Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
As it is written? In English?

How much do you know about the people who interpreted and translated the version of Bible you read?
Yes, as it is written. In English. I know nothing about the people who translated the various versions I read, however if they were some mass corruption, I'm sure there would have been a huge uproar by now. Although the wording is not the same in all of the translations I read, there is no difference in meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Calling someone's religious beliefs ridiculous shows a surprising lack of tolerance on your part as well.
I don't tolerate ignorance and superstition, especially when they are the primary source for blocking equal rights in the US and in many other nations. Do you really believe gay rights are being held back by atheists? Do you think women can't drive in Saudi Arabia because of secular law? Do you think people blow themselves up because of a lack of fervor? I think not. And before you say it, I'm not suggesting that non-religious people are in any way perfect, but it tends to not be them going ape-sh*t over social issues.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
What about the Scriptures that are against adultery, stealing, lying, murder, etc? Do you find these Scriptures to be true representatives of the Bible's original intent?
Well, they don't all quite mean what the English says. Murder, lying, etc. are rather generalized meanings of the original Hebrew. The Hebrew is more specific.

However, those laws have a logical reason for existing. Any society that wishes to thrive must make murder illegal. That law existed before the Bible. I believe Hammurabi's Code had an anti-murder passage. Basic reasoning tells us that must be viewed as bad.

The homosexuality views, however, do not have the same logical implications. They are based purely on cultural issues of the time, which is supported by the Bible if you would actually read them in context.

There is nothing logically immoral about 2 men loving each other. God does not care about gender. The Bible even says that.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
See what I mean? So many conflicting views. And not a bible scholar among us. Rather than cherry-pick the verses I don't like (and thus deem them unreliable), I'll just stick with the Bible as it's written. Otherwise, it all gets very messy.
Um, but you do cherry pick the verses you don't like. You quote Leviticus to condemn gays, but you ignore the other 600+ Torah laws that would be an inconvenience to you.

Everyone cherry picks the Bible. That's why there are 35,000+ denominations of Christianity. The Bible requires interpretation through the human brain. What someone believes it means is based solely on their personal views and experience with the world.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, as it is written. In English. I know nothing about the people who translated the various versions I read, however if they were some mass corruption, I'm sure there would have been a huge uproar by now. Although the wording is not the same in all of the translations I read, there is no difference in meaning.
Choc, the Bible wasn't written in English. And yes, there is lots of difference in meaning. Some translations completely omit numerous verses that are found in other translations.

There is obviously a change in meaning when some verses don't even exist!

1 Corinthians 6:9 has been completely corrupted in modern day translations. The etymology of the words Arsenokoites and Malakois were changed for absolutely no valid linguistic reason. It was done solely for political and profit reasons.

I don't understand how you can claim you've never researched any of this, but you're going to just believe whatever the heck you want anyway. You don't think that's the slightest bit dishonest and lazy?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Congrats to the great state of Maryland!!!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,728 times
Just another reason for me to hate my state. I heard about this on a local radio station yesterday and they said that two of the people who had been fighting this for a long time just happened to "change their minds". Gov. O'Mally probably helped them do that with just the right amount of money. Can't wait to move to Texas!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Very sad. Marriage is between one man and one woman and that's the way God intended it to be. Homosexuality is a very strange, bizarre and abnormal thing. Plus, the Bible tells us that it's a detestable sin and an abomination. People weren't designed or intended to be with their genders. If God had intended us to be homos, He would have created all of us as one single gender.
How's that law forbidding divorced people from remarrying coming along?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
OMG...please don't make this a racial "Blacks don't like gays" thing.
I'm black. I also know that many black people don't like gays. We're probably the worse race for supporting gay rights and equality.

Ironic since we've been the victims of prejudice moreso than any other race in history.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
I hear what you're saying....just didn't see the need to point out the black thing. Just further ammunition for folks who believe blacks are homophobic. Would love to have a discussion about gays/gay marriage that did not drag blacks into the discussion.
Well in all honesty we need to fix our issues. I'm tired of black people being so homophobic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies