Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well I guess I never read that part of the bible. I always wondered though how accurate the bible was since it's been interpreted so many times.
See my post above. I'm no Biblical or Talmudic scholar, but I did go through the whole Jewish upbringing - including 10+ years of Sunday School, 4 years of Hebrew school, Bat-Mitzvah, Confirmation, and a summer in Israel. So I have a fair grasp of what the original Hebrew text says/teaches, and don't recall ever reading anything about homosexuality (the word doesn't even exist in Hebrew).

Only the most traditional sects of Judaism have a negative stance on the issue, whereas us Reform Jews officially support and welcome people of all orientations. We even have a standing contingency at the SF Pride parade, usually led by the openly lesbian Rabbi from my old temple.

Quote:
But I suspect gays have been around from the beginning of humans.
Science would likely confirm that suspicion... and despite my cultural association with Judaism, I tend to believe science first and foremost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,195,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Very sad. Marriage is between one man and one woman and that's the way God intended it to be. Homosexuality is a very strange, bizarre and abnormal thing. Plus, the Bible tells us that it's a detestable sin and an abomination. People weren't designed or intended to be with their genders. If God had intended us to be homos, He would have created all of us as one single gender.
You're a closet homosexual. Come out and party with rest of us, Mary.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Sorry, but that's the hold up here. The black pastors in PG county are against this.
Yeah, that's pretty frustrating. They need to keep their beliefs behind church doors and stop trying to change our laws. Most people do not agree with their beliefs.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I just find it interesting the Scriptures some choose to believe and disbelieve. There are plenty of Scriptures that I don't agree with (and honestly, put a real cramp in my style), but that doesn't mean that they were inaccurately translated and/or twisted by evil no-good-doers.
I never said these inaccuracies were intentional, although it's highly possible some of them were - like the examples given by Fiyero. Again, I'm not a scholar by any means, so you'd have to ask somebody more knowledgeable for details! But even with my shaky grasp of Hebrew and the Torah, I'm able to tell you that many words & phrases were wrongly translated and/or interpreted.

And yes, it IS quite interesting how people pick & choose which scriptures to follow. Of course nobody could follow EVERY word of the Bible literally, but if they're going to use a passage to condemn other people, they have to expect people holding them to the same standards... otherwise it screams of hypocrisy, like if I condemned a driver for speeding as I texted behind the wheel.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
You're a closet homosexual. Come out and party with rest of us, Mary.
What about women agree with me? Would you say they were secretly lesbians?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
What about women agree with me? Would you say they were secretly lesbians?
Perhaps, but their being with you is no proof either way. Believe me, women are often attracted to gay men!

I strongly suspected one of my ex-boyfriends was gay (or bi), and that didn't affect my attraction to him... wonder if he ever came out of the closet? Hmmm.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Sorry, but that's the hold up here. The black pastors in PG county are against this.
What "hold up"? Are the black pastors now in the houses of Congress?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:29 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
What "hold up"? Are the black pastors now in the houses of Congress?
They have testified against this and are hoping it doesn't pass. Do you even live here and if you don't why do you card.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:29 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I think a lot of things have been altered in the Bible, although I don't see much biased motivation to alter the ones I just quoted. Unlike the supposed anti gay verses which were altered by conservative publishers to increase Bible sales.
What about the Scriptures that are against adultery, stealing, lying, murder, etc? Do you find these Scriptures to be true representatives of the Bible's original intent?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
What about the Scriptures that are against adultery, stealing, lying, murder, etc? Do you find these Scriptures to be true representatives of the Bible's original intent?
Those are all part of the 10 Commandments, which (as far as I know) are accurately translated from Hebrew - more or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies