Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 12:15 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
and have sacrificed their family life for their job.
Perhaps they shouldn't have done that. Perhaps, in the end, it turns out that family life is more important. For most people, employment should be a means to achieve other goals - not necessarily an end in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Perhaps they shouldn't have done that. Perhaps, in the end, it turns out that family life is more important. For most people, employment should be a means to achieve other goals - not necessarily an end in itself.
That's because of the social problem of the need to always keep up with the Joneses. That started with the Boomers' parents in the late 40's.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
They may have also been too busy providing for their ungrateful offspring.

Do you have a crystal ball?? Does the future tell you once this generation comes into its own and basically becomes responsible for America that they will rebuild America, make it better than it has ever been? Do you see them making it a better world or just making their own little world better?

I wonder how many offspring of BBs actually tell their parents and grandparents how they destroyed their future and suggest that they should roll over a die?
well-said. Would NEVER have been so disrespectful to my Dad, who fought for this country and you didnt dare speak back to.

Then again some are raised with values. This new generation of 18 yr olds cranking out kids and expecting to dump the kid on Grandma while going out partying- unreal.

America in 20 years, seems like it will look like Calcutta. None of these kids value work or respect their parents/elders. Common courtesy goes a long way.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:49 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Its not the boomers faults too, when they have been voting in these corrupt politicians now for at the least the last 20 to 40 years... Nice going
You seem to believe that we had a wide range of political choices as we cast our votes, but as I remember those past elections, it was not more than
a menu from which we could choose either column "A" or, column "B". Could it be that you have missed a greater point, and that would be that the American
political system is self-sustaining and will survive at all or any cost. One would be just a bit narrow minded to believe that whatever corruption lies within our
body of politicians could be blamed on the baby boomers and for someone to be so blind as to where fault rightfully belongs, is beyond my understanding.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
As a generation, I'm starting to believe that boomers may be mentally ill.

Everyday I hear another crazy story or experience one myself.

Today it was a 67 year old electrical union worker who has 40 years worth of pension and already collects SS. He's still on the job. Why? Does he need the money? He's just bored and hasn't much else to do. Meanwhile there are hundreds of young guys with young families waiting i the queue for their shot.

A few days ago it was a 62 year old who made decent money up until a few years ago. Now he's working for 30k a year and complains that he gets paid too little. Meanwhile, he's kind of slow and not that great with computers and I'm sure an early 20's kid could use that job and do much better.
What'd he do with all the money he made prior? He and his wife acquired a substantial mortgage in their 50's. They could afford it, so it wasn't so bad. What'd they do next? Instead of paying off the mortgage, they've put in over 200k into upgrading the house. Upgrading for who? For their corpses? I don't know. So now he ******* and moans about still having to work and being paid too little! Picture that.

I could go on and on about greedy, self entitled, and irrational boomers but I'd never end. Maybe life was a little too easy for them in the America of the 50's-late 90's.

And now, we younger generations are still going to have to pay for them for the next 20 years since they dominate the upper echelons of government. Good luck getting them to sacrifice some of their entitlements for the betterment of younger Americans.

Rant over, thanks for listening.

So, from two isolated examples you've generalized to millions of individuals.

Extrapolation like that can make one look foolish.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I agree that the OP was overgeneralizing, but brought us a valuable topic.

Perhaps a good side of this boomer crisis will be a hard look at the intergenerational relationships in our society. It is a really big deal, and scapegoating one another (boomers are scum, Gen. X are whiners, Millenials are reprobates) will not likely make things much better. We will need to figure out how to work together as a society, not just self-serving factions.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I agree that the OP was overgeneralizing, but brought us a valuable topic.

Perhaps a good side of this boomer crisis will be a hard look at the intergenerational relationships in our society. It is a really big deal, and scapegoating one another (boomers are scum, Gen. X are whiners, Millenials are reprobates) will not likely make things much better. We will need to figure out how to work together as a society, not just self-serving factions.
Very well said.

Sadly, I was unable to rep you.

I wish we could have a serious conversation about these issues without throwing around blame and talking about how terrible certain generations are.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:07 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
My biggest gripe with the boomers is how uninformed they were for the last 50+ years voting into office ALL the clowns from BOTH sides of the political aisle. This is the single biggest detriment to the younger generations. Trying to repair all the mistakes, problems and corruption caused by the last 50+ years of boomer voting. From Bush senior to Reagan, to Carter, to Clinton, etc. They have all been destroying this country under the BOOMER'S WATCH! And the corporations which have been run and guided by boomer executives have also been destroying this country and our economy. So while you can't blame boomers for their own personal prosperity you can definitely blame them for who they have voted into office. They have failed miserably at running this country and keeping it free and prosperous. But let's see how the techno obsessed younger people do running this country. Most of my generation has half the work ethic and half the class of our parents and grandparents. We think everything should be handed to us and our materialism rivals that of the entire boomer generation.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:18 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
You seem to believe that we had a wide range of political choices as we cast our votes, but as I remember those past elections, it was not more than
a menu from which we could choose either column "A" or, column "B". Could it be that you have missed a greater point, and that would be that the American
political system is self-sustaining and will survive at all or any cost. One would be just a bit narrow minded to believe that whatever corruption lies within our
body of politicians could be blamed on the baby boomers and for someone to be so blind as to where fault rightfully belongs, is beyond my understanding.
You are making up excuses while you've had the power in demographics and fiscally since the late 1970s and early 1980s like you have NO control over it!! You try blaming younger generations calling them lazy and no good morally all while your generation has had the power the longest by far and will for a while longer just due to influence and numbers.. Unreal I wish I was born into a guarenteed job and really low healthcare costs and pensions when I retire

Old 01-02-2012, 02:24 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
My biggest gripe with the boomers is how uninformed they were for the last 50+ years voting into office ALL the clowns from BOTH sides of the political aisle. This is the single biggest detriment to the younger generations.
So tell me how the youth voting in Obam has worked out! The political system we have is not the boomers fault. The political elite have been in power since Jackson, and they hated him!!! We've been warned by many Presidents who hinted at the elites that control our system of government and currency.

The biggest whine I have about the boomers is they gave us the hippies, who went from protesting the war, rightly (make babies not war) to becoming the uber liberal whako politicians of today. These are the people who believe winning isn't important and sparing the rod until your kids are more confused than their parents are. Rainbows, peace and flower power, what a load of garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies