education, my biggest beef right now is the view that talking on the phone while driving is perfectly okay, it's not, and people need to stop making constant calls, and set a good example for their children by not doing it. I actually think the occasional quick phone call such as "I'll be home at 7:00," or "please pick up some milk" while driving is not likely to cause any harm, but conducting a business meeting, or sorting out your relationship while driving is extremely dangerous, and needs to stop. Most people would be ashamed to drink and drive even if it were legal because socially it's considered a huge no no, phones while driving are causing serious accidents too, we need to educate people that phones can cause driver impairment that can end up killing someone. If people would stop the stupid behavior we wouldn't need laws.

No one wants to see women putting on make up either, I have heard of arrests for that under reckless driving, no one is saying discrimination. Most women don't do that except for some chapstick, or lip gloss, it's only a stupid few that do their actual make up in the car. The few that do it are so ridiculous everyone talks about it like all women regularly do their make up in the car.

Last edited by detshen; 12-17-2011 at 11:36 PM..

Old 12-17-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The problem is there is a good chance that one day his luck will run out, and he will hurt or kill someone, and that can't be taken back, putting him in jail would be little comfort to the people who lost their loved one, or the person severely injured.

This person is actually a good example that the having laws does work, he only drives drunk in the city of Detroit, he does this because he knows the cops there are stretched way too thin, and are far too busy to concentrate on impaired drivers. If he knows he will be going somewhere outside the city limits he will find a designated driver, the police outside the city are plentiful and will pull people over at any hint of impairment, so he avoids his very stupid behavior for fear of punishment.

No one likes having laws, and feeling freedoms be taken away, but sometimes we have to be able to protect people from the stupid behavior of others, too many people think they could never cause a problem because they are "good drunk or distracted drivers, and nothing will happen to me." The consequences are too great to wait for them to happen, and then punish.

I agree there should be plenty of education, my biggest beef right now is the view that talking on the phone while driving is perfectly okay, it's not, and people need to stop making constant calls, and set a good example for their children by not doing it. I actually think the occasional quick phone call such as "I'll be home at 7:00," or "please pick up some milk" while driving is not likely to cause any harm, but conducting a business meeting, or sorting out your relationship while driving is extremely dangerous, and needs to stop. Most people would be ashamed to drink and drive even if it were legal because socially it's considered a huge no no, phones while driving are causing serious accidents too, we need to educate people that phones can cause driver impairment that can end up killing someone. If people would stop the stupid behavior we wouldn't need laws.

No one wants to see women putting on make up either, I have heard of arrests for that under reckless driving, no one is saying discrimination.
I understand all of that, really I do. I would not do this behind the wheel and I would always tell people to not do this, AS WELL as other things.

But what about people who get into accidents because they have kids in the car and the kids are acting up, thus, distracting the driver? Do we just.. not allow kids in cars anymore?

Also, going back to what you originally said in this reply: "The problem is there is a good chance that one day his luck will run out, and he will hurt or kill someone, and that can't be taken back, putting him in jail would be little comfort to the people who lost their loved one, or the person severely injured."

Even when you ban cell phones, there won't be police at EVERY car at all times watching. This means that even though it's illegal to be on your phone, it still doesn't mean that people WON'T do it. So regardless of it being illegal before or after the accident, the fact is that these accidents will still happen. This way, people can be truly punished for doing these things. If the punishments were so severe, people will be afraid to do this. It may be more effective than a law about "being caught". This will just promote people being sneaky.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Even when you ban cell phones, there won't be police at EVERY car at all times watching. This means that even though it's illegal to be on your phone, it still doesn't mean that people WON'T do it. So regardless of it being illegal before or after the accident, the fact is that these accidents will still happen. This way, people can be truly punished for doing these things. If the punishments were so severe, people will be afraid to do this. It may be more effective than a law about "being caught". This will just promote people being sneaky.

Yes!!

People are not going to give up hands free, they just aren't. And you can't tell if someone is one a hands free phone call, taking to themselves, or singing along to the radio. Impossible rules are the result of stupidity.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes!!

People are not going to give up hands free, they just aren't. And you can't tell if someone is one a hands free phone call, taking to themselves, or singing along to the radio. Impossible rules are the result of stupidity.
And they shouldn't. But they need to stay focused at the wheel. If they can do it, what's the big deal? You can have no music on, no phone in hand, no kids in the car, you blink your eyes and you are in an accident. These things just HAPPEN. No matter how focused you are, sometimes there's JUST not enough reaction time to these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies