Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:16 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, being in California, you know best about Texas.

However, here in Texas, we are well aware that earthquakes have sharply risen, many around our nuclear plant in Comanche.

Here is an interesting link:

Earthquakes

Keep looking at the link. You will be amazed at the number of earthquakes, albeit small, that happen in the great State of Texas.

Small, almost imperceptible earthquakes happen just about everywhere, all the time, and always have. The earth's crust is not static; it moves and shifts regularly.

The only difference today is that we now have technologies capable of measuring the slightest shift, so it may appear that we're having more. Or, we may just be experiencing the most recent of regular upticks in the number of small quakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 08:16 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Foils on sale at Vons.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
They don't frack in Texas. They have ideal soil for drilling.

Not so. Fracking is being done in several places.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
I think we need to face up to the fact that Americans are gluttonous pigs who consume obscene and unnecessary amounts of energy.
I guess you don't use any?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There was more earthquakes in Ohio in 2006 than 2010. and only 3 more in 2011 than 2006.

What will we attribute those other earthquakes on?

Since we're supposed to be in the midst of a so-called "obesity epidemic," maybe it's all those lard azzes stomping around which is causing the earth to shift.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I agree. It's crazy, the sun keeps bombarding our planet with obscene amounts of energy day after day. But instead of focusing on that and other green energy, we keep digging and drilling in the dirt
I have been listening to a Green Weenie talking on FreeSpeechTV the past half hour and you sound so much like him. I am saying that if you aren't very liberal you aren't allowed to be on FreeSpeechTV. Are you very liberal?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:34 PM

504 posts, read 1,271,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I guess you don't use any?
I ride a bicycle or walk. I wear a sweater during winter. I almost never eat beef and usually not other meats.

Not that this is relevant, even if I were a hypocrite that wouldn't make my point wrong.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,593,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
On this topic most people are not very knowledgeable and I certainly don't profess to be. But a very familiar political stench is in the air.

I guess as the "global warming" hoax fades from headlines, a new replacement villain is needed in the quest to insure that the raw evil of modern energy consumption remains self-evident.
This new villain is about to mess up drinking water in the county I live. Ground waters provides drinking water for 99.99% of county' residents but 70 wells in the county can be used to dump the toxic liquid waste from fracking. There are some serious offers. A few well owners will cash in and move on, the rest of us will "enjoy" proprietary chemicals in our water. Evil of modern energy consumption will be "unleashed" thousands miles away from my dirty water well. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

BTW, It's January 07, 2012, it feels like it's April in Ohio, local warming hoax doesn't fade away, wettest on records 2011 assures us that Rush & Co figured that global warming conspiracy out.

Last edited by RememberMee; 01-07-2012 at 09:15 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
BTW, It's January 07, 2012, it feels like it's April in Ohio, local warming hoax doesn't fade away, wettest on records 2011 assures us that Rush & Co figured that global warming conspiracy out.
Heat waves don't prove global warming any more than a blizzard disproves it.
It reminds me of Al "Pay attention to me" Gore when he was Vice President running
around during a July heat wave - what more proof do you need?!?!?!?

Global warming is measured by an average of all the averages of every place
at every time during the course of a year and comparing it to previous years.

I'm sure there were heat waves while there were 2 kilometers of ice on Manhatten island.

I'm sure there were blizzards during the Medieval Warm Period.

People that act like "this time, things are different" drive me nuts.

I delivered newspapers during the 1977 and 1978 blizzards when predictions were that we were entering another ice age.
I remember January and February days that were balmy and warm.

Also, the biggest earthquake I ever felt was in Ohio in about 1980.
Ohio has always had earthquakes.
It's one of the most earthquake-prone states outside of the states on the Pacific coast.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,593,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Heat waves don't prove global warming any more than a blizzard disproves it.
It reminds me of Al "Pay attention to me" Gore when he was Vice President running
around during a July heat wave - what more proof do you need?!?!?!?

Global warming is measured by an average of all the averages of every place
at every time during the course of a year and comparing it to previous years.

I'm sure there were heat waves while there were 2 kilometers of ice on Manhatten island.

I'm sure there were blizzards during the Medieval Warm Period.

People that act like "this time, things are different" drive me nuts.

I delivered newspapers during the 1977 and 1978 blizzards when predictions were that we were entering another ice age.
I remember January and February days that were balmy and warm.

Also, the biggest earthquake I ever felt was in Ohio in about 1980.
Ohio has always had earthquakes.
It's one of the most earthquake-prone states outside of the states on the Pacific coast.
Using your superb logic there are no forest arsons, since there were forest fires 100 millions years before the first monkey climbing a tree, right? I'm old enough to know that winters are not what they used to be, and unfortunately I have too many data points to rule the "heat waves" out.

I find insistence of the right leaning folks that 7 billions of humans don't affect climate amusing. Humans affected everything else on the face of Earth, including the face of Earth itself.

400 millions years ago there was NO oil, coal, gas but there was plenty of heat and humidity we couldn't stand. Gradually over million of years plants captured atmospheric carbon as oil, coal etc., climate has changes dramatically because of that. In 200 years humans would burn all the coal, oil, gas but according to your ideological creed that could change nothing in the fine tuned climate machinery. Using your superior logic, it's OK to cut off the branch on which we sit since one of these days wind may break the tree.

Pay attention, it took nature tens of millions of years to accumulate oil and gas we would burn in just 500 years (total) max. We just don't know what we mess with. Slow changes and abrupt changes in atmospheric composition don't affect climate in the same way. Global warming is especially intense around polar caps, glaciers are in full retreat, nope global warming is not measured by averages, we can measure it with our (ideologically unbiased) eyes.

Icy indicators of global warming. [Evidence of melting glaciers]

http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/...sti_id=6918099

Hundreds of glaciers are know to have retreated this century, prompting scientists to scour historical records for evidence of a global trend. Mountain glaciers and small ice caps are melting at an unusually fast rate. Although many weather factors influence the dynamics of a glacier, glaciologists note that rising temperatures has consistently preceded the shrinking of mountain glaciers, and there has been a general trend of warming in this century. The impact of full scale glacial retreat would have many effects: natural climatic records from glacial cores disappear; the natural trapping and release of water from glaciers; rise in sea leavels.

Last edited by RememberMee; 01-08-2012 at 12:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies