Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They admitted it was a mistake. What do you want? Oh...just to bluster.
They only admitted it was a mistake because of the pressure, but if nobody would have said anything they would have keep on with their gestapo ways. Same thing with the Catholic church contraception mess, they only "compromised" because of the pressure. But their motives have already been exposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Local news had a story on it where the principle tried to make it go away by blaming the child for not understanding. The meal was deemed unhealthy because it did not have milk.

My oldest grandson, 11, a big strapping and healthy kid, never drinks milk for the simple reason he just doesn't like it.
Food preferences are a good consideration, and even more important -- allergies.

What if the child was lactose intolerant? An adult (authority figure) telling a very young child that the milk is better for him or her would probably be believed.

A morning report of this story mentioned the child is 4 years old. So, let me see if this makes sense: The principal of the school blames a 4-year-old child for "not understanding"? How much, exactly, do these highly paid early childhood professionals expect a child that age to "understand" in this type of situation.

Yep. I did say "highly paid". Evidently, it's not enough. Let's just throw some more money at education since it's not working that well as it is.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:05 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yeah. Because I don't like half-truths, half-baked premises, and outright fabrications in a so-called news story.

I'm surprised that anyone with any shred of intelligence would think this story is good journalism.

Maybe I shouldn't be.
Whether or not it is considered "good journalism" is not what is at issue. What is at issue is whether or not the story is in fact true and further that govco is sticking their noses where it does not belong..as I said, you didn't get half truths, you got THE truth, you simply didn't like the way it was presented.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 AM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They admitted it was a mistake. What do you want? Oh...just to bluster.
What they want is to somehow blame Michelle Obama for it.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Whether or not it is considered "good journalism" is not what is at issue. What is at issue is whether or not the story is in fact true
Isn't it? How can you believe a story that is not properly researched and written?

We don't know whether or not the story is true because the reporting only presented one side of the story. The fact is that the Carolina Journal has edited this story more than once for erroneous facts. Seems like I can't believe anything it publishes, can I?

If a source is in question, or if the reporting is shoddy -- as has been proven with this particular article -- it is not good journalism and is not credible.

If you care to trust a source like the Carolina Journal, by all means do so; it's no skin off my nose if you want to be misinformed. Just be warned that you're likely to be reading information that is hearsay, not corroborated, taken out of context, or just plan incorrect.

It's idiots like this particular reporter, who have no business writing a story that has not been thoroughly researched, who give the rest of us a bad name.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well if your read the original link you would have discovered that the government ISN'T regulating what children bring for lunch but rather mandating that children who do bring a lunch have their lunches supplement those lunches with appropriate foods.

The story clearly points out that the child in question had indeed been given a well balanced lunch and that the school employee had erred when they looked over the lunch and the regulations governing proper lunches.

As for the argument that this is an unwarranted government intrusion, schools intrude on parent/child relations from what children wear, their personal hygiene, mental and physical health, and parental care. It is a long establish principles in American education that schools operate en loco parentis (in the place of a parent) and I see nothing more basic than a child being provided a nutritional lunch.

Now along the lines of my original question, the hypocrisy extends beyond the food stamp/school lunch issue. Child obesity is a major healthcare problem for American children which results in millions of dollars being spent to pay for increasing numbers of children suffering from early onset of diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol all of which increase the cost to taxpayers for premature medical care.

Now I know that it isn't as much fun considering all of those issues rather than running off like Penny Henny screaming about the death of liberty, but if one wants to appear have way intelligent we sometimes have to think rather than just have fun.
The school told the child they had to purchase additional food. The school forced the parents of the child to spend money on food.

Childhood obesity should be none of the government's concern. Health care should be none of the government's concern. The federal government should not be involved in the lives of individuals. A person should be responsible for themselves. If a person has poor health habits, becomes sick and has medical bills as a result, that should be 100% on them. The government should not help the individual in any way.

Obviously you will disagree with me.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:07 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Isn't it? How can you believe a story that is not properly researched and written?

We don't know whether or not the story is true because the reporting only presented one side of the story. The fact is that the Carolina Journal has edited this story more than once for erroneous facts. Seems like I can't believe anything it publishes, can I?

If a source is in question, or if the reporting is shoddy -- as has been proven with this particular article -- it is not good journalism and is not credible.

If you care to trust a source like the Carolina Journal, by all means do so; it's no skin off my nose if you want to be misinformed. Just be warned that you're likely to be reading information that is hearsay, not corroborated, taken out of context, or just plan incorrect.

It's idiots like this particular reporter, who have no business writing a story that has not been thoroughly researched, who give the rest of us a bad name.
We do know it is true, I have posted the follow up link. But perhaps you are to busy criticizing the author of the original story to bother with facts.

And since it seems, you need direction you can find it in post #224.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Obesity in the United States is being blamed on the food we eat. The real reason for obesity is inactivity because we are scared to let our children outside to play. Crime is the reason for obesity in the United States. Maybe the Obama's need to work on that problem and the obesity problem would be solved.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM

1,110 posts, read 671,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup
In my district our elementary schools (k-5) DO NOT HAVE FOOD SERVICE which I think is a fantastic idea. Parents and kids have the option of brown bagging it or there is a parent volunteer system which they bring in hot lunches daily. You order/ pay in advance for which day(s) you want to particpate (Chinese Chicken broccoli & rice, Pizza, bagel/ sliced turkey, etc)...

So the district saves money by not having to construct, maintain, insure, and stock a kitchen/ serving area, no need to pay and pension the union lunch ladies either.

They direct the savings to enrichment programs: Foreign language starting in Kindergarten, Stringed instruments starting grade 2, Jr. Detective (reading comprehension, research, clue & fact finding). It also benefits the local economy (The Chinese place can guarantee 400 Chicken & broccoli orders every Wednesday, pizza place, order for 50 pies every Friday, etc.)

Less waste in food area (kids are provide with what they're parents pack for them), and if there is a specific need for to meet the highest magnitude of nutrition, it's on the parents dime, not the public's dime.

Could you imagine what it might cost to dish out poached organic chicken, edemame, fresh bean sprouts, brown rice and a glass of almond milk if it were (from truck to tray) required to pass through unionized hands???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Why do you hate working people?

Please elaborate on how you could possibly conclude from my post, that I hate working people.

The working people in our school's model are the parents who produce bag lunches for their kids, the private businesses that exchange ordered hot lunches for profit/ cash. The volunteers that distribute hot lunches daily, order forms, process payments and manage relationships with hot lunch suppliers and those that create, distribute and teach the enrichment program to the kids. I LOVE THESE PEOPLE...

Unless you're a bitter, disgruntled, unemployed lunch lady or a truck driver that's bummed about being denied the chance to distribute organics (or even state sanctioned trash that they consider lunch) to 'my' schools, I really don't see your point.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
We do know it is true, I have posted the follow up link.
LMAO!! The follow up stories were what exposed how poorly reported the original story was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies