Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times

Advertisements

I understand the importance of fragrances to some people. Believe it 0or not it can be life threatening. I don't however think we need laws prohibiting it but just an awareness some people may need accommodations in the event of an allergy. I think we provide way too many laws that penalize us. it will be be our downfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
New Hampshire considers perfume ban for state employees - Daily Dose: A Boston Globe blog with health news, advice, and information. (http://www.boston.com/Boston/dailydose/2012/02/new-hampshire-considers-perfume-ban-for-state-employees/JEftAGZy1Cdme70WYsI1QI/index.html - broken link)
Pretty much every private office has a scent policy. The modern workplace isn't supposed to be filled with perfumes and colognes. Why should the government not act like a private business?

Old 02-13-2012, 01:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Default Your rights stop where my breathing is affected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Yep, we all know the anti-smoking legislation wasn't about health, its because non-smokers don't like the smell. Now they are going to go after other products they don't want to smell.
There was a thread on this a few weeks ago, when this article was first published.

20 Most Common Chemicals in Perfume and Their Health Risks
You can find the same information and more if you do a little bit of research.

It's not the smell, it's the chemicals.
Causing headaches, anaphylaxis and other physical reactions and pain to others is a joke?

Between 14-20% of the population is allergic to many chemicals.

I'm allergic to aldehydes and petro-chemicals; I haven't been in a department store in 20 years or more. There are days I can't fill up my gas tank.

This is one topic where I know an awful lot.
Mainly because what I don't know may kill me.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I understand the importance of fragrances to some people. Believe it 0or not it can be life threatening. I don't however think we need laws prohibiting it but just an awareness some people may need accommodations in the event of an allergy. I think we provide way too many laws that penalize us. it will be be our downfall.
If only people would be considerate.
But they're not.
Many people (many who post on CD) would intentionally cause others harm.
It was done to me and I ended up hospitalized.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If only people would be considerate.
But they're not.
Many people (many who post on CD) would intentionally cause others harm.
It was done to me and I ended up hospitalized.
What? Someone walked by you wearing perfume and you had to be hospitalized?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
When do they start testing them for perfume use at home?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

Yep.

If this passes, I'm sure other states will enact similar legislation. Then a state will expand it to ban anyone from wearing perfume and cologne in public buildings, then it will be expanded to private workplaces as well.

I bet peanuts will be the next target.
What about people with body odor?

I guess people from India will have to stop eating Curry?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Come on now...if you are one who has a deadly allergy to fragrances, you should live in a bubble.

Or, perhaps the government should give you a bodyguard who pushes people wearing fragrances out of your way wherever you go?

Old 02-13-2012, 04:18 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Come on now...if you are one who has a deadly allergy to fragrances, you should live in a bubble.

Or, perhaps the government should give you a bodyguard who pushes people wearing fragrances out of your way wherever you go?
I do not have a "deadly" allergy to fragrances,BUT I remember how miserable Church was for me back when I was a kid until we figured it out that it was because of all of those older ladies wearing that cheap hairspray

I'm still that way to this very day..cheap hairspray,to much perfume etc etc and I get an almost instant migraine headache that nearly always leads to me getting sick to my stomach.

That being said,I smoke like a freight train,weld in smoke and fumes,paint vehicles,run equipment with diesel smoke blowing everywhere,haul cattle with them stinking like a dead mule etc and I can handle that...I just can't hack that Final Net

Old 02-13-2012, 05:04 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
I think something has changed about perfumes. I used to wear them in my 20s. Not often but occasionally and they never caused a problem. Now, they are either stronger, or people are wearing them more heavily. It's like the scent gets into my nose and mouth and I can taste it. Even after they leave. I don't get a headache or wheezing, but my eyelids start itching and the get a rash on them that lasts for days. I don't know what it is, but it's not comfortable.

My son, who does have asthma, got an asthma attack when we went into Ulta over Christmas.

Something is going on with the perfumes because so many more people are having problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies