Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You can laugh, but, essentially, that's how it works in the rest of the civilized world. All of them are wrong, and only America gets it right... right. Not.

H
----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't like the health care here, you are totally free to go to any other country you want (There are more MRI machines within a 15 mile radius of me than there is in ALL of Canada).
Every wonder why the Saudi princes fly in to go stay in the Phillips House at MA General? They want the best health care there is.
As taught to me byseveral of my good friends that grew up in Germany, it is socialized medicine there, and he said there are two types of health care there; the free (socialized) medicine, and then the good health care, which means you better have money.

Nothing good is for free.

Quote:"but, essentially, that's how it works in the rest of the civilized world."

I see, so therefore that makes it the best. I am not going to be a lemming.
Lots of people buy Toyota Camry's (a good car), but since they do, according to your logic, it makes them the best. NOT. When it comes with dealing with your own life, nothing is more important than the best care. (I may be biased, since most of my family is MD PhD's, and all of us are in the medical community). But we can provide you substandard care for free, if you like, just sign this disclaimer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
I would say it points out a gap in Canadian healthcare. My private insurance, mostly paid by my employer who receives tax benefits for providing insurance to their employees, covers me anywhere in the world. Most working Americans are in the same boat I am.

There are several veterens where I work who could get "free" healthcare from the VA. Every single one of them pays the 200+ bucks a month for private insurance.

Ya get what ya pay for.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Believe me, I know that medical care is what I would consider "over priced".

But the point remains, she got the care even without the ability to pay.

The problem in the United States is just that, we have mandated care, with no way to pay for it.

Thank you Ronald Reagan

I've explained it many times.

Healthcare was mandated, with no way to pay for it. So if a hospital takes any federal money, they have to care for everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

So how is a private sector facility supposed to make up for such a loss? Well, you charge those with insurance more, or give them procedures that aren't needed.

<snip>...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason why more and more hospitals are becoming for-profit (i.e. no federal/taxpayer money), is so that don't have to be forced into that situation.

A famous hospital near me went private, and if a patient came into the ER without insurance, and they were deemed stable, the request would be made "which hospital would you like the ambulance to take you to?"

Quote:"The problem in the United States is just that, we have mandated care, with no way to pay for it. Thank you Ronald Reagan "

Only for emergency situations, where the patient is unable to be transported (from a for-profit hospital to a NFP hospital)

"President Ronald Reagan signed into law the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act which requires health care providers to give emergency care to everyone in need regardless of ability to pay."

Once your are stabilized... out the door from FP hospitals (this is from the spouse that has worked in many ER's for 30 years, and is the CNO of a chain of large FP hospitals).

Hospitals are there to save your life. They are not charity.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

The reason why more and more hospitals are becoming for-profit (i.e. no federal/taxpayer money), is so that don't have to be forced into that situation.

A famous hospital near me went private, and if a patient came into the ER without insurance, and they were deemed stable, the request would be made "which hospital would you like the ambulance to take you to?"

Quote:"The problem in the United States is just that, we have mandated care, with no way to pay for it. Thank you Ronald Reagan "

Only for emergency situations, where the patient is unable to be transported (from a for-profit hospital to a NFP hospital)

"President Ronald Reagan signed into law the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act which requires health care providers to give emergency care to everyone in need regardless of ability to pay."

Once your are stabilized... out the door from FP hospitals (this is from the spouse that has worked in many ER's for 30 years, and is the CNO of a chain of large FP hospitals).

Hospitals are there to save your life. They are not charity.
Anyone who walks into an ER, is taken care of, everyone. Even if you have the flu. Now, they may tell you to go home and take an aspirin, or give you a prescription for something, but thats still care.

Everyone in the United States, regardless of their ability to pay, gets taken care of , everyone.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
She did, but her insurance company declined the claim because they say the event she entered didn't meet their criteria for a sanctioned event whatever that means. Still, the (international) incident raises a salient point. As has been said, most countries and that includes First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H
And you know this how?

Quote:
Believe me, I know that medical care is what I would consider "over priced".

But the point remains, she got the care even without the ability to pay.

The problem in the United States is just that, we have mandated care, with no way to pay for it.

Thank you Ronald Reagan

I've explained it many times.

Healthcare was mandated, with no way to pay for it. So if a hospital takes any federal money, they have to care for everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

So how is a private sector facility supposed to make up for such a loss? Well, you charge those with insurance more, or give them procedures that aren't needed.

Then you make up the difference. The problem is that then insurers have to raise their rates, causing more people to drop off the insurance role. Then you have more people getting free care without paying. So then the hospitals have to charge more, and more, and more money. They give more, and more, and more needless procedures.

I don't like Obamacare, but it should at least slow that trend a little.
Health care in the US is not mandated. Not yet. Sarah Burke's situation probably falls under The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act of 1986.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no requirement that any and all care should be covered, even if a hospital takes federal funds (which most do).

Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
She did, but her insurance company declined the claim because they say the event she entered didn't meet their criteria for a sanctioned event whatever that means. Still, the (international) incident raises a salient point. As has been said, most countries and that includes First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just because someone from another country does not have insurance that will cover them, it does NOT mean that we American taxpayers (and insurance payers) should be stuck with the bill.

It doesn't matter if the bill was $1 or $1M, it is not up to US citizens to bear the cost.

Quote:"Especially when they lose the patient."

I see. So the expense of all the medical procedures, doctors, facilities, equipment, is all entirely based on the outcome of the patient. I pray you don't work in the for-profit business world.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Anyone who walks into an ER, is taken care of, everyone. Even if you have the flu. Now, they may tell you to go home and take an aspirin, or give you a prescription for something, but thats still care.

Everyone in the United States, regardless of their ability to pay, gets taken care of , everyone.
Oh, not they don't. Read the link above.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,557 times
Quote:
I pray you don't work in the for-profit business world.
That really is the bottom line, isn't it? When medical care in this country became 100% for profit, the costs skyrocketed and millions became uninsurable. What price do you place on a human life?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, not they don't. Read the link above.
The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is a U.S. Act of Congress passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay.

As I stated previously, you walk into an ER, you get seen, period.

That costs money, money that the hospital isn't compensated for. In a country when people can't afford healthcare premiums, they use the ER as their regular doctor.

Whats a 300,000 dollar collection bill for someone making 40,000 a year? Its ignored, thats what it is.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:

You you let us all know your number of years of experience in the ER, and as a high-level hospital administrator, to make the definitive statement 'everyone'.
Being told that you have the flu and go take an aspirin is different that if you have a non-life-threatening compound fracture (and no insurance), at a FP hospital. Out you go (to a NFP hospital).

You are correct, everyone ultimately gets taken care of, but FP hospitals don't have to deal (most of the time) with those that leech off the system.

Quote:"Everyone in the United States, regardless of their ability to pay, gets taken care of , everyone"

And thus, the downfall of the healthcare system. Those of us who have healthcare insurance subsidize those who do not. No wonder my premiums are so high. I used to be amazed at how extended families would come in (all using one of their relatives' insurance cards in the ER. Total, absolute insurance fraud).

NO ONE is owed anything in this country, except what is stated by the Constitution and its amendments.

Driving a car is not a right. Neither is healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies