Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 03:03 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why don't people whine about the 'nanny state' when that state decides it needs to go half way around the world to fight for other countries? Why is nannying those other countries just fine & dandy?

It isnt fine a dandy. We should not be the worlds police dept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
There are some legitimate "nanny state" issues but this isn't one of them. Unless it's on the books that you will be fined for cell phone use people are going to claim they have the right to do it unless they actually kill someone. Lame.

I'm ok with the fines. Let's people who think "it won't happen to me" get clipped and have to pony up some $. Eventually they will wise up. I think this should be applied not only to cell phones but whenever a cop sees someone doing any number of things besides actually paying attention to the road. It can be an all encompasing law but certain types of cell phone use will have to be in there some where.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:07 PM

915 posts, read 3,181,411 times
LOL...
Our great state of Maryland already passed a law banning hand held phone while driving as secondary offend ...and they are talking about today to ban it altogether..damn you...
ban radio too may as well..ban talking to your passenger, ban kids in the car!

or maybe part of the whole Google thing, driving by themselves!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:33 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Sadly, and obviously, we do need legislation.
People aren't being reasonable and causing accidents and deaths.
You haven't explained why.

Again, there are laws on the books already to cover these accidents.

If someone is gong to break the existing laws, what makes you think they won't break the new laws? Reckless driving is reckless driving. Charge them.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:09 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,103 times
I don't know about this, but something definitely needs to be done and I am quite impressed to see the government stepping up to do something. I say that something needs to be done because I see people driving while either talking on a cellphone or operating their cellphone with their hands and they are driving slow, straying out of their lane and not looking at the road. We know how it goes. Even just talking on the phone and driving is tough because you have one hand on the wheel and there are situations where you really need two hands on the wheel.

There have been a ton of deaths out there because of cellphones and it seems like you're always hearing about it.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I don't know about this, but something definitely needs to be done and I am quite impressed to see the government stepping up to do something. I say that something needs to be done because I see people driving while either talking on a cellphone or operating their cellphone with their hands and they are driving slow, straying out of their lane and not looking at the road. We know how it goes. Even just talking on the phone and driving is tough because you have one hand on the wheel and there are situations where you really need two hands on the wheel.

There have been a ton of deaths out there because of cellphones and it seems like you're always hearing about it.

When you see these people, are they always having wrecks? And how do you see them? You are looking from the road when you are driving, are you not?

Maybe we should outlaw that?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,661,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
When you see these people, are they always having wrecks? And how do you see them? You are looking from the road when you are driving, are you not?

No, it's the flippant attitude of indifference....such as your's, that is disgusting. That would be what should be outlawed.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
too lazy to do the research but I'd bet a beer that most studies have shown that talking on the phone is more distracting than talking with a passenger, because the passenger is a second set of eyes (as well as some other stuff)
People keep mentioning studies, but I work in medicine and can tell you most studies are filled with bias, we give them far too much power in our culture. I have been driving for over 20 years, and I know that having a conversation with a passenger is much different than talking on cell phone. A passenger instinctively stops talking at any hint of danger, there are so many cues a passenger can hear or see, and they will modify their conversation accordingly, the person on the other end of the phone has no clue what's going on, and expects you to focus on the conversation.

Distracted driving is not okay, it's not too much to have laws requiring people fully focus on the task of driving, this should be no brainer, you can make your phone call, read the paper, or put on your makeup later. In some cases distracted driving is worse than drinking and driving (not that I'm pro drunk driving), at least some people who drink try really hard to focus on driving so they don't get pulled over, a distracted driver selfishly ignores everything except what they feel they need to do.

I drive a lot, and I'm so sick of the constant near misses with people on their phones. I can't believe some of the stupid, and incredible dangerous things I have seen drivers do while on their phones, it doesn't matter if they are holding the phone or not, I have seen just as much stupidity with hands free ear pieces.

Last edited by detshen; 12-15-2011 at 02:31 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

It's VERY easy to see that's someone is on the phone during daylight. A HUGE part of driving is paying attention to the cars around you, and watching to see what they are doing, that's how you avoid accidents, it's called defensive driving. Just staring at the road, and ignoring the cars around you is a good way to end up in an accident

Old 12-15-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
I think only an idiot would text and drive

But I don't want the government telling you what you can or can't do in your own car
That's fine when your car is sitting in your driveway, do whatever you want, but when you are out on the roads with the rest of us there are rules to be followed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies