Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,556 times

Advertisements

"Is gay rights the biggest social issue in our country since abolition of slavery?"

Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 01:18 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No, I think abortion is much more polarizing.

After gay marriage is legalized nationwide (it will be eventually, though I don't see it happening for many years), people will move on and forget about it - just like after interracial marriage was legalized nationwide. People will accept gays and gay relationships, just as they have by and large accepted black people as equals and accepted interracial relationships.

OTOH, the percent of people who oppose abortion rights has not really changed over the past few decades. In fact, recent trends show the percent going up.

I also think illegal immigration may be a bit more polarizing.

It's absolutely laughable to suggest that gay marriage is the most polarizing issue of the past 150 years. I don't see it as being an issue that "dominates our politics" at all.
Abortion SHOULD be much more polarizing since we are talking about what some consider to be "MURDER" of a human being rather than a choice. That alone would make the believers more convinced in their beliefs.
Even though I am a gay man, I shudder to compare the abolition of slavery to what we suffer as gay Americans today. There is NOT any valid comparison. Illegal immigration can be a little regional, don't you think? When I lived in so calif, it was always a divisive issue because they were everywhere. when I would visit the burbs of Dallas, Tex back in the 90s, there was nary a wetbak in sight. Of course, even that has changed over the years.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:58 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
It is most certainly a DIVISIVE issue, but it is not the definitive issue of our times. While they should be able to get married, they make up a small percentage of the population and we have other things to worry about.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:36 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,668 times
I hear more about slavery and racism everyday than abortion. Abortion can be a "quiet" act if the Mom chooses to not talk about it. White people are constantly, on an everyday basis being accused of being racist.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:44 PM

30 posts, read 45,190 times
Nope and to think so is an insult to blacks everywhere.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is the defining social issue of our time. Liberals and conservatives are becoming ever-more polarized and hateful towards each other on this issue. Take gay rights out of the picture and many people on both sides would switch parties based on their other convictions. There are grassroots conservative groups that want to secede from the Union if gay marriage were to be legalized, and liberal groups that want to do the same if a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage were to ever be passed. Religion, whether or not believed in, was largely looked upon as a positive thing in the past but today religious people are becoming increasingly marginalized because of opposition to homosexuality. Like it or not, this is the issue that dominates our politics and is likely to get much uglier before it gets better.
Short answer no. Frankly I don't think many people care outside of the media elite.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
It should not be an issue. A country like The USA should not have an issue with that! its bizarre that this subject is such an ISSUE. WTF..lets worry about real issues, things that should matter. Not whether or not to people who love each other should get married or not. That should all be considered basic human rights.
Is that really what matters in this country? To fight against human rights?

Old 01-22-2012, 04:46 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
Gay rights are pretty much a low priority among most voters.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissfully View Post
Nope and to think so is an insult to blacks everywhere.
You speak for all blacks? Everywhere? What are your qualifications to do this?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,335 times
Equal rights for gays is inevitable, no matter how much people want to sit in front of their black and white TV watching Ricky and Lucy and longing for the "good old days"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies