Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 11:48 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,204,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I understand all of that, really I do. I would not do this behind the wheel and I would always tell people to not do this, AS WELL as other things.

But what about people who get into accidents because they have kids in the car and the kids are acting up, thus, distracting the driver? Do we just.. not allow kids in cars anymore?

Also, going back to what you originally said in this reply: "The problem is there is a good chance that one day his luck will run out, and he will hurt or kill someone, and that can't be taken back, putting him in jail would be little comfort to the people who lost their loved one, or the person severely injured."

Even when you ban cell phones, there won't be police at EVERY car at all times watching. This means that even though it's illegal to be on your phone, it still doesn't mean that people WON'T do it. So regardless of it being illegal before or after the accident, the fact is that these accidents will still happen. This way, people can be truly punished for doing these things. If the punishments were so severe, people will be afraid to do this. It may be more effective than a law about "being caught". This will just promote people being sneaky.
If something is illegal far fewer people do it for fear of getting caught, and they are more careful when they do decide to break the law. That was my point about him not driving after drinking when he is outside the city, he doesn't do it because he fears being pulled over, yet in the city he does this dangerous thing with abandon because he knows he won't get pulled over, it may as well be legal. It has been shown that severity of punishment has limited effect on law breaking behavior (look into death penalty debates), simply increasing the punishment isn't going to stop the behavior either. The only thing that can be done is curb the behavior, and make people more conscious of it, they will still break the law but less often, and generally more carefully.

Not allowing kids in the car isn't comparable to using a cell phone in the car. Kids need to be in cars for many, many reasons, cell phones don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 11:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,899,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Not allowing kids in the car isn't comparable to using a cell phone in the car. Kids need to be in cars for many, many reasons, cell phones don't.
But why not? If you have 3 kids ages 4-7 in the car and they are fighting, bickering, complaining, acting up.... it's going to be distracting. I'm clearly aware that kids need to be in the car in order to get from point A to point B, lol, but anything that distracts is a problem.

Same can be said about the radio.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:42 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,483,141 times
Quote:
Who cares?? Why do you care what people do? Why is it important to control people ~BEFORE~ they can do stuff.

If someone kills someone in a car accident and it's because they were on their laptop while driving. Put them in jail for life!! Let people know that if you screw up majorly while driving you can *********rself!!

But if someone drives while surfing the web on their laptop and causes no harm -- why should they be punished??? (S)He didn't do ANYTHING wrong.

Basically, it comes down to more "equality" nonsense. We have to punish everyone equally, and say people who do stuff is wrong because it MIGHT harm someone. Heaven forbid we give people the benefit of the doubt and punish them majorly for taking advantage of it.

What about ecessive speeding? Should there be no speeding laws and only cite those who do after an accident?

Old 12-18-2011, 04:59 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,204,011 times
Quote:
But why not? If you have 3 kids ages 4-7 in the car and they are fighting, bickering, complaining, acting up.... it's going to be distracting. I'm clearly aware that kids need to be in the car in order to get from point A to point B, lol, but anything that distracts is a problem.

Same can be said about the radio.
I spent all my college years as a nanny for 3 kids, I drove them everywhere, and am now taking care of my nephew. You strap them in safely, and don't let them distract you, in all those years I never had a problem, but if things do get out of hand then you pull over and deal with it, which is exactly how one should handle a phone call PULL OVER, then you can talk to your hearts content without endangering anyone else! If you raise your kids to respect you, and respect focused driving as important, distraction from children is rarely a problem.

it's not comparable to CHOOSING to speak on a cellphone, since kids can't be left alone, at some point they will NEED to be in the car in order for a parent to function in life, no one ever NEEDS to speak on their cellphone in the car (except maybe if they have already had an accident, and need to call for help) If you let children distract you to the point where you are swerving all over the road you will get a ticket for reckless driving, and deserve it, then hopefully you will learn to control yourself, and your reaction to your kids. That's not very common among good parents, I know many, and have driven with them, this idea that every parent has a bunch of maniacs in the backseat is false.

Music in the car is not generally distracting, it's passive, many studies have shown it actually helps people drive more relaxed and focused, possible because it drowns out distracting thoughts, and alleviates boredom especially on long drives.

Last edited by detshen; 12-18-2011 at 05:34 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 05:58 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,022,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Do we really need more legislation? bottom line... phones and driving don't mix. if you do it you are not acting in your best interest... this goes for those that shave, apply makeup, eat or any number of things while driving.

Do we really need the government applying fines to us when we do these things? They have too many fines as it is. why give them more? get smart and stop doing it. But don't give up your rights in the mean time.
Do we really needs fines and other punishment for when people do something wrong?

I'd say yes. Going by your logic, murdering someone is not in your best interest, so let's just repeal that law and hope that you get smart and don't murder someone.

After all it's not like driving while distracted is only dangerous for the driver, it's dangerous for passengers as well, some of whom may be too young to realize the danger they're being put in, and it is of course also very dangerous to all those driving, biking, walking around them.

If something is dangerous I absolutely think there should be a fine for this behavior, in fact something that has proven to be as terribly dangerous as "texting while driving" should be a criminal offense. If you are texting while driving you're not just a "bad driver" you're being criminally negligent in my eyes. It has after all proven to be more dangerous than drunk driving.

At the same time, talking on your phone, either with a hands free device or without has never in any study that I'm aware of, proven to be anywhere NEAR as dangerous as texting while driving.

Sure, people would be safer if they didn't talk on the phone while driving. But some studies show that talking to a passenger is just as dangerous, studies have shown that listening to the radio is dangerous, etc. In fact one of the most dangerous activities that people regularly engage in while driving is constantly looking at children and taking their eyes off the road. Numerous studies have shown that driving in a car with children without another adult to supervise them is considerably more dangerous than talking on your cell phone.

But it's not like people are looking to outlaw driving children around.

The fact is if all we're concerned about is safety, everything should be illegal while driving, except for driving itself! Rooting around for your sunglasses, changing the radio station, talking to a passenger, driving your child. Doing anything other than keeping your eyes and mind focused on the road with two hands on the wheel, increases the likelihood of an accident.

But we can't expect people to do this. It's not reasonable. Some things are really dangerous, like drunk driving, or texting, or eating, and I think it's fine to outlaw things like that. But you can't outlaw everything that is the least bit dangerous.

To me talking on a cell phone is an acceptable risk, as others have said, it hasn't shown to be much more dangerous than just talking to other people in the car. The most dangerous part is actually accessing the phone and answering it, but a hands free device considerably diminishes this risk while also allowing the driver to use both hands to drive.

So in the end, I think there should definitely be fines for doing dangerous things while driving to ensure the safety of not just the driver, but all those around the driver. In the instance of very dangerous activities I actually think that a criminal offense may actually be more appropriate and would better discourage such dangerous behavior. However, not everything that is the least bit dangerous can be outlawed and have a fine attached to it. Driving while talking on a cell phone, to me falls into this category, particularly if you are using a hands free device. Nothing has shown me that is considerably more dangerous than many other scenarios that frequently play out while people drive. Making talking on a cell phone entirely illegal makes zero sense.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,022,375 times
Quote:
Who cares?? Why do you care what people do? Why is it important to control people ~BEFORE~ they can do stuff.

If someone kills someone in a car accident and it's because they were on their laptop while driving. Put them in jail for life!! Let people know that if you screw up majorly while driving you can *********rself!!

But if someone drives while surfing the web on their laptop and causes no harm -- why should they be punished??? (S)He didn't do ANYTHING wrong.

Basically, it comes down to more "equality" nonsense. We have to punish everyone equally, and say people who do stuff is wrong because it MIGHT harm someone. Heaven forbid we give people the benefit of the doubt and punish them majorly for taking advantage of it.
by your logic, people should feel free to walk around just pumping bullets from a machine all around them. If they hit someone, we'll send them to jail, but if not, they're not hurting anyone.

The fact is that anyone who does something as stupid as surf the web while driving will likely eventually get into an accident, and if they kill someone in that accident, you act as though it's no problem, you just send them to jail. Problem solved, the offender has been punished. Right?

Wrong.

There still someone who is dead, and no amount of jail time will bring them back. That's why as a human society we have developed the idea of criminal negligence. You can't just go around endangering the lives of others, even if you don't actually harm someone. It's not reasonable to expect that others should abide by such dangerous behavior and risk to their own well being.

Making very dangerous activities illegal, makes it possible for people to be arrested or stopped, BEFORE someone is actually killed.

Would you also say that people should be able to drink and drive? Because that's where your flawed logic takes you.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:17 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,212,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is nothing unconstitutional about promoting safety and general welfare of the US and its citizens, and this kind of public safety issue definetly falls in that category.

safety?

show me where in the Constituion it says anything about promoting safety.

people have to remember that there are already laws against inattentive driving, and that there is no reason to have anymore laws against this type of offense.

any law that is passed to combat this offense, is just put into place as a feelgood law to make the democrats and republicans feel like the politicians are actually doing something.

just enforce the laws already in place, no need to make more laws designed to mess up an already overloaded justice system.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,483,141 times
How about seatbelt laws and helmet laws? They dont affect other drivers , only the driver who chooses not to wear one.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:49 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,212,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
How about seatbelt laws and helmet laws? They dont affect other drivers , only the driver who chooses not to wear one.

that is just local and state politicians trying to legislate personal responsibility. it should not exist either.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:51 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,899,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
by your logic, people should feel free to walk around just pumping bullets from a machine all around them. If they hit someone, we'll send them to jail, but if not, they're not hurting anyone.

The fact is that anyone who does something as stupid as surf the web while driving will likely eventually get into an accident, and if they kill someone in that accident, you act as though it's no problem, you just send them to jail. Problem solved, the offender has been punished. Right?

Wrong.

There still someone who is dead, and no amount of jail time will bring them back. That's why as a human society we have developed the idea of criminal negligence. You can't just go around endangering the lives of others, even if you don't actually harm someone. It's not reasonable to expect that others should abide by such dangerous behavior and risk to their own well being.

Making very dangerous activities illegal, makes it possible for people to be arrested or stopped, BEFORE someone is actually killed.

Would you also say that people should be able to drink and drive? Because that's where your flawed logic takes you.
I absolutely agree that these things shouldn't be done at ALL. Some people are under the crazy impression that all people are equal in every single way, and it's simply not true. Some people are better drivers, so they don't allow themselves to lose focus.. if they are on the phone. I'm just an advocate for personal choice.

But when you make it illegal BEFORE something happens... how on earth do you ~TRULY~ enforce it? Eventually we're going to have to, what, install cameras in our cars so they can watch us at all times? They are going to have to increase the police force by.. 300% just so they have enough of them out there making sure no one is texting?

And what if it is illegal to be on your phone "so no one gets killed", and someone does it ANYWAY and there wasn't a cop around? Someone STILL can get killed. Just by creating a law does NOT mean people will stop. Look at all of those successful drug laws!

It'll be EASY to find statistics about how many accidents are caused by people who are on their phone or texting per year, but where are the statistics that show how many people drive daily ON their phone/texting and never cause an accident? We'll never be allowed to know the former, because it goes against political agenda.

As for drunk driving, that's so varied. I'm pretty sure each state is different in what "DUI" is considered. You might have 1 glass of wine that makes you just slightly buzzed and you ARE ok to drive vs someone who just has 10 shots of tequilla and can't keep their eyes open.

Again, I'd love to see statistics that show how many people drive with alcohol in their bodies and get to their destination safely, and never had an accident. We'll NEVER see that.

We are supposed to fear personal responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies