Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 10:02 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
AND, there are Dr. "Movements" to prevent it also TM -
I doubt they are in the majority for one.. and are probably those types that are afraid of change or old horses on the way out..

My doctor is truly the BEST doctor I have EVER had. I travel 40 miles round trip into Queens to see him from where I am because I wouldn't want ANY other doctor. Why? Because he actually CARES about his patience and about the issues that confront many on the health care issue. To him, being a Dr. is what I believe being a doctor should be about.. taking care of people. It's part of the hypocratic oath.

He's assured me that the doctors getting together FOR a Universal Health Care System is VERY strong. This has renewed my feeling that change is a coming... those holding on to the "old broken way" will soon be grasping at straws.

It was very refreshing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 10:04 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I doubt they are in the majority for one.. and are probably those types that are afraid of change or old horses on the way out..

My doctor is truly the BEST doctor I have EVER had. I travel 40 miles round trip into Queens to see him from where I am because I wouldn't want ANY other doctor. Why? Because he actually CARES about his patience and about the issues that confront many on the health care issue. To him, being a Dr. is what I believe being a doctor should be about.. taking care of people. It's part of the hypocratic oath.

He's assured me that the doctors getting together FOR a Universal Health Care System is VERY strong. This has renewed my feeling that change is a coming... those holding on to the "old broken way" will soon be grasping at straws.

It was very refreshing!
Well, that's great TM. I'm happy you like your physican. I like mine also.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,608 times
Quote:
Well, that's great TM. I'm happy you like your physican. I like mine also.
Woops.. I mispelled patients.. my bad!!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
spell checquers dont get themn all.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,844,801 times
I trained in medicine here in London. It had the very best training techniques and the Hypocratic oath still stands for something here. As you can see from the links to Hospitals here in the UK, that our Hospitals are of a extremely high standard. When the NHS was first introduced in the UK, we had our share of people who couldn't ever see it working because of the lack of money, labour etc. We had just come out of a Huge World War and had little money or labour. Fortunately the project to build, fund and explore a radical NHS went ahead, dispite protests from the smug few. America is a huge country with huge resources. The normal everyday American people do not run from a challenge and i'm positive they will not run from the changes being called for in the Existing Failing American Health Service. The train IS leaving the station and it will be extremely interesting to see how many people who are "realists" jump on board as soon as they see how effective and economical it is. To spend Trillions of dollars on the Space Programme was not a problem so i can't see finding trillions of dollars for a superb UHC, that will benefit everyone, being a problem either. The new generation of Doctors, Nurses and tech. staff are looking forward to a new era in Health Care. The old guard of Private funded Doctors will be in the minority and in future Health care for the individual will come before Bank balances and Insurance profit. Good luck America--- I know you can do it!

Last edited by geeoro; 02-22-2008 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-22-2008, 12:17 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,298 times
Ok, let me pose this question. How much would my taxes be raised (percentage wise) to fund my share of a universal health care system? I simply cannot see it costing me less than the $500 a month I pay for my family given that the gov't would be operating it. I would much rather find a way for the free market to reduce costs by means of greater competition. How that would be achieved, I have no clue, but maybe someone has given it some thought?
We can start to reduce health care costs by denying free medical services to illegal immigrants! This would not solve the problem, but at least it would be a start.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,844,801 times
The UK is a extremely expensive place to live. We also have many many assylum seekers and our fair share of illegals using our health service. I agree with you that illegals should not get the services free. In fact i feel that Illegal should mean Illegal, but that's another story. I could not say how much your tax would be. Neither can the people ooposed to the UHC. They can quote studies until it comes out of their ears but it is only when you actually put the plan into motion will you really know the proper cost. All i can say is that my tax bill for my health service and pension etc. is far below $500 per month. I am self employed so i pay a small amount each quarter, About $80 and then i pay a amount at the end of the tax year depending on what i earn. Even in a amazing year i never pay as much as $500 per month and all my family -- wife kids -- are included.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
They can quote studies until it comes out of their ears but it is only when you actually put the plan into motion will you really know the proper cost.
Therein lies one of the difficulties with implementing such a drastic change in the United States - Americans WANT TO KNOW how much it will cost them

It is part of making an informed and intelligent decision

Old 02-22-2008, 01:02 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,402 times
I wonder if anyone has pie chart to show us how much of our insurance premium goes to:

1) broker commission
2) insurer administration
3) medical care
4) profit

Old 02-22-2008, 01:05 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,048 times
Quote:
No - honestly, I have never heard of Tricare
Tricare is military healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies