Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,711,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Not so. California's widely publicized proposition 8 banning same sex marriage in the 2010 election confirms this. Broken down by demographics, a higher percentage of Blacks voted yes on prop 8 than did any other group, including non Hispanic white Republicans.
1. Proposition 8 was passed in 2008, not 2010.

2. The latest Pew poll shows that 36% of blacks support same-sex marriage; only 23% of Republicans do.

Growing Public Support for Same-Sex Marriage | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 04:44 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,022,259 times
The acceptance of homosexual behavior is just weird to a lot of black people. It goes right up there with why a lot of black people just don't understand why white people like to go bungy jumping, attend nude beaches or see "camping" as a vacation.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 PM

674 posts, read 699,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You do realize Blacks were treated like that because of the Bible and religious views right?
Nope blacks were treated like that because of economics and white people used any excuse including religion to keep their pockets lined. At the end of the day slavery, imperialism, and colonization have always been and will always be about money.

Sexual slavery in Thailand and racial chattel slavery in Mauritania today are still about money. Buddhism and Islam are some of many tools used to justify slavery.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,108,165 times
"Why Is The Black Community In General So Homophobic?"

It's a mystery to me considering all the openly gay black men that live in every neighborhood. I remember Billy Ford who was as gay as gay could be and no one gave him a minute of grief. Of course there weren't too many people that dared taking Billy on one on one. Anyway, my great uncle was gay, one of my best friends in high school was gay, and I don't remember anyone giving a damn. As for black Christians... their isn't a black church in the country without at least one gay member in the choir.

Last edited by ovcatto; 02-08-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 PM

674 posts, read 699,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Right, because modern-day Africans practicing other religions are far less homophobic.
Africans who practice traditional religions are not afraid of gays so we are not homophobic. How did that term become popular anyway?

Many Africans who practice traditional religions (ATR's) just don't like gays or consider homosexual lifestyles as valid/longterm expressions of human existence. There are some ATR's were homosexuality is ok and some where it is not. In some ATR's homosexual behavior is acceptable in certain contexts and completely unacceptable in others. And within each ATR it still boils down to how individual people feel. Yup....millions of different brains functioning independently of one another. We are not a monolith.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,398,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Between Tracy Morgan's "comments" and Roland Martin's latest "statement", what the hell is wrong with blacks and homosexuality?
Most black people I know either know a gay black person, are related to a gay black or is a gay black person and they don't seem to have any issues with homosexuality. Due to religious beliefs most of the ones I know think it's a sin but that doesn't mean they're homophobic.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,224,989 times
I'm not black, but no one is afraid of homosexuals.

God created Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,512,828 times
Many blacks are religious fundies. Despite being enslaved and oppressed by christians, they still believe the old book of fairytales and it's 1 or 2 innocuous lines about men not laying with men or whatnot. It's very sad.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,759,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I can take this to a whole new level.

To another response who say it just doesn't feel right (I don't feel like quoting it), whites also didn't feel right having blacks cohabitating with them as sisters, brothers, cousins, partners, neighbors, or even patrons in the same store. Heck, at one right, whites didn't even feel right seeing blacks as completely human and only as animals and their slaves. Did it make it right for them to treat blacks as different or were they misguided?

As for this quote above, who said there is a god (I'm an agnostic/apatheist), and who says there was an Adam and Eve "created?" Just because you believe it's so doesn't make it so.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,512,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I'm not black, but no one is afraid of homosexuals.

LOL..and according to your little story book, they created Cane and Abel who somehow created offspring with......who
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies