Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Reactionary much?

Seriously?

LMAO. It boggles the mind, doesn't it? Not to mention that it frightens me that some of these people vote.

I'd believe the superintendent quoted in a story in a real newspaper before I'd believe hearsay and innuendo from unnamed individuals in an online rag with a specific agenda.
You didn't see the reference to post #224.
It did happen.

The state food inspector were coming to the school that day and an overly nervous teacher was afraid the school wouldn't pass inspection.

From the post #224:

USDA: Preschooler’s meal was not ‘replaced,’ mom was never charged fee | MyFOX8.com
“A teacher apparently was nervous during this state review and mishandled the situation,” Alexander said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:23 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It did happen.
Oh, good grief. Reading is fundamental, people!

I never said it didn't happen. I am questioning, because of the inadequacy and poor reporting of the initial article, and the discrepancies in two subsequent articles, whether this particular incident happened as reported -- no matter which version you read.

All we know is that someone -- and we don't know exactly who -- looked at the girl's lunch. Everything else is conflicting information, conjecture, hearsay, and unsubstantiated pronouncements by a reporter who should be fired.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:28 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Another reason never to believe anything reported by the media.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,949,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd believe the superintendent quoted in a story in a real newspaper before I'd believe hearsay and innuendo from unnamed individuals in an online rag with a specific agenda.
You ain't much of a reporter then:

Lunch replacement for Hoke County girl called mix-up by school, state

February 16, 2012 9:20 AM

Barnes quotes:
The girl thought she had to go through the lunch line for a new meal, Barnes said.
Typically, if a teacher sees a student with a lunch that does not meet the nutritional requirements, he or she will offer the child the missing components free of charge, Barnes said.
In this instance, Barnes said, the girl misunderstood her instructor and believed she had to get a new lunch rather than receive an additional element.

Critics see federal overreach in school lunch swap (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_162-57379713/critics-see-federal-overreach-in-school-lunch-swap/ - broken link)
February 16, 2012 5:41 PM

Barnes quotes:
The cafeteria details are true, but rather than an example of government "lunch bag police" overruling a family, it's an embarrassing lapse by a teacher, Hoke County Schools Assistant Superintendent Bob Barnes said Thursday.
The girl's teacher should have handed the child a carton of milk to round out the turkey-and-cheese sandwich and banana she brought from home. Instead, the teacher erred by telling the tyke to get a cafeteria lunch, Barnes said.

"I am so sorry this happened to this little girl," Barnes said. "On that day, the policy wasn't followed, and hey, we're the grown folks here. That's our fault. The teacher never should have sent that little girl into that line. She should have gone over and picked up the missing item and brought it to her."

Mr. Superintendent can't seem to get his story straight.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM

LOL..this is how it is in the schools. Reaction to incidents.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,640,556 times
Bureaucracy at its finest.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,949,135 times
Quote:
LOL..this is how it is in the schools. Reaction to incidents.

True, And they have a ready supply of buses to throw their 4-year olds and teachers under.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
because its something many of us can EASILY picture the nanny state liberals and/or puritan social conservatives imposing on us. It "rings true" even if it didn't really happe in this particular case, because big government from the left and right is CONSTANTLY imposing on our individual liberties in America now
In other words, "It doesn't amtter if it's true as long as it fits in with my tinfoil hat view of the world as presented to me by Faux News and RWNJ chain emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
The girl's teacher should have handed the child a carton of milk to round out the turkey-and-cheese sandwich and banana she brought from home. Instead, the teacher erred by telling the tyke to get a cafeteria lunch, Barnes said.
Now THIS gets me angry! Teachers gave me the same crap when I was a kid, telling me to "drink my [sic] milk." Are these morons, who supposedly deal with children as part of their work environment, REALLY so ignorant as to be unaware that the VAST MAJORITY of human beings on this planet are lactose intolerant and have no business drinking cow's milk? Dammit if the mother isn't putting "milk" in her kid's lunch, there just might be a good reason. Who needs ignorant teachers and school officials making kids sick?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
In other words, "It doesn't amtter if it's true as long as it fits in with my tinfoil hat view of the world as presented to me by Faux News and RWNJ chain emails.

Now THIS gets me angry! Teachers gave me the same crap when I was a kid, telling me to "drink my [sic] milk." Are these morons, who supposedly deal with children as part of their work environment, REALLY so ignorant as to be unaware that the VAST MAJORITY of human beings on this planet are lactose intolerant and have no business drinking cow's milk? Dammit if the mother isn't putting "milk" in her kid's lunch, there just might be a good reason. Who needs ignorant teachers and school officials making kids sick?
But the government says kids need to drink milk.
Teacher is just following what the USDA says because if they don't the school will get dinged and if they get dinged they won't get their money.

It's all about the money folks.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:27 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,706 times
Quote:
But the government says kids need to drink milk.
Teacher is just following what the USDA says because if they don't the school will get dinged and if they get dinged they won't get their money.

It's all about the money folks.
Are you sure it isn't the dairy industry saying humans need to drink milk? Seriously I looked for that requirement and couldn't find it anywhere. All I found was requirements of amounts of riboflavin, Vitamin D etc in a fluid beverage but not specifically that kids are required to drink "milk." That would be sheer madness. Heck there is an information page ON the USDA website explaining lactise intolerance at a child's level.

ETA I found it.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...l4-part210.pdf

Specifically:

Quote:
Schools may make substitutions for students without disabilities who cannot consume the regular lunch or afterschool snack because of medical or other special dietary needs. Substitutions
must be made on a case by case basis only when supported by a written statement of the need for substitutions that includes recommended alternate foods, unless otherwise exempted by FNS. Except with respect to substitutions for fluid milk, such a statement must be signed by a recognized medical authority.
Evidently the USDA IS very much aware of the issue of lactrose intolerance. I still cannot believe that in this day and age teachers and USDA agents would try to get kids to drink cow's milk. You would think as a nation we would have progressed in the last 40 years but no. School officials, teachers, and USDA agents have the right to make your kid sick if they want to.

That is not right.

Last edited by FrugalYankee; 02-17-2012 at 05:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies