Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I am a cancer survivor. Most of my close friends that I have made on this journey are breast cancer survivors. Tell them that you'll "stick with Komen". You might want to wear a seatbelt. And a helmet.

Pinkwashing is deeply offensive. Komen is the evil stepmother of the pinkwashing epidemic.
My mom is a breast cancer survivor, as is my Aunt and we will all be sticking with Komen!!

Love me some pink! Maybe I will get my Komen pink snuggle out of the closet for the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We'll see, won't we. Don't underestimate the power of women
I am a women and I NEVER underestimate my power!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,286 times
[LEFT]Komen Foundation to women with breast cancer: We will help you, unless the only clinic you have access to is Planned Parenthood.

Yes, it is their right to fund whoever they want. And it is our right to complain about it. I look forward to their next 'walk for the cure'. I will be a fitting statement to have a lot of people line the streets with their backs facing the participants walk participants. Maybe wearing black tee-shirts with 'shame' written on the back.

There's a "holy war" going on in this country, and this is another example. Wake up, people

[/LEFT]

Old 02-02-2012, 09:12 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Here are some great organizations that are worth supporting as an alternative to SGK:

Breast Cancer Research Foundation
http://www.bcrfcure.org/

Avon Foundation Breast Centre
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/avon_foundation_breast_center/make_a_gift.html

Breast Cancer Action
https://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6098/content_item/donatenow

American Cancer Society
https://www.cancer.org/involved/dona...FQpY7Aod1XlBsw

Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Maybe in your Taliban back country...it will turn into some sort of religious jeebus fest.

No self respecting woman will be seen in these "races" anymore.
Whatever. a close friend whom is a huge committee member for the race in my area said things are better than ever currently for the foundation. A few opinionated people getting angry because of planned parenthood is not going to hurt this organization at all.

I will work even more hard, and encourage all of my family and friends to do the same, to overcome the ridiculous and petty backlash from a pathetic few.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
My mom is a breast cancer survivor, as is my Aunt and we will all be sticking with Komen!!

Love me some pink! Maybe I will get my Komen pink snuggle out of the closet for the weekend.
Then keep being offensive to many breast cancer survivors - particularly male breast cancer survivors. Your choice.

Also, that Snuggie probably is made out of materials that are proven cancerous, as are MOST Komen supported marketing endeavors. Pink KFC, anyone?

Not to mention how utterly traumatic October is for many of my breast cancer survivor friends. Can you imagine what it feels like to walk into a store to be surrounded by reminders of your fight (or two, three, even four fights) with breast cancer? My aunt cannot leave her home for the month of October because of the trauma.

Think Before You Pink » Before You Buy Pink

Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Nation & World | Susan G. Komen foundation ends Planned Parenthood grants | Seattle Times Newspaper

Ridiculous. I've donated to the foundation for a number of years until I read about their bully tactics on smaller breast cancer charities (suing them for using "for the cure" when it wasn't copywritten for one thing) or their commercialization of a devastating disease. This is totally politically motivated, misguided garbage and yet another way for the hypocritical moral police to impose on people's personal sex lives. Abortions are a small percentage of what Planned Parenthood does, but yet again, the poor and undereducated are used as a scapegoat and led to the wolves.

Just another example of how America is rapidly becoming a banana republic and too many people don't even realize it.
Well, I wouldn't give another penny to the Komen Foundation and suggest that someone initiate a boycott of the organization. There comes a point when good people should stand up in front of the extremists, the GOP as well, and say ... "Enough." The Komen people caved-in and are unworthy of support. There are other organizations which support breast cancer research and care for affected women.

Read the linked article, above. Look at who the extremists are targeting. The most vulnerable. People who have few other places to turn to other than the care provided by Planned Parenthood.

1,211 posts, read 1,534,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Whatever. a close friend whom is a huge committee member for the race in my area said things are better than ever currently for the foundation. A few opinionated people getting angry because of planned parenthood is not going to hurt this organization at all.

I will work even more hard, and encourage all of my family and friends to do the same, to overcome the ridiculous and petty backlash from a pathetic few.

LOL you have no clue...get out of Taliban land and you will see the backlash this news is resulting in.

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
I will be discontinuing my financial contributions to Komen and already sent a check to Planned Parenthood yesterday. How dare Komen play politics with the money sent to them?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Here are some great organizations that are worth supporting as an alternative to SGK:

Breast Cancer Research Foundation
http://www.bcrfcure.org/

Avon Foundation Breast Centre
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/avon_foundation_breast_center/make_a_gift.html

Breast Cancer Action
https://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6098/content_item/donatenow

American Cancer Society
https://www.cancer.org/involved/dona...FQpY7Aod1XlBsw

These need to be repeated, over and over again. These organizations are all heads and shoulders better than SGK, even before this scandal.

Do not forget your local cancer charities - small, local charities and hospitals do a lot more good to cancer patients and their families than the large organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies