Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times

Advertisements

We know by now that this is way overblown, pretty much a nonstory.

What I find very interesting, though, is how eager you right-wingers are to call public school teachers "state agents".

Do you have the same reaction to the idea that these state agents might be leading our children in prayer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 01:19 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
We know by now that this is way overblown, pretty much a nonstory.

What I find very interesting, though, is how eager you right-wingers are to call public school teachers "state agents".

Do you have the same reaction to the idea that these state agents might be leading our children in prayer?
OOOOO! Good question!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:23 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Our liberty is slipping away a little at a time
[snip]
If you don't see it you must be blind.
You forgot being strip-searched and/or irradiated to board an airplane. Thank you, Dumbya Bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
LOL. I can picture them in black trench coats!

Old 02-19-2012, 02:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You forgot being strip-searched and/or irradiated to board an airplane. Thank you, Dumbya Bush.

LOL. I can picture them in black trench coats!
Sorry there but the naked scanners only came into play in 2010..2 years AFTER Bush left office.
And the owner is a "buddy" of Obama.

Thank Obama, not Bush for the "enhanced security" at airports.
Your stimulus money at work produced those naked scanners.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:19 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sorry there but the naked scanners only came into play in 2010
Thanks for the correction.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

You are so smart. The crazy strip searches and full body scanners were started by Obama in January 2010 after the Christmas 2009 underwear bomber. All you libs can do is blame Bush. It is really pathetic.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,349,598 times
Quote:
Sorry there but the naked scanners only came into play in 2010..2 years AFTER Bush left office.
And the owner is a "buddy" of Obama.

Thank Obama, not Bush for the "enhanced security" at airports.
Your stimulus money at work produced those naked scanners.
I am not 100% sure (in other words, I could be wrong), but I believe that they were initially planned for or part of the FY2009 DHS/TSA budget. I know that they were testing a variety of machines in late 2008 to upgrade to. But when the rush was on, the big push was part of a later order with different funding (which would be during Obama's time). But they were already on the way.

(Only thing I can find at the moment is http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/ait/index.shtm, but Im sure some wont believe it since it is from the TSA)

The machines don't get magically spec'd, bid, reviewed, ordered, built and delivered.
Government isn't that quick.

Both L-3 and Rapidscan (and a couple of others in the scanner game) play the lobbyist game well. Like any other defense contractor. They are well stocked of former Congressmen consultant's, wifes of senators and a host of other insiders, to sell their wares.

Last edited by plannine; 02-21-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I am not 100% sure (in other words, I could be wrong), but I believe that they were initially planned for or part of the FY2009 DHS/TSA budget. I know that they were testing a variety of machines in late 2008 to upgrade to. But when the rush was on, the big push was part of a later order with different funding (which would be during Obama's time). But they were already on the way.

(Only thing I can find at the moment is TSA: Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT), but Im sure some wont believe it since it is from the TSA)

The machines don't get magically spec'd, bid, reviewed, ordered, built and delivered.
Government isn't that quick.

Both L-3 and Rapidscan (and a couple of others in the scanner game) play the lobbyist game well. Like any other defense contractor. They are well stocked of former Congressmen consultant's, wifes of senators and a host of other insiders, to sell their wares.
The connection here is Michael Chertoff and the CEO of Rapidscan, Chopra have ties and Chopra and Obama have ties. Chopra was even invited by Obama on his big economic trip to India last year.

Rapidscan doesn't have to play the lobbyist game..they have The Chertoff Group which is a direct "in".
Who better to open doors then being a client of the ex DHS chief.

Great article here about how "fear pays"
Fear Pays: Chertoff, Ex-Security Officials Slammed For Cashing In On Government Experience

Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,349,598 times
Quote:
The connection here is Michael Chertoff and the CEO of Rapidscan, Chopra have ties and Chopra and Obama have ties. Chopra was even invited by Obama on his big economic trip to India last year.

Rapidscan doesn't have to play the lobbyist game..they have The Chertoff Group which is a direct "in".
Who better to open doors then being a client of the ex DHS chief.

Great article here about how "fear pays"
Fear Pays: Chertoff, Ex-Security Officials Slammed For Cashing In On Government Experience
Again, the game is played, by everybody. Party name does not matter. If the other companies would have been selected, you'd have a former congressman consulting or employed directly or the wife of a long time senator and others.........

from the article:

Back in 2005, Chertoff was promoting the technology and Homeland Security placed the government's first order, buying five Rapiscan scanners.

Chertoff is an old cast off of George Bush administration, and Obama's administration has been a bit lazy in keeping Bush’s old advisers (or bringing them back) in many facets of government and not doing any of the homework themselves. I think part of that comes from being on the defensive since day one.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Again, the game is played, by everybody. Party name does not matter. If the other companies would have been selected, you'd have a former congressman consulting or employed directly or the wife of a long time senator and others.........

from the article:

Back in 2005, Chertoff was promoting the technology and Homeland Security placed the government's first order, buying five Rapiscan scanners.

Chertoff is an old cast off of George Bush administration, and Obama's administration has been a bit lazy in keeping Bush’s old advisers (or bringing them back) in many facets of government and not doing any of the homework themselves. I think part of that comes from being on the defensive since day one.
Or..both parties having the same game plan. It "could" go either way.
Just look at the recent NDAA...total and quick bipartisanship in getting that through the House/Senate/President and into law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies