Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

Everytime I hear this word, I think of Battlestar

All the FRAKS of Battlestar Galactica - Miniseries + Season 1 - YouTube

Anyway, I think the evidence is far from clear on what has caused what. i don't think earthquakes are completely out of the question, but its really hard to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 08:02 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Talk about a Nice Try. That is an irrelevant analogy.
Sorry, your mini earthquake BS was just that. Inducing small quakes isn't going to reduce larger quakes.

Quote:
In 1962, the military started pumping chemical waste into a disposal well drilled two miles underground. The injection of fluids then triggered an astounding 1,500 earthquakes between 1962 and 1967.

After the military stopped injecting waste due to protests, three earthquakes greater than 5 on the Richter scale rocked Denver area, resulting in more than $8-million worth of property damage. Scientists later blamed the earthquakes on fluid injection that unbalanced an existing fault or fracture.
And, we have known this for a long time:

Quote:
The Arkansas Geological Survey later discovered that whenever companies increased the volume of fracking waste water being injected at high pressures into the ground near a fault line, the severity and intensity of earthquakes dramatically increased. One hit a magnitude of 4.7.
Fracking and quaking: They're linked | Energy Bulletin

Finally, you might wants investigate the focus depth of these quakes, the well depth and the focus depth of unrelated quakes. I suspect you'll find the foundation analogy is appropriate. Breaking up the Rick just a ways below our feet doesn't seem wise. Turning the rock back into smaller pieces is not going to be good long term.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:13 PM

From your cite, " the nature of Ohio’s subterranean faults is just not known." But your other cite indicates focus depths of 5 miles.

You have the depth of the injection well and the focus depth of the associated quakes?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Funny part is the oil and gas industry know fracking caused quakes for at least 50 years. This con job has been brewing for a while.

Down about half way into the comments:

Quote:
Back in the 60's, a study was presented in the Journal of Geophysical Research (Volume 86, Issue B2, p. 903-920) by Hsieh & Bredehoeft that made an extremely close correlation between injection of fluids into bedrock and subsequent earthquakes. The role of fluid dynamics in fault movement has been studied many times, but this study was the first to make a direct link.

Their conclusions are limited, and their claim for effects is very close to the injection well bore site. Nevertheless, it's a fascinating study. But anyone who claims that you can shoot fluids down a hole and not have any effect on the surrounding rock is, at the very least, a fool, a liar, or being paid a lot of money to be a fool or a liar.
USGS Report: Link Between Fracking and Oklahoma Earthquakes | Crooks and Liars

Old 01-14-2012, 08:44 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times
Quote:
I don't know if you call an earthquake that was "felt" in Youngstown a quake "in" Youngstown, but Eastern Ohio was never quiet.
That's just it. I don't consider Eastern Ohio to be "in" Youngstown. 9 of the 11 earthquakes last year, that we're discussing in this thread, were within the city limits of Youngstown, on the NW side. The other two were just west of the city, in the adjacent suburb.
The Ohio Seismic Network: Earthquake Information

In summary, there were 11 earthquakes last year, in an area that has never been the center of an earthquake before, (in recorded history) all clustered around--and no more than 5 miles away from--the injection well in question. 2+2=4, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
That's just it. I don't consider Eastern Ohio to be "in" Youngstown. 9 of the 11 earthquakes last year, that we're discussing in this thread, were within the city limits of Youngstown, on the NW side. The other two were just west of the city, in the adjacent suburb.
The Ohio Seismic Network: Earthquake Information

In summary, there were 11 earthquakes last year, in an area that has never been the center of an earthquake before, (in recorded history) all clustered around--and no more than 5 miles away from--the injection well in question. 2+2=4, as far as I'm concerned.
Are you also figuring magnetic polar shift into that equation? There was a major shift last year. When it comes to earthquakes, shift happens.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:09 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It is now official that fracking is to blame for the eleven earthquakes in Ohio. This will be a growing problem as fracking is done all over the country in an attempt to be energy independent.

I think alternative renewable energy should be our first choice. Other countries are way ahead of us in this area.

State Representative Robert Hagan has . . . called for a statewide moratorium on injection drilling until 2014. The Youngstown City Council voted Wednesday to support his proposal.

'I'm tired of these discussions happening in secret,' Mr Hagan said.

'People have a right to know what's going on, what's being done.'
[LEFT]
Fracking cited as the official cause of Ohio's 11 earthquakes last year | Mail Online

[/LEFT]
Wow. You have anything to cite besides your bottom and a less credible source the mail?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think alternative renewable energy should be our first choice.
No, our first choice should be conservation.

Our second choice should also be conservation.

Renewables are a distant third.

Figuring out how to use less is a "source" that is immediately available.

The only way to do that is to raise the price. All other methods have failed. When the price
rose in the 1970's into the 80's consumption declined. When the price rose in 2008 - same thing.

All fuels should have a small increase in tax every month - month-after-month - until US net
imports go to zero. I don't care how hard it is for people to afford to fill up their vehicles and
to commute to work. If you can't afford it, move closer to work and drive a smaller vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Sorry, your mini earthquake BS was just that. Inducing small quakes isn't going to reduce larger quakes.
You don't know and I don't know. I never claimed that I do know, but you keep claiming that you do.
Asserting that something is true as hard as you can doesn't make it true.

You are making things up. You are also making baseless accusations.
You do not know one way or another if "inducing small quakes isn't going to reduce larger quakes.."
That is a made-up claim and you do not know.
I hope you whine and complain about the price of gasoline.
I hope it makes you miserable to pay the evil oil companies for their product.

I also don't care if fracking causes earthquakes or not.

Last edited by mortimer; 01-15-2012 at 06:47 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
No, our first choice should be conservation.

Our second choice should also be conservation.

Renewables are a distant third.

Figuring out how to use less is a "source" that is immediately available.

The only way to do that is to raise the price. All other methods have failed. When the price
rose in the 1970's into the 80's consumption declined. When the price rose in 2008 - same thing.

All fuels should have a small increase in tax every month - month-after-month - until US net
imports go to zero. I don't care how hard it is for people to afford to fill up their vehicles and
to commute to work. If you can't afford it, move closer to work and drive a smaller vehicle.

You don't know and I don't know. I never claimed that I do know, but you keep claiming that you do.
Asserting that something is true as hard as you can doesn't make it true.

You are making things up. You are also making baseless accusations.
You do not know one way or another if "inducing small quakes isn't going to reduce larger quakes.."
That is a made-up claim and you do not know.
I hope you whine and complain about the price of gasoline.
I hope it makes you miserable to pay the evil oil companies for their product.

I also don't care if fracking causes earthquakes or not.
Your, probably industry's, small quakes are good BS, is BS. Breaking up a horizontal vein of coal or shale a thousand feet below our feet is not going to relieve stresses in rock five or more miles below the surface. Busting up your cinder block foundation will have the same impact on naturally occurring quakes. ZERO.

One difference between these injection/fracking quakes and the typical quake is the focus depth. This mini quakes are good for us is industry BS, invented to cover the greater damage they know they're creating.

Creating new man made fault lines in the rock below our Freetown isn't too wise. Would you advise them to frack beneath the tall buildings in Cleveland? Pittsburgh? How about Manhattan? Explain why.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:26 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
You are still making things up. It's also not necessary to quote my entire post
directly beneath the post you are responding to. Can't you even pick the right button?
Quote:
Would you advise them to frack beneath the tall buildings in Cleveland? Pittsburgh? How about Manhattan?
Irrelevant. You are grasping at straws. I can't imagine why someone would even bring this up.
Quote:
Explain why.
Explain why? What for? You are the one who brought it up.

I said I didn't know. Why do you keep harping? You don't know either, but you speak with authority as if you do.

Explain why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies