Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Good. Now if they can only ban their use in restaurants, theaters, museums, parks....
Don't like hearing people talk on cell phones in restraurants, theaters, museums, and parks? Don't go to restraurants, theaters, museums, and parks where cell phone use is allowed.

Problem solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
If you're a conservative, you should oppose this outright. If you're a liberal, it depends on your definition of personal responsibility.

I look at it like this. The last statistics I saw said that driving while texting increased by over 50% this year. Yet, the number accidents didn't increase by the same percentage points. That tells me that a great number of people are able to text and drive. Sure, studies have been done that show that driving while texting or talking on a phone inhibits your driving. So does your stereo, so does talking to your passengers, so does driving with infants in the car, etc.

The question is, should a responsible driver, who is able to know when it is ok to text and drive, be punished for something that might happen?

My answer to that question is no.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 PM

800 posts, read 508,818 times
I think this law could very well backfire and actually make driving LESS safe. You see if nobody talks on the phone while driving anymore out of fear of others seeing it then many of those people will just text instead since then your phone is held lower and not nearly as readily visible to the popo. This is just asking for an explosion in the amount of texting while driving which is even less safe.

On another note: Lets face it, whether we like it or not a LOT of business is done while driving, so this law restricts economic opportunities and lessens efficiency of many working people.

Smart drivers will remain smart while idiots will stay idiots. We don't need any more nanny state laws and even more ways to be fined.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
I think this law could very well backfire and actually make driving LESS safe. You see if nobody talks on the phone while driving anymore out of fear of others seeing it then many of those people will just text instead since then your phone is held lower and not nearly as readily visible to the popo. This is just asking for an explosion in the amount of texting while driving which is even less safe.
I agree. I also don't think talking on the phone while driving is really that dangerous. I do it myself (it's completely legal in TX) and don't think I'm a worse driver at all.

Texting/e-mailing/Facebooking/surfing the web while driving is an entirely different story. It's worse than driving drunk. It should be illegal.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree. I also don't think talking on the phone while driving is really that dangerous. I do it myself (it's completely legal in TX) and don't think I'm a worse driver at all.

Texting/e-mailing/Facebooking/surfing the web while driving is an entirely different story. It's worse than driving drunk. It should be illegal.

If I can text, email, facebook, and surf the web while driving, without causing an accident, should I be arrested?

There are already laws on the books for distracted driving if one causes harm in the process.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,661,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you're a conservative, you should oppose this outright. If you're a liberal, it depends on your definition of personal responsibility.

I look at it like this. The last statistics I saw said that driving while texting increased by over 50% this year. Yet, the number accidents didn't increase by the same percentage points. That tells me that a great number of people are able to text and drive. Sure, studies have been done that show that driving while texting or talking on a phone inhibits your driving. So does your stereo, so does talking to your passengers, so does driving with infants in the car, etc.

The question is, should a responsible driver, who is able to know when it is ok to text and drive, be punished for something that might happen?

My answer to that question is no.

That is not true. The increase in danger...drivers on cells, lost in conversation...weaving from one lane to the other, driving SLOW...holding up traffic behind them....I could TALK ALL NIGHT how Bad cells are to ''Safety on our roads and Highways''

Even a fool realizes that fact. Cells and texting have caused more DANGER and accidents...than even drunk drivers. I have been appalled the last 10 or 15 years..that the Law has allowed this INSANITY.....but I realize it's about $$$$$....and a total disregard for SAFE DRIVING, by the LAW-Makers, etc.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
That is not true. The increase in danger...drivers on cells, lost in conversation...weaving from one lane to the other, driving SLOW...holding up traffic behind them....I could TALK ALL NIGHT how Bad cells are to ''Safety on our roads and Highways''

Even a fool realizes that fact. Cells and texting have caused more DANGER and accidents...than even drunk drivers. I have been appalled the last 10 or 15 years..that the Law has allowed this INSANITY.....but I realize it's about $$$$$....and a total disregard for SAFE DRIVING, by the LAW-Makers, etc.

You haven't shown me where an increase in texting while driving causes a increase in accident by the exact same number.

You claim that my post isn't true, but offer nothing in the way of proof to disprove my point.

Texting while driving does not cause accidents. Texting while driving in the wrong situation does. So why say that all texting while driving must be outlawed, when there are already laws written to punish those that hurt others while doing it.

I can hurt someone with a knife I buy. But we shouldn't outlaw all knives, because a few idiots don't know how to use them properly.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotic NTSB Spokeswoman
30,000 people in the United States die on our roadways every day.
That is an outright lie. I wonder what else she's lying about?

She also made a comment about trucking companies that have a policy which bans all use of cellphones having better safety records. I don't doubt that, but her saying it in the context she did is misleading, at best. Companies that implement a policy like that are also going to have implemented other policies, including being more discriminating about who they hire, which lead to them running a safer operation. Her implication was that the no-phone policy alone led to these companies having better safety records, when that's simply untrue.

I deal with all kinds of trucking operations, from independent owner/operators to companies with large fleets. Some have good safety records and some don't, and I can say that after looking at the records of nearly a thousand companies, and having an idea of how those companies conduct business, I can say that a single policy like that has nothing to do with their overall safety record. The companies with better records are better run companies all the way around. Those with poor safety records are almost universally managed in a very poor way, and it shows not only in their FMCSA reports but in how professional they are, how reliable their drivers are and how quickly they pay their bills.

Remember, people, that freedom is not free. There are risks inherent in living in a free society. The more of those freedoms you're willing to trade away for some (falsely) perceived sense of security, the closer you are to living in a totalitarian state.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:16 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,661,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You haven't shown me where an increase in texting while driving causes a increase in accident by the exact same number.

You claim that my post isn't true, but offer nothing in the way of proof to disprove my point.

Texting while driving does not cause accidents. Texting while driving in the wrong situation does. So why say that all texting while driving must be outlawed, when there are already laws written to punish those that hurt others while doing it.

I can hurt someone with a knife I buy. But we shouldn't outlaw all knives, because a few idiots don't know how to use them properly.
Pure Non-sense!! This reply really makes me ANGRY! Lots of Drunk Drivers make it from point A to point B...without killing an innocent child or themself...or you. By your logic...why not legalize driving and drinking? - This is enough...I'm wasting my valuable time!!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Texting shouldn't happen when you are driving. People have a million distractions already...eating, reading, talking to passengers, putting on makeup, getting a bj, whatever. The thing is that when you OUTLAW something you will still have a number of people doing these things because they don't care. Everyone else is probably smart enough not to do those things anyway.

I'm actually not opposed to a law about texting or clarifying what's acceptable cell phone use. Cell phones are new, we DON'T have laws on the books, and sometimes we need to get specific before people realize it's really a problem and not just someone trying to kill their buzz or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies