Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times

Advertisements

NTSB recommends full ban on use of cell phones while driving - CNN.com

The NTSB announced today that states should ban all cell phone use, both hands free and hand held. Of course, there is no difference between the two, which is something that I usually bring up but people seem to ignore:

Study Shows Hands-Free Phones No Safer than Hand-Held Phones When Driving | EHS Today

Some studies have shown that talking on a cell phone is no more distracting than talking to a passenger, but other studies show that talking on the cell phone is slightly more distracting. Either way, it's not more distracting than eating, drinking, refereeing the kids in the back seat or doing anything else that people do. It's just more noticeable. There is also a psychological component where people see a bad driver, and the driver is on a cell phone (just like everyone else), they automatically think she is a bad driver because she is on a cell phone and forget that bad drivers existed before cell phones. Despite cell phone use and driving, highway fatalities are at an all time low.

The NTSB conducted this study after a person apparently "caused" a pile-up because of texting and driving (not even the issue here). Apparently, the cell phone is now also responsible if a bus behind you has faulty breaks and hits you from behind. Whose fault? The cellphone, naturally. So now the government is doing what it does best and will likely pull state funding if they don't ban all hands free and hand held cell phone use while driving, even though it's not more distracting than most other things. What ever happened to careless driving tickets for the people who aren't paying attention? I guess there is just not as much money in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,661,155 times
Default FINALLY!! Now, how long before it becomes against the LAW to drive and cell or text?

NTSB recommends full ban on use of cell phones while driving - CNN.com

Washington (CNN) -- A federal safety board called Tuesday for a nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.
The recommendation is the most far-reaching yet by the National Transportation Safety Board, which in the past 10 years has increasingly sought to limit the use of portable electronic devices -- recommending bans for novice drivers, school bus drivers and commercial truckers. Tuesday's recommendation, if adopted by states, would outlaw non-emergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:27 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,518,405 times
Overreach imo

Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
Do we really need more legislation? bottom line... phones and driving don't mix. if you do it you are not acting in your best interest... this goes for those that shave, apply makeup, eat or any number of things while driving.

Do we really need the government applying fines to us when we do these things? They have too many fines as it is. why give them more? get smart and stop doing it. But don't give up your rights in the mean time.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,287 times
Good. I don't want to share the road with people like you. If you need to text, make a phone call, eat, read a newspaper, put on makeup, or anything else that can distract you, please pull over to the side of the road.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
I guess we'll start seeing warnings like this on phones:

WARNING

Using this device while driving could
be hazardous to someones health

States will jump on this and increase their sales tax on the devices...

And we'll see a new organization pop up:

Mothers Against Cell Phone Drivers

Ahhhh America, you gotta love it.........

Old 12-13-2011, 05:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
"...how long before it becomes against the LAW to drive and cell or text?"

Finally? As your own article points out it is already illegal in most states. My problem isn't with banning of people yapping on the phone driving as they try to hold the steering wheel with one hand while trying to hold their phone with the other (and I sure as hell don't have a problem banning texting or surfing the web) but the ban on the use of hand free sets unless they are installed by the manufacturer or using the gps app on my iPhone, that to me is ridiculous.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,661,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
Overreach imo
That's a typical response from many who don't want to STOP using these cells...thereby risking their lives as well as 'OURS.'

Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
i once saw a dude driving down the interstate reading his paper propped up on his steering wheel. of course, he was smoking and drinking a coffee.

they cannot come down hard enough on someone that hurts someone while being an arse like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Do we really need more legislation? bottom line... phones and driving don't mix. if you do it you are not acting in your best interest... this goes for those that shave, apply makeup, eat or any number of things while driving.

Do we really need the government applying fines to us when we do these things? They have too many fines as it is. why give them more? get smart and stop doing it. But don't give up your rights in the mean time.
the fine is a deterrent for being stupid, when you drive that is a full time job and you owe a certain responsibility to those around you,

Old 12-13-2011, 05:37 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
I think it might be a little far. I agree with the handsfree laws and the texting laws, and think they both ought to be primary offenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies