Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 03:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Do you speed? Come to a complete stop at every stop sign? Take your eyes off the road for anything?

You don't follow all of the rules of the road, I'd guarantee it.
I'm not perfect, no one is, but I do everything in my power to be a safe driver for the sake of myself, and others on the road, driving is a huge responsibility, and should be viewed as such. Choosing to drive in a distracted state is selfish, and can end with destroying someone's life, no phone call is worth that. When I am driving that is where my focus is, phone calls, texts, putting on makeup, reading, etc. can all wait until I am stopped. Watching the cars around me so I know what they are up to is called safe driving, staring only at the road, and ignoring the actions of the cars around you is a good way to get into an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 04:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
I'm ok with this if they still allow hands free. And it needs to apply across the board to everyone driving. And it should apply to laptops also. Yep, cops drive distracted, but then nail the citizens for it? Sorry that BS.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:22 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
NTSB recommends full ban on use of cell phones while driving - CNN.com

The NTSB announced today that states should ban all cell phone use, both hands free and hand held. Of course, there is no difference between the two, which is something that I usually bring up but people seem to ignore:

Study Shows Hands-Free Phones No Safer than Hand-Held Phones When Driving | EHS Today

Some studies have shown that talking on a cell phone is no more distracting than talking to a passenger, but other studies show that talking on the cell phone is slightly more distracting. Either way, it's not more distracting than eating, drinking, refereeing the kids in the back seat or doing anything else that people do. It's just more noticeable. There is also a psychological component where people see a bad driver, and the driver is on a cell phone (just like everyone else), they automatically think she is a bad driver because she is on a cell phone and forget that bad drivers existed before cell phones. Despite cell phone use and driving, highway fatalities are at an all time low.

The NTSB conducted this study after a person apparently "caused" a pile-up because of texting and driving (not even the issue here). Apparently, the cell phone is now also responsible if a bus behind you has faulty breaks and hits you from behind. Whose fault? The cellphone, naturally. So now the government is doing what it does best and will likely pull state funding if they don't ban all hands free and hand held cell phone use while driving, even though it's not more distracting than most other things. What ever happened to careless driving tickets for the people who aren't paying attention? I guess there is just not as much money in that.
I agree. Totally.

While it makes things a little more inconvenient, most people simply aren't smart enough to operate a vehicle and a cell phone at the same time. They're just not. I see it every time I drive.

My life, and the lives of my family, are FAR more important than their phone conversation.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm holier than thou because my high school best friend was killed in a car accident where someone texting while driving veered into her lane. This happened after my dad was involved in a serious accident when stopped to turn into his neighborhood (behind another car turning) when someone texting hit him so hard that he hit the car in front of him and completely totaled the car. Living in Boston (where driving my 8 mile commute can take over an hour), I've seen completely horrifying driving by those who are talking on their phones, in several cases leading to rear endings.

And I do follow the rules of the road, much to the chagrin of my fellow M*******s. I won't even cruise through yellow lights if I have space to stop (unlike most people who speed up) - leading to quite a few horn honkings.

So yeah - sorry, zero tolerance policy for me.
My sincerest sympathies to your friend.

But, again, explain how any new law would stop this from happening.

I have stated there are laws on the books already which COVER this type of situation.

Most states have Reckless Driving laws on the books. If the driver involved here was driving in a reckless manner he/she can be charged.

If a driver chooses to break the Reckless Driving laws, what makes you think they are going to obey the new law?

The same with Not Giving Proper attention laws. Is using your cell phone while driving NOT giving proper attention to your driving?

I am all for increasing the fines/penalties but, new laws are a waste of time and politician enact them mostly for political purposes.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
we need a public service campaign that includes stickers on every government building that say

"WARNING over use/trust of this product can lead to your imprisonment."
We have billboard signs in my area.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:21 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
My sincerest sympathies to your friend.

But, again, explain how any new law would stop this from happening.

I have stated there are laws on the books already which COVER this type of situation.

Most states have Reckless Driving laws on the books. If the driver involved here was driving in a reckless manner he/she can be charged.

If a driver chooses to break the Reckless Driving laws, what makes you think they are going to obey the new law?

The same with Not Giving Proper attention laws. Is using your cell phone while driving NOT giving proper attention to your driving?

I am all for increasing the fines/penalties but, new laws are a waste of time and politician enact them mostly for political purposes.
Because it paves the way for low voltage jammers in cars. THAT is what I really hope happens. Every manufacturer forced to install a cell phone signal jammer that only works inside of the vehicle. Something integrated into the ignition so it can't be bypassed.

I've seen enough people die, and it's time to put a stop to it.

In fact, we should put a stop to all of it. Eating in cars, putting on make-up, etc. Specific activities need to be banned, and punishable by stiff fines or jail time.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:40 PM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Because it paves the way for low voltage jammers in cars. THAT is what I really hope happens. Every manufacturer forced to install a cell phone signal jammer that only works inside of the vehicle. Something integrated into the ignition so it can't be bypassed.

I've seen enough people die, and it's time to put a stop to it.

In fact, we should put a stop to all of it. Eating in cars, putting on make-up, etc. Specific activities need to be banned, and punishable by stiff fines or jail time.
I tend to agree with the above statement.

Once, when we had another thread on this subject, a poster wrote a very informative post about 'passive' versus 'active' listening (which I tend to recall from my college days, taking some blasted class I can't recall).

Anyway, the point was easy to remember: listening to music on the radio is 'passive' activity, meaning the mind is left to concentrate on driving and your surroundings. "Active" listening (including, of course, talking) means that a portion of your brain is actively engaged in listening/talking to another person: your brain is, at least partially, distracted from the task at hand (driving).

The poster (I wish I could remember his/her name) noted that testing had shown that talking to people within the car (front or back seat) is also 'active', although to a lesser extent. Still dangerous, but, after all, a necessity (unless we wish to have only single-occupancy cars; after my latest drive with my wife, I may favor that).

What 'grinds my gears' is a school district close to my house: signs are posted stating that it is illegal to use a cell phone within the confines around the school (i.e., where you must slow to 20 MPH). Yet, I often see concerned parents, dropping off their precious children, then immediately pull out the cell phone and start yapping, putting other precious children in danger. Oh, they won't use the phone while driving with THEIR children in the car, but will as soon as said children are out of the vehicle.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 PM

373 posts, read 710,638 times
Im so sick of seeing people trying to drive with cell phones in the hand that I may just order me a cell signal jammer and put it in my car. When any car around me trys to use his phone I will flip the switch and zappppppp their phone is out of order,,,You can buy these devices for about 30 bucks....Worth it for the good laughs you can have with it.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:17 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Isn't it a DAMN SHAME these Anti Cell Phone Laws have become a necessity? Whatever happened to individuals respecting the property and safety of others?

There's absolutely no way these phone conversations or text messages are so important as to jeopardize the safety of others.

Remember, no one is able to UNDO a serious accident.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Isn't it a DAMN SHAME these Anti Cell Phone Laws have become a necessity? Whatever happened to individuals respecting the property and safety of others?

There's absolutely no way these phone conversations or text messages are so important as to jeopardize the safety of others.

Remember, no one is able to UNDO a serious accident.
Agreed. This country is so selfish and self-absorbed that they won't react unless they are forced too (by explicit law), or unless they've had the accident and it's too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies