Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 05:02 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,364,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
\ #1we don't know what causes heterosexuality either.

\
#2when straight people say they've always been straight it's never questioned.
#1 Sure we do, survival, thats easy without us you wouldn't be here

#2 Why would it be? Kinda follows the same answer as above.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:23 PM

33,588 posts, read 18,199,670 times
Actually it is a choice to a degree. The fight starts in the mind , a spirit if you will, thoughts of confusion. Then the lust spirit entwined with the spirit of confusion.. ultimately one goes with the spirit or against it. If it is accepted , homosexuality by the person , the gay community is there to make it stick with total support and acceptance.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,345,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
well i'm gay and it certainly was NOT CHOSEN. we don't know what causes heterosexuality either.

but if you want to know if being gay is a CHOICE or not.. you can ASK US.. the actual experiences of BEING US.

it's not a scientific question..

when straight people say they've always been straight it's never questioned.
But you are one person out of many. Possibly there are some out there who said they made the choice.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
why do people who believe being gay is a choice, not just simply go to the source and ask gay people?

Because their imaginary friend allegedly spoke two innocuous lines about how men sleeping with men are bad so to them there's no need to ask the actual person or acknowledge that homosexuality occurs naturally throughout the animal kingdom. In other words, facts get in the way of beliefs and they don't want that.
Why do you believe there is an "imaginary friend?"

Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,874,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Well, I don't know much about bisexuals but there probably is no one right answer about whether it's "choice," or "attraction," or whatever. It probably varies from person to person.
It's not a choice, my attraction is fixed (I was born this way.) I 'lean straight' in that I am more attracted to women maybe 75/25 female/male. I'm mostly attracted to androgynous people though. I have no choice in who I fall for, though I suppose I could choose not to act on it, but that wouldn't make me straight.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM

33,588 posts, read 18,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
But you didn't make a choice, and we've tried to explain that to you. You only had one option - to like women. You found the Angels attractive, because you were attracted to women. Your brain has always been wired to like women.
The mind is a battleground sometimes. It happens to all of us.. should we cheat on our spouse, should I have another drink when I got to drive, well, guess what.. it happens in the mind.. also we are lead astray by many thoughts and one can become what they believe to be true.

One can defeat every thought if the mind is trained to be under control.. it is called self control.. one can defeat every thought and put it into submission if they have the knowledge to do just that.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:17 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,473,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Actually it is a choice to a degree. The fight starts in the mind , a spirit if you will, thoughts of confusion. Then the lust spirit entwined with the spirit of confusion.. ultimately one goes with the spirit or against it. If it is accepted , homosexuality by the person , the gay community is there to make it stick with total support and acceptance.
I find it funny you know more about what it's like to be gay than gay people themselves. Can you explain how that is? And if you're not even gay yourself, how do you feel so compelled to post in practically every gay-related CD thread?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,473,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The mind is a battleground sometimes. It happens to all of us.. should we cheat on our spouse, should I have another drink when I got to drive, well, guess what.. it happens in the mind.. also we are lead astray by many thoughts and one can become what they believe to be true.

One can defeat every thought if the mind is trained to be under control.. it is called self control.. one can defeat every thought and put it into submission if they have the knowledge to do just that.
Drinking is an act. Cheating is an act. An act can be controlled.

Being gay is not an act. It's an orientation. A celibate person who is attracted to the same sex is still gay.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
It's not a choice, my attraction is fixed (I was born this way.) I 'lean straight' in that I am more attracted to women maybe 75/25 female/male. I'm mostly attracted to androgynous people though. I have no choice in who I fall for, though I suppose I could choose not to act on it, but that wouldn't make me straight.
But how do you know you were born that way? Is there a way to test for that?

Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,789,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How do you know if I made a choice? You didn't know me when I was 10 or 15 years old. Who is the "we" you are referring to? Do you speak for other CD members? Again, it is not really known what causes homosexuality. There are many theories, but nothing 100% verified.
I know you did not make a choice based on your statements, as they contained to 2nd option. For you to have had the choice, you would have also had to find men attractive. And yet, you stated you have NEVER found men attractive. Therefore, you've never had 2 or more options, which are required for choice to enter the equation.

You never made a voluntary conscious decision to like women over men. It just happened. You may not have realized it until a certain age, but it's always been ingrained.

Most medical organizations, while not knowing the exact cause, agree it's primarily biological and no choice enters the equation. Both the APA and Royal College of Psychiatry state this for example.

Nothing is 100% verified. We can't even prove Gravity or 100% verify how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies