Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 06:05 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You can't have all of your money in gold. The experts say you have to diversify your portfolio. It makes sense to have some of your money tied up in guns, ammo and dried goods. Anything else is just foolishness, of course. (Stock in Apple and American dollars ain't going to be worth squat when the apocalypse comes.)
When the apocalypse comes, I don't want to survive. Only a tiny percent of our population could survive on their own for more than a month when their stockpile of food and water runs out. Particularly in the developed world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
When the apocalypse comes, I don't want to survive. Only a tiny percent of our population could survive on their own for more than a month when their stockpile of food and water runs out. Particularly in the developed world.
I think we'd do better than you think. I sure as hell have never grown a carrot or killed a rabbit, but I bet I could if my life depended on it. I think I'd probably be able to sustain myself for a good 8 or 9 years in the post apacolyptic world to die at a ripe old age of 45 or so.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:10 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
When Obama took office, the cry went out over the internet that "Obama is coming to get your guns!!" and the troglodytes already afraid of a black man in the White House responded by making a run on the gun shops. Driven to paroxysm's of fear by the flood of Obamaphobe e-mails which landed in their in-boxes, and were then picked up and spread by ultra-right wing websites and media talking heads, they flocked down to load up on guns and ammo before that scary black guy knocked on the door. Knowing no more about supply and demand than they do the political process, they unwittingly jacked up the price of the very weapons they coveted!
Well based on the article linked in the OP, the uptick started in 2006, and actually slowed down in 2009.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:13 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think we'd do better than you think. I sure as hell have never grown a carrot or killed a rabbit, but I bet I could if my life depended on it. I think I'd probably be able to sustain myself for a good 8 or 9 years in the post apacolyptic world to die at a ripe old age of 45 or so.

Why dont you then think others cannot sustain themselves without an apocalypse ?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Why dont you then think others cannot sustain themselves without an apocalypse ?
Quit trying to insinuate I think something I don't.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:17 AM

So do you beleive in time limits for entitlements?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
So do you beleive in time limits for entitlements?
This is going to blow your mind, water, but as a far, far left liberal -- I do NOT believe it's the government's job to support anyone. I don't think I have ever met a liberal who does. (I have some communists who do, but communists are *extremely* rare in America.) This is the War on Christmas all over again. The Right excels at pursuing fake boogey men.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:22 AM

So if we were to end welfare , food stamps and section 8 you would be cool with that?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:22 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
To paraphrase a guy named stillkit, "where are the critical thinking skills?" This was beyond doubt the most anti-gun prez ever elected. On record as supporting a ban on all semiautos in civilian hands. Biden, Holder, and Emanuel all had extremely strong track-records of gun-control advocacy. If you had ticket of Mike Bloomberg and Chris Gregoire, would you not anticipate that there might, just might be some anti-smoking measures on the way?

Shortly after the election, according to Newsweek, someone from the admin told anti-gun Rep McCarthy "that's not for now, that's for later." The transition team had a list of gun control objectives on their 'change.gov' web site for a few days that was scrubbed.

It was entirely reasonable then, for gun owners to expect that there might be gun-control enacted one way or another. Gun owners have learned from past experience that it when the political sky grows cloudy, sometimes it does rain.

I know it's a lot of fun to create these cartoon-like portrayals of the other side, but sometime you've gotta put down the kool-aid.
But, what has this administration actually DONE? Answer: Nothing.

It's much ado about nothing, particularly when you take the broader view that there has always been some kind of gun control and always will be. For instance, in the old west, when civilized people finally got control of those wide open cow-town's, what's the first thing they did? Gun control! Chicago has been banning the carrying of weapons for more than a century, so has New York, but nobody notices that or cares. Everybody in the gun group is afflicted with some sort of myopia which only allows them to see their guns!

Moreover, the Supreme Court ruled a couple of years ago that the right to keep and bear arms is, indeed, and individual right and until, or unless, they revisit that ruling (not likely), nobody CAN come and get your guns.

But, who cares about all that? It's better to go on believing the lie so that bearing ill-will against our first black President can seem more ideologically pure.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:23 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
...easy to recognize a lot of ignorance about gun ownership.

Some people just like guns.

Some people buy insurance to protect what is theirs. Some people buy guns to protect what insurance cannot. Like stated before,..."when seconds count, the police are just minutes away"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies