Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Jesus agrees with God's original plan for marriage One Man / One Woman
But he never specifically said that's how marriage ought to be.

And what does the bible have to do with civil, secular law again?

Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,291,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Jesus spoke clear on Homosexuality and so did God.. If you can't handle what God said about the human race then you have a problem with God.
Please quote him.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
First, remember that Jesus is not confined to the Gospels not the New Testament since He has been with God forever.

However, Matthew 19:5 states:

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.
First, remember that you base your beliefs on the literal word of God and quote the Bible so you can't suddenly reach beyond the Bible when it doesn't contain phrases that endorse your personal beliefs.

Second, the Matthew 19:5 doesn't quote Jesus as denouncing homosexuality. That is your intrepretation of what Jesus stated.

The issue I have with the Bible (I've read and studied it) is that issues related to conduct and behavior were written by Saul/Paul, a person who never met Jesus and declared himself a prophet based on illusions/images he had while walking in the desert which makes him no different than the self titled prophets you see today. And his sudden "blindness" in the desert sounds like an episode of Conduct Disorder. I think if most people knew that Paul never met Jesus, they would probably view the Bible differently.

I believe in God and Jesus. I also believe in many books of the Bible but not the entire thing particularly the writings of Paul/Saul which is where I differ from most Evangelicals like yourself.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-27-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,739 times
Why are you boycotting a private company just because they are using their 1st amendment right? They don't have to like gay marriage and you don't have to eat there! However if they are say harming gay employees or firing gays etc etc then that would be a good reason to boycott.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:52 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Why are you boycotting a private company just because they are using their 1st amendment right? They don't have to like gay marriage and you don't have to eat there! However if they are say harming gay employees or firing gays etc etc then that would be a good reason to boycott.
It is my right to boycott companies that endorse beliefs that I don't believe in. Likewise, I respect his right to publish his views on religion. It's a free country. Some of my beliefs are liberal and if people wanted to boycott my practice because of my beliefs, they are certainly entitled to do so and I will respect their actions.

Fortunately for me, I don't like the taste of Chick Fil A so it's not a difficult sacrafice. As I stated earlier, dry chicken sandwiches with non-crispy breading is pretty tasteless to me.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I never ate there to begin with, but what I understand is that most people are boycotting since CFA donates to anti-gay groups.

Some would say "hate groups" but I think that's going a bit too far. That's what I've read and heard around the internet anyway.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 AM

45,565 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Please quote him.
Leviticus 18:1-2 - Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, `I am the LORD your God.

...same dialogue from the Lord...

Leviticus 18:22 - `You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.'

You understand - the Lord did exist before the Gospel accounts...

Old 07-27-2012, 10:59 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
...the same cliche a few misguided members here have used, saying "This man has every right to say whatever he wants". Is this a reflection of just how far down America has gone? That legal rights = all rights? Or are there also moral rights to concern oneself with? Now, how better to judge the morality of something than to determine whether that something is necessarily harmful or risky in and of itself, as compared to its necessity and benefit?

If someone here would claim the moral right to discriminate against homosexuals, I ask again for evidence to support such an argument.

Here is evidence that might suggest gays are just as good (better, actually) at making a marriage work than heterosexuals:

Study: Same Sex Couples Have Lower Divorce Rates Than The Straights
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Divorce Rates Higher in States with Gay Marriage Bans

Here is evidence that being raised by gay parents is not harmful to children in any way:

APA Policy Statement: Sexual Orientation, Parents, & Children
Studies of same-sex parenting

And here is evidence that children raised by same-sex couples may even fare better, generally speaking:

//www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/1634626-childs-life-gay-household-68.html#post25163209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Free speech. Deal with it.
I responded to your hiding behind the freedom of speech in the very first paragraph. Just because you are allowed to do something doesn't make it justified

Quote:
I have to ignore many things from the left that I find disgusting. But as usual, liberals think free speech stops when they disagree with the message or messenger.
Your excuse for not defending your opinion is a stereotype of liberals? I don't see any of them here trying to take Chick-Fil-A's freedom of speech away. But the neat thing about freedom of speech is that we also have the right to criticize something we don't agree with, particularly when there is no defense for it (which is clearly the case on this issue, since none of you can justify your opinion that gays shouldn't be allowed to marry and adopt). So we have both the legal and moral right to call you on it. In your own words, "Deal with it".

Quote:
Again: where was the outrage when Obama had the EXACT SAME POSITION on marriage just a few short months ago.
Can't speak for anyone else. I for one think it's entirely unreasonable for anyone to want to keep gays from getting married or adopting, given the fact that no consistent research has found any reason to discriminate against them in either way.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Leviticus 18:1-2 - Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, `I am the LORD your God.

...same dialogue from the Lord...

Leviticus 18:22 - `You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.'

You understand - the Lord did exist before the Gospel accounts...
Yeah see your god said that, not Jesus.

Also - what does that have to do with civil, secular law? Religion has no place in it.

Not to mention -

Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I responded to your hiding behind the freedom of speech in the very first paragraph. Just because you are allowed to do something doesn't make it justified

Your excuse for not defending your opinion is a stereotype of liberals? I don't see any of them here trying to take Chick-Fil-A's freedom of speech away. But the neat thing about freedom of speech is that we also have the right to criticize something we don't agree with, particularly when there is no defense for it (which is clearly the case on this issue, since none of you can justify your opinion that gays shouldn't be allowed to marry and adopt). So we have both the legal and moral right to call you on it. In your own words, "Deal with it".

Can't speak for anyone else. I for one think it's entirely unreasonable for anyone to want to keep gays from getting married or adopting, given the fact that no consistent research has found any reason to discriminate against them in either way.
You don't call elected officials denying permits to build in "their" city a taking away of freedom of speech? Hm, punishing someone for speaking that is meant to intimidate, with the backing of the power of government IS taking that CONSTITUTIONALLY GUARANTEED right away.

Liberals make me sick to my stomach. The fact that they hate the Constitution comes out loud and clear. Hiding behind freedom of speech? Are you serious? Just because you disagree with the speech does NOT make is unjustified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies