Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 11:42 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Develop useful skills.

Simple solutions for simple problems.
So you're saying that having an MS in chemical engineering isn't a useful skill? Even if I'm inexperienced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 11:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
So you're saying that having an MS in chemical engineering isn't a useful skill? Even if I'm inexperienced?

Jobs in Chemical Engineering: Salary Outlook & Job Information
Chemical engineering is a changing profession, as dangerous and delicate industrial processes continued to be offshored to China and India, where land values are far cheaper than in the United States. Research, innovation, and demographic pressures are changing chemical engineering from an industrial to a service oriented discipline.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:53 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Now I'm saying that if you have a master's in chemical engineering, you have no excuse for being unemployed. Chemistry was my minor in university, and *every* person I've kept in touch with from those days who was a chem major? Is working. Now, I understand there is a difference between chemistry and chemical engineering (some of them significant), but there are jobs out there for that field.

Let me guess, you refuse to work for the oil companies because they're evil? And you're unwilling to relocate anywhere where they are presently building facilities that would need someone of your expertise in the construction of the facility?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Tell ya what, how about a trade? You give me property, and I'll give you a clue.

It's absolutely true that people would have opportunities if they'd get off their rear ends and learn something useful. I'll give you 4 present-day examples:

The Seattle Times has called me no less than 4 times in the last 8 months because they're looking for a Sr. Network Engineer. I've no interest, I've already got a great job (2 if you count the company I own), my skillset is beyond what they need, the money doesn't match up for me etc.....but they have had this job open for EIGHT MONTHS. They keep calling me because they can't find anybody (In Seattle, mind you, a mecca for techies) to fill the role. A friend at Expedia keeps trying to poach me away, and he's had four positions open since June that he's been unable to fill (it was 6, but apparently he FINALLY found 2 people). Not all of them senior level. Indian Headhunters keep pestering me about a gig at T-Mobile since July. I field at least 1 headhunter call a week about that gig. It's only a couple of steps above entry level (which puts it so far below where I'm at, I wonder why they even call), but again, they can't fill it. And I field at least 2 calls a week about new AT&T openings, and have every week since about February.

These are jobs that have been open for a long time that the companies simply can't fill. These are all 80 (T-Mobile)-175Ka year jobs that have sat open for AGES because there's nobody to take them.

But yeah, there are no opportunities or jobs for those willing to get an education. Right.
Woo-hoo, I'm so impressed! You're probably also 25 years old; just wait 10-15 years when YOU get laid off. As DH says, "they like them to be 21 years old and have 10 years experience". Don't believe it? Ask a few of your older co-workers (assuming your company has any).

I also own a mountain property in Illinois I'll sell you, cheap!

Quote:
Develop useful skills.

Simple solutions for simple problems.
Oh, you walked into this one! I assume you're familiar with this guy:

For every problem, there exists a simple and elegant solution which is absolutely wrong.

- J. Wagoner, U.C.B. Mathematics

Philosophy Quotes - Literary Quotes About Philosophy and Practically Everything Else (http://quotes.prolix.nu/Philosophy/ - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
He's not joking. Are you in IT? I'm a total loser and I get more job offers than he's talking about.
Big whoop! You're probably no more than 25, either. Just wait a few years!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:02 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, you walked into this one! I assume you're familiar with this guy:

For every problem, there exists a simple and elegant solution which is absolutely wrong.

- J. Wagoner, U.C.B. Mathematics
And there are 50 overly complex and ridiculous solutions to go along with it. Speaking of IT, I stick to the KISS principle.

Quote:
What??? That doesn't even make sense. Yeah, I'm sure I'll stop getting job offers in about two years on my 25th birthday. It will all just dry up immediately

Old 12-17-2011, 12:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
And there are 50 overly complex and ridiculous solutions to go along with it. Speaking of IT, I stick to the KISS principle.

What??? That doesn't even make sense. Yeah, I'm sure I'll stop getting job offers in about two years on my 25th birthday. It will all just dry up immediately
23 years old? Do you have an advanced degree? Just wait! Don't break your neck falling off that high horse. BTW, you're younger than both of my kids.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:07 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,767,375 times
There's still more job seekers than job openings.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:09 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,018 times
Quote:
23 years old? Do you have an advanced degree? Just wait! Don't break your neck falling off that high horse. BTW, you're younger than both of my kids.
You know you've run out of arguments when you repeatedly pull the "I'm older than you" card.

No, I don't have an advanced degree. I still manage to pull contracts making $40-100 per hour, and I consider myself overqualified for most of those. PHP is a toy language.

My common sense tells me that with more experience and more certifications (got 2 this month) I'll make more, not less.

But by all means, please tell me all about this traumatic event that will occur on my 25th birthday. You're not going to let me fall right into it are you? That's not a very liberal and caring thing to do.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:16 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,652 times
Quote:
Woo-hoo, I'm so impressed! You're probably also 25 years old; just wait 10-15 years when YOU get laid off. As DH says, "they like them to be 21 years old and have 10 years experience". Don't believe it? Ask a few of your older co-workers (assuming your company has any).
Actually, I'm in my mid 30's, have almost 15 years experience and, according to salary.com, my salary is well above the 100th percentile for the area. Try again?

Quote:
A few is 3-5. Therefore, I should have experienced what you're describing a few years ago (especially given that the timing would have been right when the economy was faltering). Never happened. I wonder why that is....

Old 12-17-2011, 12:28 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,518 times
Quote:
Now I'm saying that if you have a master's in chemical engineering, you have no excuse for being unemployed. Chemistry was my minor in university, and *every* person I've kept in touch with from those days who was a chem major? Is working. Now, I understand there is a difference between chemistry and chemical engineering (some of them significant), but there are jobs out there for that field.

Let me guess, you refuse to work for the oil companies because they're evil? And you're unwilling to relocate anywhere where they are presently building facilities that would need someone of your expertise in the construction of the facility?
No, not at all. I've applied for oil industry jobs, and I'd take one faster than it took me to type this sentence. That's not the point though.

The point is that regardless of what skills you have, bad things sometimes happen, and you can't wave a magic wand and get the job you want. It takes patience. But I still would believe that I'd be more likely to get a job in my field in the next year or so (I've been laid off for about six months so far) than it would be to retrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies