Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,611,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'd feel less sympathy for him if he got fired for being shiftless than if he got laid off due to downsizing or something else out of his control.

@Dreamofmonterey yeah. I had an appendectomy last year and if it wasn't for insurance I'm pretty sure I would have been on the hook for $12,000.
Imagine if they declined ur coverage and put a 12k lien on your house...the health ins system is unsustainable in this country...NO ONE can afford to get sick even if they have ins. And claims are denied in record nos.

Not sure what the answer is, but for profit healthcare doesnt work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The 44-year-old mother of five grown children. Well, apparently she didn't feel that poor because she felt she could afford to have five children.
Wow. So only the wealthy should have children? I'm a widow who was the single mother. When I had my children I didn't plan on being a widow. But then I didn't plan on Viet Nam either. Was it truly difficult raising my children alone? Yes. Would I wish I hadn't had them? Heck NO! They are the light of my life and have grown up to be wonderful, kind, college educated, successful adults with wonderful families of their own. Just because a person isn't rich or is a single parent doesn't mean that they can't raise wonderful people.

Take a look at some of the spoiled rich kids constantly in the news being arrested, in rehab, trashing their lives. Well,none of that ever happened to my kids. So I guess being rich doesn't grant a person with the right or ability to be a good parent.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,611,043 times
Thats bcs the far right prefers to direct their vitriol at single middle class Moms. Sad how divided everyone is over even this issue.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Wow. So only the wealthy should have children? I'm a widow who was the single mother. When I had my children I didn't plan on being a widow. But then I didn't plan on Viet Nam either. Was it truly difficult raising my children alone? Yes. Would I wish I hadn't had them? Heck NO! They are the light of my life and have grown up to be wonderful, kind, college educated, successful adults with wonderful families of their own. Just because a person isn't rich or is a single parent doesn't mean that they can't raise wonderful people.

Take a look at some of the spoiled rich kids constantly in the news being arrested, in rehab, trashing their lives. Well,none of that ever happened to my kids. So I guess being rich doesn't grant a person with the right or ability to be a good parent.
You do realize that there are more poor neglected kids that have been arrested and trashed their lives than rich kids, right? Just pointing it out in case you overlooked this fact.

I think the poster was just pointing out that five kids for the poor often leads to a situation where the parents are taking in welfare. There's nothing wrong with poor folks having children. But do so without feeding off of the government.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,838,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The 44-year-old mother of five grown children. Well, apparently she didn't feel that poor because she felt she could afford to have five children.
Someone may have already said it but for one thing the article stated that they have 5 grown children between them. Some are his and some are hers, they are a blended family. Also it says that they were middle class a few years ago so they more than likely weren't poor when they were raising their children .

Anyway, I don't see what the issue is with the article. I see a lot of similar stories and pieces shown on local news. I also live in the city of Atlanta and see the income gap myself. I am lucky though that both my husband and I have great paying jobs so we are not affected by it but you can see it all over the city and many people are suffering.

I also don't see why they mentioned the Occupy movement though. The whole Occupy thing was not that big here in Atlanta. I do know they got kicked out of the park they were at downtown and went to some shelter where people got TB. I don't think they are much of a movement since they aren't very organized and I don't see what it has to do with this story either.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,068,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Your replies have nothing to do with my posts, they make no sense.

When a corporation is given corporate welfare (taxpayer money) for poor business decisions it is called a bailout, and is accepted...... when a citizen needs assistance it is called welfare. It's ok for the gubment to bail out the 1% but lord forbid they help the citizens of this nation. There is something terribly wrong with that logic and I do not and will not buy into it.
Just because you don't like my answers doesn't mean I'm wrong.

NOBODY should ever get help from the government!

Thats what you lefties don't understand.

Help those that YOU want to. I'll help those who I want to help. Stand on your own, without the government propping you up.....that goes for individuals as well as businesses.

The answer from the left is always more government.

Stand with me and the Tea Party.....smaller government!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
His job should provide health insurance for his family. Or Americans should have national health insurance. That's the source of their primary problems.

No one should be forced to beg for tips in order to go see a doctor.

Or we could just have national health insurance like every other country. No one should work and not be able to feed themselves or see a doctor if sick.

The contempt for two hard working human beings in this thread is just very sad.
A TRILLION DOLLAR 2,000+ page bill by big government is not the answer.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Thats bcs the far right prefers to direct their vitriol at single middle class Moms. Sad how divided everyone is over even this issue.
YOU help them.

I'LL assist the poor in my community.

You lefties with the individual sob stories are sickening.

Everyone knows that people are hurting.

Our government was not established to prevent suffering, it was established to give equal rights to individuals.

Leftist sob story policies are the main cause of the pain in America today.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Imagine if they declined ur coverage and put a 12k lien on your house...the health ins system is unsustainable in this country...NO ONE can afford to get sick even if they have ins. And claims are denied in record nos.

Not sure what the answer is, but for profit healthcare doesnt work.
The government is the single biggest denier of payment in America.

But the left want more.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:25 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,483,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
Ugh! Try reading the story. This couple has kids who are grown BUT that isnt the issue. These people were doing okay and able to survive and live comfortably, even donating to charity, before a health issue sent the couple into debt which started a downward spiral for them. The woman's heart problems prevent her from working the hours required for her job and the man works as a line cook for 11/hr making $44 steaks.

The article only points out how many people are a life crisis away from poverty, which is true. It's a testament to the sad state of affairs for many americans who have saved and done the right thing for years but now are faced with issues they never imagined. Before you cast judgment try a little empathy for a change. Because despite all your grandstanding on the internet it could happen to you

The man is in his 40's and works for $11 an hr. Its not my fault he never learned a real trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies