Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm a liberal, atheist homosexual who no longer will shop at Chick-fil-A (not that I have the option to here in NYC). That said, their original chicken sandwich, no pickle, with one mayo packet is heavenly.
I'm not a liberal. I'm not a homosexual. I'm not an athiest. But I'm also not a Christian and certainly not evangelical.

And I generally despise fast food.

Yet I agree with your assessment of Chick-Fil-A wholeheartedly, except I have mine with the barbeque sauce instead of mayo.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The idea that gay marriage is immoral and therefore should be banned for EVERYONE.

Now, I'm straight and I live in the great state of Massachusetts where people realize that their religious beliefs are private and that religious morality cannot be legislated. But most Americans are not so lucky. In my battle with cancer last year, I met several couples where one half of the couple was barred from the hospital room of a dying partner because they had the wrong genitalia and their partner's family did not approve. They also do not qualify for FMLA, so at least one of my friends lost her job while caring for her dying partner. When you do not support gay marriage, that is what you are supporting. Life partners separated in hospitals. Lives ruined.

If some Christians want to follow their anti-family, cherry-picked standards, that's fine. Don't force it on me and my friends through legislation. Their marriages do not affect your marriage or your life, but bring great joy and stability to homosexual and the friends that are lucky enough to bear witness to a loving couple of ANY gender.
The hospital problem is easily taken care of. When one goes into a hospital write down who can visit you and can who cannot. Problem solved. In case of emergency do it now so you won't be without it. Put it with your insurance card.

Some people have job problems now when they are taking care of a dying parent. Maybe we should make exceptions for them as well. All these problems can be taken care of without gay marriage.

How do straight unmarried couples manage when one is sick and in the hospital? A lot of straight couples never get married and they seem to manage.

BUT THIS IS ALL OFF TOPIC.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Luckily, I know that all Christians are not morally bankrupt like Mr. Cathy. If he cares so much about gay marriage, then he can donate his OWN money rather than forcing his customers to give to heinous organizations unknowingly.

I am Jewish and I don't try to shove my religious obligations down your throat. Why do Christians feel the need to do that to others? If this is a good example of Christianity (which I know it's not), then Christianity is no better than the Taliban forcing everyone to follow strict Sharia law. Sharia law and fundamentalist Christian law are not all that different, just Christian fundies cherry pick the more "icky" things to focus on.
It's not your money anymore after you pay for your dinner----it's his for supplying you the food.

Why can't people understand this?

You are not forced to eat there. No force is involved.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Uhh...I'm not an evangelical.

I think the difference between Chick-Fil-A's food and, say, McDonalds' food is quite clear.
Yes.

McDonald's can actually be edible from time to time.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:15 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The hospital problem is easily taken care of. When one goes into a hospital write down who can visit you and can who cannot. Problem solved. In case of emergency do it now so you won't be without it. Put it with your insurance card.

Some people have job problems now when they are taking care of a dying parent. Maybe we should make exceptions for them as well. All these problems can be taken care of without gay marriage.

How do straight unmarried couples manage when one is sick and in the hospital? A lot of straight couples never get married and they seem to manage.

And those written documents are easily struck down by families. My friend's partner of 15 years died of the cancer I have and despite being by her side for 2 months in the hospital, the parents were able to get her booted out of the hospital the second their daughter went into a coma despite a documentation in the hospital to the contrary.

Unmarried heterosexual couples can stay when one is sick because a family is a lot less likely to contest.

This is not off topic at all. Those who are gloating about Chickfila's support of anti-gay organizations either are woefully ignorant to the realities of what they are supporting, or they are cruel and selfish.

There is no reason for gay marriage to not be universally legal in the US. None whatsoever.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
It's not your money anymore after you pay for your dinner----it's his for supplying you the food.

It's not my money at all because I will no longer spend money at that location, nor will most people I know.

That's the point of a boycott.

The immorality of the CEO and his supporters does not stop just because I no longer contribute money to support them - and it's my right to point out those flaws just like it is his right to continue reflecting a poor image of his faith on the world.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Alright so if traditional, family values are so important how about the Conservatives/Republicans define them?

I'll provide a format that is entirely OPTIONAL to use.

Ahem -

"To me, these are some examples of what I feel are traditional, family values. I cherish and uphold the following:

These are what I feel are important to the fabric of American society and allowing homosexuals to marry will destroy this."

There not so hard now is it?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:

Washington Adventist denied same-sex visitation; hospital apologizes - The Washington Post

Kept From a Dying Partner’s Bedside

Wisconsin Governor Moves To Block Hospital Visitation Rights For Same-Sex Couples

Same-sex partners being denied visiting rights | palliative care | hospice

Out & About - Woman denied visitation of partner at local hospital

http://www.metroweekly.com/news/last...a-hospita.html

Old 07-25-2012, 11:22 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
The immorality of the CEO and his supporters .
You don't know right from wrong. His is the moral stand.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:22 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:

Exactly...I don't want my money to become his money. So I choose to eat elsewhere. Why don't people understand that making that choice is not infringing on his right to free speech in any possible way?

When a religion presses for laws or to deny rights based on the tenants of their faith, they are using force. They are forcing me to follow their religion's tenets even though I don't believe in that religion.

CFA is using their profits to fund groups that want to force me to follow the tenets of a religion not my own. I therefore choose not to let my money become his so that he can't use it for such a purpose. That is a perfectly logical response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies