Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,242,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I don't know, check with the Chinese
I'm pretty sure the people who own the Chinese companies don't care about marriage laws in the US. Nice try though.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:18 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,592,641 times
I'll start caring about people who tout how they're boycotting Chik-Fil-A for gay rights when they stop doing so while updating their Facebook with this revelation from beside their car at a gas station, as they fill up with oil purchased from countries that openly execute gay people.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:18 PM

431 posts, read 475,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Everyone has to decide for themselves what they are willing to sacrifice for any given moral value. Going without gasoline would certainly make a strong statement, but it would also demand some considerable change in that person's lifestyle. Going without Chick-Fil-A is a burden I'm sure we can all bear with ease.
sure but why the hell should i just because alternative lifestyle people dont like there stance .? many organisations support ideas i dont particuly care for, but i shop there all the same if i like what is offered .

im a libertarian not against S/S marriage if thats what rocks your boat go for it marry your dog if you choose

but i am agianst any movement that resticts the right of free speech and the expressing of it
stick your boycott where the sun dont shine

Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,122,446 times
Donate (the cost of) a Chicken Dinner for Marriage Equality Day | Facebook

Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,970,911 times
I would like to extrapolate on my above post about the "Droit de Seigneur" ...

This tradition took many different forms in different societies. Sometimes the families of the girls were complicit in the forced sexual servitude to lords and masters. Two historical examples: the females in the harem of the sultans of the Ottoman Empire were usually nothing more than slaves who were presented to the sultan as "gifts." They had no rights as humans, and if a sultan was tired of some of them, they were killed without an afterthought. Read the fascinationg and very entertaining book "Harem: The World Behind The Veil" by Alev Croutier (1997).

In old Siam, powerful and wealthy families often presented the king with a lovely daughter in order to cement the bonds of that family or clan with the royal palace ... these girls were married to the king and considered queens or princesses and were given servants and quarters in the palace - that is why the King of Siam could have 50 or 75 royal wives and over 100 children. Ever see the musical "The King And I" ? In addition to these he also had a harem of concubines as well. I think the kings of Siam must have been very tired but very happy as well.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,371,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
And spread the word about the CEO of the company using profits to push his religious fundie nut agenda.

I don't care if the CEO of the company is himself a relgious fundie nut, but if I'm made aware that anything I spend there will be used to fund his religious fundie nut agenda, I most surely won't be going again. He made no attempts to even soften his position after the uproar, so he's obviously pretty serious about his positions.
Voicing his beliefs is his right, why should he soften his beliefs? What uproar is this you speak of? the rush of people going there to eat? or the people crying on facebook? if you don't like it don't eat at his business, that's your right, simple really.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,061,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Voicing his beliefs is his right, why should he soften his beliefs? What uproar is this you speak of? the rush of people going there to eat? or the people crying on facebook? if you don't like it don't eat at his business, that's your right, simple really.
It's his right to voice his beliefs, and it's other peoples right to bring his beliefs to light and sponsor a boycott, therefore making their beliefs heard. If you don't agree with the boycott, eat at Chick Fil A. He obviously cares more about his beliefs then turning off potential customers.,

Sorry if you don't get it, it's really not that complicated.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:25 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,592,641 times
Statistically speaking, over half the people you come across in a day-to-day basis will be against gay marriage. That's just a fact.

If one were to boycott every company run by someone who is against gay marriage, nobody would be able to shop. Most companies in this country are run by white men over the age of 40, a demographic overwhelmingly opposed to gay marriage.

Look, the people against rights for gay individuals are bigots. There's no arguing this. People will try, but that's really what it boils down to. That said, it doesn't mean that everybody should be subjected to constant updates about how they're sticking it to Dan Cathy by not buying a chicken sandwich. It's a retarded argument for a couple of reasons:

1) Chik-Fil-A is a franchise business. Meaning if you boycott CFA, you're actually just boycotting some local businessperson who's views you don't know. Chik-Fil-A is going to get the same signage and food fees for franchising as they would if you walked through the door. These businesses can't suddenly become KFC's - they're in multi-year deals

2) For all the whining those with the liberal condition do about jobs, they're actively trying to remove jobs from the workforce by attempting to close CFA's. End result, they not only do not accomplish their goal of harming Cathy, but they also take jobs off the market. And not just min. wage jobs. Jobs for accountants, plumbers, drivers, etc.

3) A lot of the people I see claiming to be boycotting CFA? Are people who live nowhere near one. I don't even know how many people in Seattle I've seen claim that they're boycotting CFA....OK, well the nearest one is up near the Canadian border on a university campus. It's a 3 hour drive just to get to it. I'm sure you were going there 3 times a week, right?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,970,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
With an exception that we dont know if it was ever even practiced in Western Civilization:

Droit du seigneur was a putative legal right allowing the lord of a medieval estate to take the virginity of his serfs' maiden daughters. Although the extent to which this right existed is a matter still in dispute, "historical documents suggest that something similar might have happened." In Britain its legal basis was under Common Law.

The origin of this popular belief is difficult to trace, though readers of Herodotus were made to understand that a possibly similar custom had obtained among the tribe of the "Adyrmachidae" in distant ancient Libya, where Herodotus thought it unique: "They are also the only tribe with whom the custom obtains of bringing all women about to become brides before the king, that he may choose such as are agreeable to him."[3]
Early mention of the right used as social criticism occurs in 1556 in the work of French lawyer and author Jean Papon (1505-1590).[4] It acquires widespread currency after Voltaire accepts the practice as historically authentic, in his Dictionnaire philosophique; soon it becomes used frequently, especially in satire.[5] Paolo Mantegazza in his 1935 book, The Sexual Relations of Mankind, stated his belief that while not a law, it was most likely a binding custom.[6]
Instances of the right have, however, been observed elsewhere, such as the Ottoman Empire. As late as the early twentieth century, Kurdish chieftains (khafirs) in Western Armenia reserved the right to bed Armenian brides on their wedding night.

Again, keep spreading myths, I am pretty sure they will survive longer than any actual knowledge
Ummm. What is your source?

Wikipedia?

I think many social historians would dispute the the source you quoted.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 PM

431 posts, read 475,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Considering that I drive only 1 day a week on average, and fill up my car maybe once a month. And only about 13% (if I remember correctly) of our gas comes from OPEC nations that have anti homosexual laws.
I really don't have much of a moral issue with it.

How many gas companies actively give money to anti SSM organizations?
no fiqures on that but ill bet there are some
so its okay to eat at chi fil a once a month by your premise .

funny how SOME folks ration their moral stance to suit there individual needs
if you want to boycott businesses that discriminate against gays DO IT dont pick and choose

just like those who want to boycott walmart cus they are anti union yet eat at macdonalds
muddled thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.