Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 04:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
How little you know about it.

Bigotry and ignorance? What's that?
How little I know about what?

When did Jesus say it was ok not to go to church on the Sabbath, Saturday, so says God?

When did Jesus say you don't have to follow the rules of the old testament? When asked if he was going to abolish the law, he said no, he came to fulfill the law.

When asked what laws should be followed he said "you know my fathers law", which was ALL of the Mosaic laws of the old testament, not just some, not just the 10 commandments, but all.

Hell, the sabbath is part of the 10 commandments, and fundamentalist Christians don't follow that.

Here is a hint, no one, ever, in the bible, said you don't have to follow Mosaic laws. That came from the Pope.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You must be living in another era, maybe in the Old Testament.
So the entire Old Testament has been superceded? Or is it just certain parts?

If the Old Testament is no longer valid why do Christians still want to display the 10 Commandments?

Why is the gay hatred still OK, wasn't that in the Old Testament?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:28 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I heard an interview wih Cathy (founder) on Huckabee...he said he absolutely serves everyone who comes in his restaurants and does not discriminate toward anyone. But he believes in traditional marriage, one man and one woman and I hope he stands his ground because he has a right to his beliefs. He's not hurting anyone, just stating his beliefs...which I used to think we had a right to in this country.
He will take their money gladly, all while sending a portion of that money to organizations that call gays abominations and encourage them to turn straight. That's VERY different from simply stating an opinion.

Quote:
The day is here when we have lost our freedom of speech. We aren't allowed to have an opinion on anything that isn't totally PC and even beyond that. Lots of people work for companies where they are forced to act like they accept all these lifestyles, one cannot even be neutral, or else you are a bigot, hater, etc. The only people who have freedom of speech are the left, they can say and do anything they please and we all have to go along with it. It's a sad day for America.
I don't think you know what freedom of speech means. THAT is a sad day for America.

Quote:
Chicago mayor says Chick-Fil-A has no place in their city...oh, but it's fine that there are like how many murders a day (mostly in black communities) in Chicago and nobody is picketing and outraged. Everybody gets outraged over a chicken sandwich. Yes, the world is turned upside down.
It was the mayor of my proud city of Boston who said that. Boston has one of the lowest unemployment rates (6%) and lowest crime rate of any major city in the US. The Chick-fil-a is being proposed right on the Freedom Trail across the street from the Holocaust memorial - one of the most powerful places in the city. Yes, the world is turned upsidedown if Chick-fil-a thinks that they can take such actions without consequences.

The Chick-fil-a in a mall in the Boston metro was empty. Mayor Menino was speaking for the people of this great state that was the first to legalize gay marriage.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
This happens all the time when you pay taxes.
People have a choice to boycott by not frequenting a private buiness that goes against the values that they hold. I don't believe that anyone, heterosexual, homosexual or otherwise, would give their dollars to an enterprise that donates to stifling their rights.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:30 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post

If the Old Testament is no longer valid why do Christians still want to display the 10 Commandments?

She clearly believes that Jesus is from another era and therefore is no longer relevant, which renders this entire conversation moot.

2,873 posts, read 5,855,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I heard an interview wih Cathy (founder) on Huckabee...he said he absolutely serves everyone who comes in his restaurants and does not discriminate toward anyone. But he believes in traditional marriage, one man and one woman and I hope he stands his ground because he has a right to his beliefs. He's not hurting anyone, just stating his beliefs...which I used to think we had a right to in this country.

The day is here when we have lost our freedom of speech. We aren't allowed to have an opinion on anything that isn't totally PC and even beyond that. Lots of people work for companies where they are forced to act like they accept all these lifestyles, one cannot even be neutral, or else you are a bigot, hater, etc. The only people who have freedom of speech are the left, they can say and do anything they please and we all have to go along with it. It's a sad day for America.

Chicago mayor says Chick-Fil-A has no place in their city...oh, but it's fine that there are like how many murders a day (mostly in black communities) in Chicago and nobody is picketing and outraged. Everybody gets outraged over a chicken sandwich. Yes, the world is turned upside down.
One more time...he can SAY whatever he wants. That's not the issue. The issue is that he uses profits from his company to fund groups that some people don't agree with. Where do those profits come from? The customers. The customers get to make the choice where to spend their money.

THAT IS FREE SPEECH. No one has yet answered what the difference is between this situation and the many, many companies that right wing organizations have boycotted. Are you spending money equally between all possible organizations? Or do you perhaps pick and choose where to spend your money based on any number of factors?

I'm not going to give my money to causes I don't agree with. Guess what? My right to make that choice is protected. You have the same right and I'm happy for it. If you agree with CFA or just don't care about the politics, feel free to buy their product. When you do, you'll be exercising the exact same rights I am when I choose not to.

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
He will take their money gladly, all while sending a portion of that money to organizations that call gays abominations and encourage them to turn straight. That's VERY different from simply stating an opinion.

I don't think you know what freedom of speech means. THAT is a sad day for America.

It was the mayor of my proud city of Boston who said that. Boston has one of the lowest unemployment rates (6%) and lowest crime rate of any major city in the US. The Chick-fil-a is being proposed right on the Freedom Trail across the street from the Holocaust memorial - one of the most powerful places in the city. Yes, the world is turned upsidedown if Chick-fil-a thinks that they can take such actions without consequences.

The Chick-fil-a in a mall in the Boston metro was empty. Mayor Menino was speaking for the people of this great state that was the first to legalize gay marriage.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:33 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Sure I do but I don't tell them they can have a marriage. It's impossible for 2 men to have a "marriage."
If it's impossible, then how is it I can go file civil marriage paperwork for 2 men here in New York?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post

There were "vague" references to homosexuality in the new testament as well, but nothing like the old testament.

Christians have been picking and choosing which laws to follow since Constantine decided to swap religions.

Just like they didn't celebrate Christmas, but becasue people who were "gentiles" celebrated a year end festival, it was made a church holiday. Green trees, yule logs, holly, etc, all were gentile things long before they were Christian.

Gentiles were going to eat pork, they were going to do lots of things that were never ok'd to do by Jesus or God. Christianity couldn't become "mainstream" without those rules removed.

So the ruling was that when Jesus said "I didn't come to abolish the law, I came to fulfill it" meant that you only had to follow the 10 commandments from the old testament. Then sex outside of marriage was ruled as "adultry", which pretty much outlawed all forms of sex, straight or homosexual.

And we are still dealing with those Roman laws today.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings_Hockey View Post
That reminds me, when are they releasing the bible v3.0 (beta)?
Already have, called the new international version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies