Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 10:45 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Exactly. The chains with the most locations in Boston originated within the area and/or have their headquarters there. From that site, the chains with the most locations-other than Burger King and Mickey D's- include Bertucci's (13-15), D'Angelos (47), Dunkin Donuts (hundreds), Friendly's (14-16), Honey Dew (26), and so on, they ALL orginated in Massachusetts. There's ONE Cheesecake factory in Boston, ONE Target (can't even remember if there's a K-Mart and, if not, than that ONE Target is the only store of the big three-Target, K-Mart, and Walmart, within city limits), no chain restaurants like Applebees or TGIF (pretty sure they closed the TGIF on Newbury St ages ago), and few fast food chains outside of BK and McD.

Boston simply isn't built on national chains like some cities are. Many of the chains there are homegrown and many would like to keep it that way. And the chains the city allows would be wise not to fund anti-gay groups in a state that was the first to allow gay marriage.

Gag me with a broom stick.

Who give a flying spit where the chain originated. A chain is a chain. Boston Market is a chain just like McDonalds.

Boston is no different than a dozen other US metro areas. Thousands of chains in the outlying areas, with few in the central city. That's quite normal.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,346 times
Quote:
As far as this city and state goes, it's bigoted.

Not really.

Does Chick Fil A REFUSE to SERVE anyone?

That would be a crime. Giving your own money to any organization you believe in (as long as it's not on a terror list) is perfectly legal and an expression of their constitutional rights.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Most people call the entire metro area "Boston". In fact, the city of Boston is quite small (617,000 people). The metro area is 4.5 million people. It's like Atlanta (420,000 people in a metro area of 5.3 million).

If you exclude the surrounding metro area, Boston would be a pimple with no economic clout. Boston is just like almost all other big metro areas. Chain restaurants abound in the outer areas, but are few and far between in the central city. Boston is no different.
It doesn't matter because we're talking about the mayor of Boston. He has no control over the "Boston metro area" but he can dictate what businesses open or don't open within city limit and it's a fact that the city of Boston has few chains that aren't local/regional. That's the point being made here. Mumbles can't stop CFA from opening a location in, say, Quincy or Somerville if those mayors wanted CFA there.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is the joke forum.

Hillarious watching people bicker for pages about what should be done to a private company because you don't like the owners views.

Simple, don't go....or do go....

However, it's sickening to see people talking about not allowing them in their town etc etc. which is a crappy fascist thing to do. Let the people decide and vote with their wallet. I mean imagine not letting someone open a shop in your town because they happen to be gay or even pro-gay? It's nuts.

I agree 100%. Why would these idiots want their mayor to decide what businesses they should shop at? Has the Nanny State mentality totally brainwashed these people? Do they not have enough intelligence to decide where to eat? Do they require the mayor to tell them where to buy their chicken?

Disgusting!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
This.

There was a news article about a town near Chicago barring a bar and restaurant called Tilted Kilt from opening b/c they disagreed w/ the chain, which is like a Hooters but with a "Celtic" theme. When it comes to places like this, it's usually Christians who cry foul and try to ban them b/c of their sexual nature. .

Are you sure? Where did you get those facts? Maybe it's usually Muslims.... or Progressives.... since Progressives love to tell others how to live their lives.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Except, as I already proved, their main corporate slogan is a lie. I would say lying is a bad thing. But I agree, they live by the Christian code, so to speak.

Actually, you didn't even PROVE that was their 'corporate slogan' first of all.

Here's their website URL.....where do I find this HORRIBLE LIE???

Chick-fil-A

Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Maybe we should ALL boycott the Democratic Party and President Obama since they've patronized Chick Fil A.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Nothing facist about it. And the people did decide since last I checked Menino was a publicly elected official.
Perhaps Chick Fila is best suited for the areas of the country that share it's president's/owners view and where homosexuals ware treated more in line with views. Many shops and businesses are not allowed in Boston(and elsewhere in the northeast), because of various reason, many trivial, many not. Many business are kept out of Boston, for basically no reason at all(Wal-Mart). Cry me a river for this guy.
No, the people did not decide. Menino decided. If you have a link to a citizen vote on CFA, please post it.

I could care less for CFA or it's owner. I never eat there. But the river you should cry is for the poor people of Boston who have allowed the mayor to tell them where they can and cannot eat.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:53 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
And how do you decide which companies are funding groups with bigoted goals? Have you examined every business contribution of every company in Boston?
Nope, but when a CEO of a company announces it to practically the whole world that he is anti-gay marriage, obviously that's going to put a spotlight on you.

I can't BEGIN to imagine how many small business may be owned and operated by people are are pure out racists, misogynists, homophobic, or otherwise bigoted. But if they don't announce their views to the whole world and don't discriminate against them, then who is to know what you feel in your heart, what your morals are? Like I said before, all of this outrage could have been avoided if he had kept his feelings to himself. He is entitled to them, but shouldn't be surprised when people loudly disagree with him. He's the one hurting CFA and as a result of his big mouth, sponsors and customers are pulling away.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
No, the people did not decide. Menino decided. If you have a link to a citizen vote on CFA, please post it.

I could care less for CFA or it's owner. I never eat there. But the river you should cry is for the poor people of Boston who have allowed the mayor to tell them where they can and cannot eat.
Boston mayoral election, 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies