Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 03:25 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
And that's the truth. I cannot tell you how many slow drivers, consistently hitting their brakes (with nothing in front of them) I end up passing that are on their cell phones. If I have to be on my phone (a 10 second conversation), I keep up with traffic and pay attention to the road because that's kind of a priority as I drive my 2500lb SUV down the road. Most people aren't really that bright.

Taking hands free away will never fly.
There were plenty of slow drivers who hit their breaks for no reason before the advent of cell phone. I guarantee you that those people are bad drivers cell phone or no cell phone. It's not the phone. That's like saying that driving an SUV makes you a terrible driver because most of the people I seen in those things are poor drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 03:27 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Whats the responsability for making one severly handicapped? Should they have to financialy support that person for the rest of their life?
What difference does it make how the driver was distracted or not giving full attention to their driving?

What part of Reckless Driving don't you understand?

What happens today if you run a red light and kill someone if you are NOT talking on your cell phone?

Old 12-16-2011, 03:28 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It IS more distracting to talk to someone in the car than to use a hands free device. Especially if that someone is a child throwing a fit or something. Cell phone uses do make mistakes, and it's what we have now so we need to deal with it and not pretend it's going to go away or by crippling technology (which never works btw...you can't put genies back in bottles). Sorry.
People will cling to their unrealistic belief that talking on a hands-free phone is more dangerous than refereeing kids in the back, turning and talking to someone in the back seat, or talking in an interactive way with your front seat passenger. For whatever reason, they are convinced that talking on a cell phone is automatically worse than anything else.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:29 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,166 times
Quote:
Yes it is. This is fun, I can do it all day Your idea of "what passengers do" to avoid accidents is not real. With a hands free you aren't looking anywhere but the road. May as well ban singing with the radio and talking to youself, which I do all the time in the btw. It's a great way to work through things.

More cars and drivers??

There will be no kill swith to block cell phone use in cars. Never. Gunna. Happen.
WOW ! 20 pages, In reality it isn't the cell phone or the person texting that kills, its the vehicle going 60 + miles an hour. so let have the government order the auto manufactures go back to 2 cyl engines that only go 35 mph , then and only then will it be safe to drive . other wise if you afraid to go on the freeways then stay home or walk. There is no place that is safe when you have moving vehicles under any circumstances.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:30 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
WOW ! 20 pages, In reality it isan't the cell phone or the person texting that kills, its the vehicle going 60 + miles an hour. so let have the government arder the auto manufactures go back to 2 cyl engines that only go 35 mph , then and only then will it be safe to drive . other wise if you afraid to go on the freeways then stay homr or walk. There is no place that is safe when you have moving vehicles un der any circumstances.

Please tell me you're kidding.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:34 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
People will cling to their unrealistic belief that talking on a hands-free phone is more dangerous than refereeing kids in the back, turning and talking to someone in the back seat, or talking in an interactive way with your front seat passenger. For whatever reason, they are convinced that talking on a cell phone is automatically worse than anything else.
People NEED a target or a cause. It helps use feel less impotent when we have something to blame for all the bad stuff.

Cell phones are not the devil. Stupid people are going to do stupid things and we have to accept that. The closer we try to get to perfection in order to keep everyone "safe" (ie: zero tolerance, patriot act, etc) the worse we make things for everyone.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

Please tell me you're kidding.
Why would I kidd, Its the speed that kills not the action of the driver!

Old 12-16-2011, 03:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Why would I kidd, Its the speed that kills not the action of the driver!
So we should make it to where no one is able to drive over 35 mph?

Do you understand what kind of an effect that would have on people's daily lives and livelihoods? Do you understand how terrible that would be for the economy?

Old 12-16-2011, 03:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I'd say go back to horse and buggy but there aren't enough horses. And they get spooked and trample people so we'd just end up banning them anyway.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:03 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Yes it is. This is fun, I can do it all day Your idea of "what passengers do" to avoid accidents is not real. With a hands free you aren't looking anywhere but the road. May as well ban singing with the radio and talking to youself, which I do all the time in the btw. It's a great way to work through things.

More cars and drivers??

There will be no kill swith to block cell phone use in cars. Never. Gunna. Happen.
You can do it all all day, but I have better things to do. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone one who thinks yapping on a cell phone while driving is a good idea has friends who are just as careless, and don't bother to look at the road, or pay attention to driver clues. I have read the science, and I KNOW it's real because I drive a lot, and my responsible friends and family have pointed out dangers, and stopping talking numerous times when I have to make a difficult maneuver while driving, nor do they expect me to look at them every second. For responsible people, focusing on driving is more important than talking.

Last edited by detshen; 12-16-2011 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies