Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times

Advertisements

This. Absolutely.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This is a spin-off of another President's Day-themed thread. Which president's face do you think should be added to Mount Rushmore? Make your case.
Wow, two pages in and nobody's given a serious answer? Seriously? I'll go first and say that either FDR or Truman should be put up there if we added to it at all.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Wow, two pages in and nobody's given a serious answer? Seriously? I'll go first and say that either FDR or Truman should be put up there if we added to it at all.
Thanks, mack. The thread became a discussion about art, not politics. I was posing the question as a way to discuss "second tier" presidents or more recent ones. It became a discussion about the purpose and proper place of national monuments -- a good discussion, just not the one I intended. It has gotten me thinking, if I could alter Mount Rushmore, would I? I'm not sure I would. Any attempt to do so would meet fierce, and properly crippling, opposition.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:

I think everyone who posted it should be left alone was serious.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I think everyone who posted it should be left alone was serious.
I'm glad people care enough about it to feel protective.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Thanks, mack. The thread became a discussion about art, not politics. I was posing the question as a way to discuss "second tier" presidents or more recent ones. It became a discussion about the purpose and proper place of national monuments -- a good discussion, just not the one I intended. It has gotten me thinking, if I could alter Mount Rushmore, would I? I'm not sure I would. Any attempt to do so would meet fierce, and properly crippling, opposition.
you can't separate the art from the politics in this case. what if the question was if a new rushmore would be created who would be on it? one president for sure would have to be obama for just the historic fact he is our first black president. like his politics or not.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
I feel somewhat offended Mack...I offered my best serious suggestion.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
This is a mute issue. The face of the mountain can not support another image... it really doesn't matter.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 AM

41 posts, read 65,639 times
Quote:
This is a spin-off of another President's Day-themed thread. Which president's face do you think should be added to Mount Rushmore? Make your case.
Someone said it, the past 40 years of presidents, including the current slimeball in the white house have been office.
Politicians,presidents and public figures should be ridculed and insulted.
They are there for their own checkbooks and power trip.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I agree...they should just carve a big ol' horse's ass up there and that can represent them all perfectly imho.
I believe that feature will be eventually worked into the finsihed design over at Crazy Horse.

At this late stage I think it becomes more of a logistics and engineering matter than a "deserves" discussion. Simply put, the geology of the mountain (cracks and such) already altered the layout of those that are there and the exclussion of their torsos as originally intended. Therefore all the fat one's are automatically eliminated and maybe just a few that were really skinny faced could be even squeezed in. Maybe Andrew Jackson but it probably be better to modify one of the existing ones there now. They could start with Teddy Roosevelt cus he was only put up there to earn his favoritism anyways. The could put FDR in his place and as they were relatives there would likely be less alteration needed.

Last edited by Ghengis; 02-20-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies