Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Different scenario. We will be repealing a recently passed law which is constitutionally protected in the state constitution.

Anyway Prop 8 will be validated by SCOTUS. See you in November Dems.
Prop 8 won't ever be heard by the supreme court my friend.And given kennedys other descision on a similar case your side would lose. Maryland also has no constitutional amedment saying marriage is between a man and a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Actually laws like this drives conservatives out in droves it also converts a few staunch Black Dems to the GOP. In a close election that can spell the difference.

That's how Bush got re-elected in 2004.
Yes,they are sure coming out in droves for the primaries aren't?. Bush got elected because he was running against John Kerry for gods sake, someone he barely beat.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:33 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Currently polling indicates that 50% of MD residents surveyed support gay marriage with 46% opposed.

One of the deciding votes was Del. Alston (D-Prince George's) who opposed it last year. Her quote was that she was voting "Yes" because she knew this would be going to referendum. She also offered the approved amendment that suspends the implementation of the law if there are court challenges to petition signatures.

Same-sex marriage bill passes Maryland House of Delegates - The Washington Post

Coincidentally Alston is under federal indictment for misuse of campaign funds.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
OMG...please don't make this a racial "Blacks don't like gays" thing.
The truth is that most black christians are extremely homophobic. My mom, who lives in PG and is christian asked me about this last week. I told her I don't care what two consenting adults do as long as it doesn't hurt anybody and she walked away from me.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Folks grow up. Many of those who are against it are baby boomers who were also very liberal in their youth.
Why would their opinion change without any valid arguments being made by the opposition?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Many people who were against same-sex marriage for a long time have changed their minds. Its why support for it has jumped from the high 30's eight years ago to into the 50's now.
Exactly. People evolve - and that is a good thing. That is exactly what happened in my state - Governor Gregoire listened to her daughters and her grandchildren and realized there was no good reason to continue to discriminate against gays.
Quote:
Treating people as equals makes you hate your state, how sad.
It is sad, isn't it?

I've always been proud to be a citizen of Washington State and to be part of the Pacific Northwest as a whole, but when marriage equality came to this state, I felt a whole new LOVE for it and PRIDE in being from here.

Kind of hard to explain really, just that I'm thrilled that my state has taken this step and I hope for the remaining states (even Texas - maybe even especially Texas) to follow.

I believe that the poster who "hates" Maryland for taking this step is not indicative of the younger generation. I know to my own kids (and I have one her age), this is a non-issue to them - they have no problem with same sex marriage and I think they are really rather tired of the fighting and bickering over it and would just like to see marriage equality for everyone. And since the poster is young, I will keep my fingers crossed that the hate she's obviously learned in her parents' home won't follow her into the real world - that she, too, will evolve out of her hatred and be happy that this country is evolving - state by state - out of this era of discrimination.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Why would their opinion change without any valid arguments being made by the opposition?
yes and even my father says that gay marriage was not supported much in the 60s.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yes,they are sure coming out in droves for the primaries aren't?. Bush got elected because he was running against John Kerry for gods sake, someone he barely beat.
Actually he lost. But that's a whole nother story!!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Actually he lost. But that's a whole nother story!!
well the first one anyway.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
yes and even my father says that gay marriage was not supported much in the 60s.
Times are changing. I think your going to start to see overwhelming support for the government to stay out of personal matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies