Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:03 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

Maryland House of Delegates has passed same-sex marriage 71-67. It is pretty much certain to pass the State Senate (passed the Senate last year and died in the House) and will is supported by Gov O'Malley.

Quote:
A bill to legalize same-sex marriage won approval in the Maryland House of Delegates on Friday night, capping a dramatic turnaround from a year ago and all but assuring the measure will be sent to Gov. Martin O’Malley (D) for his promised signature.

After a day of emotional and contentious debate, the Democrat-led House voted 71-67in favor of the bill, sending it to the Senate, which approved a similar measure last year. No senators have announced plans to change their votes.

Same-sex marriage bill passes Maryland House of Delegates - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 05:07 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
People in Maryland better keep on the lookout for a meteor strike or an earthquake soon.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:21 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,420,374 times
Yay for Maryland!! Marry-land!! (No doubt I won't be the last to make that particular play on words.)

Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash255 View Post
maryland house of delegates has passed same-sex marriage 71-67. It is pretty much certain to pass the state senate (passed the senate last year and died in the house) and will is supported by gov o'malley.

same-sex marriage bill passes maryland house of delegates - the washington post
:d

Old 02-17-2012, 05:38 PM

441 posts, read 886,292 times
That would make it the third state this year on my count.

Why are the states passing gay-marriage bills all of a sudden: it seems to be happening in a spree across the country. Not that I mind, I just don't understand why they seem to be being passed in such rapid succession.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:42 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
That would make it the third state this year on my count.

Why are the states passing gay-marriage bills all of a sudden: it seems to be happening in a spree across the country. Not that I mind, I just don't understand why they seem to be being passed in such rapid succession.
Probably because support is gradually increasing and some states are clearly hitting the support level where equality is likely to pass. It's not surprise that so many of the more liberal Northeastern states have been moving in this direction. Aside from Iowa, none of the states have been really surprising. I would expect this trend to keep happening and gradually old amendments will start getting overturned even if the Supreme Court does not weigh in.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
That's great news for Maryland. Meanwhile, the governor of New Jersey wants to spend taxpayer dollars to have the people vote on it.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's great news for Maryland. Meanwhile, the governor of New Jersey wants to spend taxpayer dollars to have the people vote on it.
I don't really get how such a liberal state as NJ is run by so many social conservative Republicans.

And Christie has absolutely zero comprehension on how rights are granted in the US. Hint: Not by popular vote.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Probably because support is gradually increasing and some states are clearly hitting the support level where equality is likely to pass. It's not surprise that so many of the more liberal Northeastern states have been moving in this direction. Aside from Iowa, none of the states have been really surprising. I would expect this trend to keep happening and gradually old amendments will start getting overturned even if the Supreme Court does not weigh in.
This is not a liberal or a conservative issue. It's a one nation under God constitutional issue. It is not for me, any religion, or a Government, to play God. Gays exist everywhere on the planet, they need to manage their own lives and accept consequence for their own choices and let them be judged by their maker. Not my job. Not yours. Not Government. Not religion inc. That is Biblical commandment.

It's entirely unenforceable for secular law to ban a gay from being genetically NOT gay. They are what they are. If gays were the majority I would hope they'd uphold the integrity of principles and not force me by writ, medical abuse, social punishment, or any other malevolence they've seen-- for the 'crime' of being a heterosexual female. I am what I am, and THANK you lesbians refraining from disrespecting my orientation through harassment or coercion. I mean to return the courtesy out of common decency.

We'll all be better off, and a better practicing Christian nation, when we get away from forcing people into lying as a means of survival. Thou shalt not bear false witness applies to all. Especially those against gay marriage spending an inordinate amount of time lying to themselves.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
One of the good things about Maryland ios that we have a tool to curb the over reach of radical Dems. Any recently passed law can be suspended if enough people sign a petition. It then moves to a referendum in the next election.

This law will never see the light of day. In fact the deciding votes voted yes for that very reason. See you in November Dims!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies