Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yeah, lets all go to Europe, where 165M people live below the poverty level.. thats much better than america where its about 45M
..:: Child Poverty in Europe ::..
Uh, which countries in Europe make up most of the people in "poverty?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 11:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
No, I have been actually to Europe and know people over there.
According to those standards, I guess I can now be an economic advisor to the Mexican government since I'm officially an expert having been there several times.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:28 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Yeah, lets all go to Europe, where 165M people live below the poverty level.. thats much better than america where its about 45M
Where do you get those number from? Which countries does your "Europe" include?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,588,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Our higer education is the best in the world. We dominate the best college rankings.

World's Best Universities; Top 400 Universities in the World | US News

It is our lower and secondary education that stinks.

It is important to note the OP's link is hardly authoritative. I posted a link to a study that reached a different conclusion.
Yes it is the best of the World at the top. No doubt. But ask a european who comes over here who does the same stuff what american students do in 4 years in 2 years.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Check the PPP of the various nations. I am tired of lies being used to justify social welfare programs.
I don't care about what you're tired of, but the social welfare programs aren't going anywhere. Most first world societies worth their salt have 'em. We'll always have them too.

Besides, that's not my point. To say that America is the place to be is subjective and mostly nonsensical. It depends on what one wants. When i lived in Western Europe, that's not what i heard. I can't remember more than a hand full of people that felt that coming here would be better. And they're far more informed about this country than we are about Europe, that's for sure.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Uh, which countries in Europe make up most of the people in "poverty?"
I posted a link that lists them..

In Russia and Ukraine, for example, one child in seven was malnourished, while in Albania, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, the figure rose to one in three

Do we get to exclude certain countries that disprove the OP's point? Do these people not count?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Hell, you didnt even need to read the link provided, did you?

Very first sentence

More than 165 million people in Europe live below the poverty line.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
According to those standards, I've been to mexico several times, I guess I can now be an economic advisor to the Mexican government since I'm officially an expert having been there several times.
No I actually have spent one semester at an European college (TU Darmstadt). There academical standards didn't even compare with an average american college.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Other things one would have to consider is that for instance social mobility might mean something different, depending on what you want in life. Europeans tend to be less interested in piling up wealth, so that motivation is much reduced.
Another aspect is that most stuff is simply cheaper in the US, thus it is easier for poor people in the US to buy for instance electronics. Oftentimes in the US a given product costs the same in Dollars as it costs in Europe in Euros. Software for instance costs more in Euros than it does in Dollars, which is absurd.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
He or she probably thinks Europe is a country as well. Just like Africa is a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies